Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-24-2008, 5:13 AM Reply   
I am going to check out a low hours 2000 Wakesetter VLX soon. Now I know this is a wakeboarding boat but will it ski ok for the recreational skiier? Also any particular issues I shoudl look for? Or any known problems that I might want to ask about. It is a basic VLX, 325HP motor, tower, and center ballast, dual axle trailer. Asking 24K, with the way the economy is do you think that is good or with winter coming shoot for 21K? No real options on the boat, no racks, wedge, perfect pass but is in great shape with 180hrs or so. Thank for any help and input.

(Message edited by nvip9r on September 24, 2008)
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
I went from a excelent ski boat and a good wakeboard boat in an '89 2001 nautique to a top of the line wake board wake and a bad ski boat in my '97 VLX. Although I have only tried 75', maybe if I took off 15' it may get better but the wake seems to be pretty bigg at that length.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-24-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Were you sorry you did it? We don't really ski much, but with 2 kids getting older hoping to get them into skiing and wakeboarding. I have an old 86 inboard and figured time to upgrade. We are not good at wakeboarding but looking for something bigger and newer. Used to have an old i/o and the wake was rather large on that too. Will the VLX be similar to a i/o boat sking wise?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-24-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
The boat is great for wakeboarding, and 2nd for skiing. It has not been used much, drive it for few hours and make sure everything works. Maybe a compression test on the motor and some maintenance records? I highly doubt you get the boat for 21K. You dont need the wedge on this boat, put some 600's in the rear lockers and some weight in the front as well. Although what it has may be fine for what you'll be doing. Racks, Perfect Pass and you're all set.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I agree with Hairband. I have a 00 vlx and its wedgeless. Those hulls DO not respond well with ballast and wedge....Wait I take that back. If your running a lot of weight (2K plus) the wedge is counterproductive. I dont know how it responds when you just have a little or no weight in it.

As far as things to look for:

Crawl around the boat, verify the owner hasnt hacked up the wiring to install a stereo etc. Check compression, check the front of the engine for water deposits from a going out water pump. Check the bilge for oil leaks of any kind. Check steering and throttle for stiff-ness. You should be able to move the steering wheel with one finger. Make sure all the gauges work. Check the windshield frame for chipping of paint and loosening of screws. Pull up cushions and check for moisture. etc. etc.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-24-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
The wake is fine for skiing.

I have a 2002 VLX. I am not sure if there is much difference in the hull. I think it is actually a good ski boat.

I am first a wakeboarder and second a slalom skier.
However, I do have a slalom course which I ski my Wakesetter through. I can get through the course at 34mph at 32 off behind my "vlx, wakeboard boat".

For wakeboarding, I use the wedge and about 2000 lbs of ballast and the wake is great.

The only other wakeboard boat I have skied behind of that age would be a 2000 Super Air Natique which is a horrible boat for skiing, in my opinion.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-24-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Excellent thanks for the help. There are a couple other people checking it out first so I am after them if they don't buy it.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-24-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
I just read more. My vlx was much better for skiing than my Dad's 19ft I/O. You should be happy with the VLX, assuming it runs good, etc.