Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
Anybody had a problem with their trailer sitting to far down on a 2" ball. When I lower the trailer onto the ball it sits so low that the latch hits the base of the ball and won't close. So right now I'm cranking down the trailer with one hand and trying to time closing the latch right when it fall onto the ball with the other hand. Its like there should be some kind of rubber pad or something on the trailer to keep it from falling so far down.

P.S. 2006 boatmate trailer (I might have to take pic's to make you understand)
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-05-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
when this happens, I lower it all the way down and then I get into the truck and put it into drive and then inch forward a tiny bit and the ball will settle in where it needs to be.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-05-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Yep, either wrong sized ball for trailer (if that were the case you'd probably have figureed it out by now... Hey, that's a nice boat passing me, wait that's my boat passing me!) Either that or you need to pull up to take up slack. My trailer has the ratcheting spinny knob jobbie not the standard flip latch. I tighten it snug when I hoook up then pull forward a few feet and make sure it's fully tight before hitting the road. Usually I'll get another click or two out of it after pulling forward.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Check the position of the hex on the ball itself. If it's not positioned so a flat is facing out (perpendicular to the hitch) you won't have the max amount of clearance. I think what your describing is pretty common. Nothing wrong with you trailer.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Dave I think you hit it on the head. I think the ball is turned where the flat at the base is running parallel to the trailer and the round part is facing the trailer. Jeff it dosen't matter how far you pull up it still hits the base of the ball.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Blair,
My boatmate trailer does the exact same thing. I just watch as I am lowering the trailer onto the ball and stop before the latch gets low enough to not close properly. After closing the latch, I crank the trailer on down.

Hope this helps,
Jman
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-05-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Have this same problem after having to buy a new stinger w/ball. The hexagonal base of the ball catches the ball lock. Did not have this problem before with non-indexing ball/stinger (supposed to make tightening and remove ball easier only need 1 wrench)
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I just looked at my truck and I can't turn the ball it has a pin with a grove to keep it from turning so it can only go on one way. Looks like I might need to buy a new ball and receiver.

Is that the kind your talking about Jim

(Message edited by jonblarc7 on October 05, 2009)
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-05-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Mine doesn't have a pin in it but the base of the ball is shaped like a hexagon, and the receiver has a corresponding shape to enable you to tighten the ball with only 1 wrench. On my trailer when I try to close the locking mechanism it catches on the front edge of the ball base - like you I have to raise the trailer up, close the latch and lower the trailer att he same time to clear the base. Pic forthcoming...
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-05-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
the ball base come all the way to the end of the receiver, is is a hassle but minor at that.

Upload
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thats it, Yea its not a big deal just one of those things that can get under your skin when you in a hurry.
Old     (whoanellie)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-05-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Looks to me like your trailer hitch ball is too high. The base of your drop hitch and the trailer tongue do not look parallel. See the way the drop hitch is pointing up towards the rear and the trailer tongue is pointing down towards the rear. I think you need a longer drop on your trailer hitch.
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-05-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
Actually that is a bad holding job (one hand holding receiver, other holding the camera) - boat is in the garage. The drop is about right when connected to my F150 - trailer frame sits level when connected. I can see what you are saying if I didn't know the rest of the story

(Message edited by jyoungusa on October 05, 2009)
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-05-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Blair, if your trailer problem looks like the one in the pic, here's what I do and our boats/trailers are pretty similar. When I have the trailer jacked all the way up, I pull the trailer forward or back the truck up until the ball rests against the part of the trailer tongue that is sticking down hitting the hitch. Then I lower the trailer down. If you do that you shouldn't have that problem. Since you just bought that boat, lube that hitch up with WD 40, AeroKroil or some lubricant and it should slide right on.

(Message edited by dudeman on October 05, 2009)