Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-15-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Due to the current economic conditions, I am considering an upgrade to a used 2007-2008 X-Star.

What options are a must have on an X-Star?

What do I need to look out for or stay away from in a used X-Star?

Thanks in advance.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-15-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
pro tour ballast is nice to have

maybe zero off was an option in 08 -- super nice

other than that I donno what would be good.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-15-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Like Nick said the Pro Tour ballast is a must if you want to put a lot of weight in the boat. It makes things so easy. Never deal with a fat sack or pump again.

The Zero Off wasn't an option until 09' but there are a few out there with it on. Most of the athlete boats have it on there.

Other than that I am a big fan of the heater and heated seat...and, I live in Orlando. So, I can imagine it would be great everywhere else. Other than that they are basically all the same with the exception of the number of speakers and lights.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
For us, we always get the heater and shower. The Perfect pass works great on these so zero off is not that important to me. Nothing to really stay away from IMO, but if it is an 07 make sure that it has the tower braces.

Other options that we always get are bow filler cushion and fiberglass platform. My wife loves the bow ladder.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-15-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
http://www.redlinewatersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=01957666X12K15K2008J4I2 0I08JPMQ2838R0&veh=58544&pov=1000565

My 08 for sale, I can even work something on delivery.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-15-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
"Due to the current economic conditions, I am considering an upgrade to a used 2007-2008 X-Star."

Due to the current economic conditions? What do you mean?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-15-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   

quote:

By The Truth (boomshot) on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 4:56 pm:

Due to the current economic conditions? What do you mean?

Seems pretty self explanatory?

I do not want to speak for PBP....but I assume he means that if you have money to spend, it is a GREAT time to spend it.

Individuals and/or retail places of business are REALLY trying to move high dollar product......

You know, like buying the house down the street that 18 months ago sold for 1M and current residents cannot pay the mortgage....and you pick it up for 700K.... Or the builder is sitting on a house that he wanted to sell for X...and now is forced to sell for <X because lending has tightened....

Anyway........carry on...
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-15-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
I'd suggest at least the LY6 if you wanna run pro tour ballast...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-15-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
^ not needed.

the 5.7 moves 3000 lbs of ballast just as fast as the 6.0 with the right prop
Old     (dscorni)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
8.1 and a warranty, a must.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-15-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
thats not a funny joke
Old     (dscorni)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-16-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
joke?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-16-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
Ask Travis...

MCX is great, LY6 is only better..
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-16-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
The MCX does a really good job, especially with the right prop. It's only an issue if you have the boat fully weighted and 6 or more people in the boat. And, if you do, just drain a bit out of the rear, it will make a huge difference. The LY6 is better if you are going to be running a lot of weight all the time. Personally I would stay clear of the 8.1
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-16-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for your comments...I have been going back and forth on the motor size. I think it is going to be based on the boat (color, scheme, etc) and less on the motor for me personally. 8.1 is a hog on gas. I didn't even know about the pro tour ballast. :-) You guys are awesome.

boomshot: Deuce is right, there are a ton of boat for sale way below the values we have seen in the last 4-5 years. I personally feel like this is a great opportunity to get a 30% discount on a 1-2 year old boat. Cash is king right now.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Dave: Tell the people of W/W how many 8.1 motor's has your boat gone threw.

Its no Joke.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-16-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
thats why I thought Dave S. was joking.... 8.1 sucks
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-16-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Phatboypimp,
I just sent you a PM about the Ronix Team Xstar I have for sale. It is a loaded 2007 at a huge discount. No protour ballast but we can hook it up.
Old     (dscorni)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-17-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
Only one for me "G". But there getting good at R&R ing them. Didn't even miss a beat last year. We'll see what happens this year.
Still can't beat the power of the 8.1.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       12-19-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
well put, if you're running a crap ton of weight all the time, 6.0, if not 5.7 and go 14.5/14.25 Acme. That is what I run with full ballast, V-Drives and lead up front plus a couple/few people. More people=empty some weight. It is money. If you're looking to save money and not so concerned with having the warranty, go for an 04 or 05, save a LOT more and have the same exact boat. I love my 04 and can't imagine a bretter boat. Does everything I need.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-20-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Personally I like the '08 boats better than the '07. The tower is a lot more solid. The guages on the new boats are OK. The old ones work just as well. The pro-tour ballast is nice, but it's a bit slow. We still do the pump and sac thing, but mainly we do the lead thing. We leave our sacs full all the time. It only takes moments and were fully at ride weight. The down side is that it's not trailerable. I guess it all depends on whether you have to tow to the water or not. When we tow we drop the water weight and move the lead to the center of the boat.

The MCX isn't enough motor if you ride heavy. Flat out..... it's not. It's OK for moderate weight and for most people. I don't care how it's propped. If you can't run full ballast and 8-10 people in a boat that size you don't have enough motor. IMO the LY6 is the best all around motor in the line. Prop it right and it'll pull up all the weight you need. Gas mileage is a bit worse than the MCX, but it's a big heavy boat and gas is cheap now. LOL!!! The 8.1 is the TRULY bada$$ motor. It transforms the boat and the wake. We've never gotten the same wake from the small block boats. Those who know, know that they've had some reliability issues. MC did some major re-working on the exhaust and programming on the new big-blocks, plus they gladly stand behind the warranty. I think they turned Dave's boat in under a week with a brand new motor, right? Proper break in on the big blocks appears to be very important.

Any way you go, you wont be disappointed. I love the X-stars. They're huge inside and make an un-real wake when weighted right. Find a '07 or '08 with a LY6 and you'll be truly stoked. FWIW... At the delta with current the stock MC speed control and the PP both work excellent. The PP is a bit more user friendly for people that aren't used to driving your boat. If you have a lot of different drivers PP is the way to go.