Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
So my brother is selling his jetskis tomorrow to buy a boat. My family used to have a i/o but we sold it last fall for 8900. I rode behind that alot and now have been riding behind real wakeboats. Does anyone know or has anyone seen a decent boat for about 6k? If so let me know thanks
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-25-2010, 12:53 AM Reply   
Where are you located?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Looks like Colorado Springs.

80's CC 2001 or MC Prostar 190
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
skip the 190, very low freeboard so you can't add that much weight. The ones from the early 90's were the worst boat MC has built. Older supras seem to get a lot of respect on here, a little larger too.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-25-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
You should be able to find some supra sunsports 85's-89's close to 6k. Check out searchtempest.com it searches all of the craigslist locations for you, I use it all the time.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-25-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
I'm not sure where you got the idea that WAlove that the early 90s MC's were the worst boats MC ever built? That's a pretty dumb statement. The hulls in the 90's up until 97 were bulletproof and very reliable. Yes they do have low freeboards, but unweighted or with very little weight those hulls throw clean wakes. Are they the most ideal wakeboard boat ever built? absolutely not. They were built as world record slalom boats...
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-25-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Hey Paul, I live in the springs and have my boat at Pueblo res...if I see or hear of anything I will let you know! Colorado is not the best boat market unfortunately.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-25-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
As far as wakes are concerned, it's hard to beat the Correct Craft (Nautique) 2001 in that price range.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonwakerider View Post
skip the 190, very low freeboard so you can't add that much weight. The ones from the early 90's were the worst boat MC has built. Older supras seem to get a lot of respect on here, a little larger too.
Ha! I'm not sure where to start. 1) OP asked for boats in the $6K range. 2) I recommended 80's PS 190's, which do have low freeboards as well, but still throw a wake, which is all you really need 3) Your statement is very dumb, early-mid 90's 190's are pretty much some of the best boats ever made 4) Good luck finding a Supra Sunsport., especially for $6K 5) I have had an 89 190 for over 5 years, does it throw a Super Air or X star wake? No, but it throws a good one, especially with sac's in it (yes, you can load that down actually) and has had plenty of major tricks thrown down on it. The thought that because one boat is viewed as better than another does not make the lesser boat useless. Supra will throw a bit of a larger wake, prob not as good of a shape as a 190, and the CC 2001 will be better than them all.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-25-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
"skip the 190, very low freeboard so you can't add that much weight. The ones from the early 90's were the worst boat MC has built. Older supras seem to get a lot of respect on here, a little larger too."

My dad bought a 1992 PS brand new in 1992. We were into slalom, barefoot, and kneeboard those days, wakeboarding had yet to enter the scene. Fast-forward to 18 years later, and that boat still runs as good as new. My dad has always been really anal about that boat and always took great care and stayed on top of the maintenance. I have never wakeboarded behind that boat, but it is a fine boat and if it was my only option, I would be fine with it. For what it was designed for, a slalom boat, it is far from being the "worst boat MC has built".
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-25-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Heres a couple that might be of interest...GL

http://westslope.craigslist.org/boa/1786735191.html

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/boa/1804370945.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/boa/1806452514.html
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
"My dad bought a 1992 PS brand new in 1992. We were into slalom, barefoot, and kneeboard those days, wakeboarding had yet to enter the scene. Fast-forward to 18 years later, and that boat still runs as good as new. My dad has always been really anal about that boat and always took great care and stayed on top of the maintenance. I have never wakeboarded behind that boat, but it is a fine boat and if it was my only option, I would be fine with it. For what it was designed for, a slalom boat, it is far from being the "worst boat MC has built".
i know id catch some flack but i stand by my statement. I should have said hull, not boat though. The engine and drivetrain are fine but thats pretty standard in towboats. I have replaced more then one windshield because the hull would flex enough to let the glass fall out. Also i've been in one with 1000lbs of weight on one side for surfing and the deflection of the hull was noticeable, and the wave was still lame.

Yeah they are light weight, which is great for slalom and barefooting, but the thinner glass layup is evident. All other MC's i've been around seem really solid but the older 190's hull is thin almost bayliner thin. Plus if your in the market for a wake boat the 190 shouldn't even be a consideration, there are much better wakes for the money.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-25-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Sounds like you had some structure problems with the boat you were in. That was one of the first ski boats to run glass stringers in the bottom which is why it is hard to justify anything but an MC from that era.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
I don't want to seem to be picking on ya, but what better wakes are out there for $6K? Other than a CC 2001 and Supra Sunsport, and most of those don't go for that price yet. I'm biased because I have had one, but I really don't think people give the 190 enough credit. It's shape is perfect, sac it, and it gets the job done.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-25-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
"but the thinner glass layup is evident."

I don't agree with that. Maybe you were in a defective 190, but after almost 20 years of use (granted the boat doesn't get the use it did in the past but from 92 to 2000 the boat was out 3 to 4 times a week in season {which is long here in TN}), there is no signs of poor craftsmanship in my dad's boat (he was out in it Monday) nor signs of stress cracks, bad windshield, or anything that you have mentioned.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-25-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
2nd for an old supra. Deep for there day and nice and roomy. I think they even made a 23 foot.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-26-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
"quote" I'm not sure where you got the idea that WAlove that the early 90s MC's were the worst boats MC ever built? That's a pretty dumb statement. The hulls in the 90's up until 97 were bulletproof and very reliable. Yes they do have low freeboards, but unweighted or with very little weight those hulls throw clean wakes. Are they the most ideal wakeboard boat ever built? absolutely not. They were built as world record slalom boats...

just becouse some dude sets a slalom record behind a boat doesnt mean squat...sure they throw a good wake but they vibrate alot and have upped their quality since i have been in many pro stars and liked the wake for slaloming but that doesnt meen its a boat i would buy now in the 90s they seem cheeper than now days, if i were looking i would look at an early 80s cc, they make a decent slalom wake but can throw a huge wake when weighted.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
So Drew, are you saying that the quality of a new boat is better than the 92s or you would choose a new boat over a '92? Either seems like an obvious statement. I can't think of a better built boat in '92 than the ProStar. And I have to laugh at the decent slalom wake on an 80s CC. That thing was a tank......now back to the topic.

I think a lot of you are focused on size makes the best wake. Anyone heard of the Super Air Nautique? Tiny by today's standards, but quite the wake boat. A lot of the better wakeboard hulls have come from a hull based on a ski boat.

Personally I would rather be on the water than doing 100s of hours of re-building. The glass stringers in the MC allow a lot of these boats to still be in very good condition. Also, we had a '92 Malibu Skier back in the day. That thing when weighted could throw a pretty nice wake. Could probably find one of those in that range.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-26-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have a 1984 nautique 2001 and it has a real nice wake behind it. We have 800 pounds on each side of the engine and about two or three people in the boat. The wake is really good behind it. Your not gonna find a better hull for wakeboarding in that price range than the CC 2001. Only bad thing about them is that there is not alot of room for people and storing things.