Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Working on my limited budget stereo install and could use some suggestions for speakers. I'll need four 6.5 two way speakers and the amp is a 60 watts RMS x 4. A local installer highly recommends the JBL 6.5 http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/31991.html . I know this is a small project compared to most of the stereo installs on this website but I'd appreciate the help.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Kicker Zx350.4 = 60W's x 4 @ 4ohm. Can power with a 50A circuit breaker/fuse and 8ga power wire.

Kicker MK650 marine speakers: 6" woofer, 3/4" tweeter / 65W's RMS, 195 peak. 4ohm driver.

If you really want to keep the budget light. Look at the Kicker DS650's = 6.5" woofer, 1/2" tweeter, 100W's peak.
I've installed this amp in probably a dozen boats this year, and used both speakers in some.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Ran across these polkaudio speakers on sale at Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=107MMC650&tp=95 . They even have a 3 year warranty!
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
TigeMike the Rockford P450.4 http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=575P4504&tp=115 is what I was looking at. Sounds pretty close to the Kicker. Are these type of amps to much for running only one battery?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Polk and R/F are good stuff, that would make a pretty good match up.

With the engine running, no, with engine off, depends on how long you want to play and at what volume. I'm guessing that amp will draw about 15-17amps at .5-.75 volume.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-14-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
Not at all. Can easily run off the one battery. IF you ask me the Kicker stuff is the best bang for the buck. Solid reliable power.

Those Polks are a Solid speaker especially if you are not running a sub. I think the Kicker's are a little crisper so if you have a dedicated sub they would be good, but if you don't the Polks give a great true sound in the open air of a boat.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike, there was a time when louder was better but these days it's more lower volume with clean crisp sound. We do listen to the stereo with the engine off but not for very long periods. Down the road I may install a second battery but for now I'd like to get away with just the one.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Thanks Swatguy, trying to get by without a sub so sounds like the polks will work. Anybody used the JBLs?
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
gary,
Get you a portable battery/jump starter... I keep one on the boat.. like $40 at Wal Mart.
that way if you run the battery down you are covered!
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
Great idea! I've read some discussion about using a capacitor with a amp. Can someone tell me why and how you would use one?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-15-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
A CAP is nothing more then a battery current storage device for short-term, high current draws such as when a sub hits really hard putting a peak load on the system. A battery can't always flow current fast enough for those peak draws, and the system will drop out or distort. 9 out of 10 boat systems dont need a CAP.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-15-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Mike makes a good point about a cap. There are misconceptions throughout the forums over what a stiffening capacitor actually does. A cap is only of benefit when the voltage and state of charge are optimized. Caps do not provide storage reserves beyond the transient nature.

The Polk MOMO are very good. Very smooth. Require more power. The Polk dB series (dB651) are more sensitive with more aggressive highs but are still considered to have a smooth response when compared to other speakers in their price bracket. The Polk dB are buy one set and receive the second set at half price, averaging $75.00 a pair. That is a great value.

David E. M.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-16-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
memphis marine sound great and great price
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-17-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Was at BestBuy killing some time today and tried a few different speaker combinations on their display board. Compared 6.5 two-way, 6x9 three-way and component (6.5 woofer / 1.0 tweeter) speakers. No surprise that the components sounded the best but the bass was noticeable better than even the 6x9 speakers. Is that typical?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Gary,

While that scenario might not be accurate in the context of a vehicle it is typical in a display. All these automotive speakers are built for an infinite baffle, like a door or trunk. In store displays the speakers are generally housed in small enclosures which inordinately raises the resonance of the large speakers. It’s the same with tower pods where 6x9s are compromised more than 6.5s

David E. M.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-18-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Thanks David, that makes sense. In a boat install with a more open application (speakers located below the seats) would you then get more bass form a 6x9?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
Gary,

Sure. But if you’ve got a subwoofer and you’re running the satellite speakers high-pass then there is no reward for the additional surface area.

David E. M.