Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
I noticed on my boat today, a 99 maristar I've only had a week, that when I go from forward to neutral, it makes a squealing noise for a few seconds. It does not do this when I am under power either forward or reverse, only when going from forward to neutral while the boat is moving. It is coming from the rear of the boat, but I can't pinpoint where. I called my dealer from the lake and he said it was normal harmonic drive line vibration and all boats do it from time to time.

Is this true? Should I be worried?
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
??? I'm not sure, Could be a prop issue? I had my prop repaired and ever since, it makes a squealing noise from neutral to forward but goes away at higher speeds. I think the pich of my prop is slightly off, but does not vibrate the boat.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2008, 6:32 AM Reply   
I have just changed from a cast prop to one that is CNC'd.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-14-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
I just started hearing some squealing in my engine. Sounds to me like it may be a pulley bearing. The noise was present at idle but went away when throttling up.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
It is not a normal drive line issue. Loose belts can squeal and is often worse when accelerating or at low speeds. The transmission can make noise but it should not. Low fluid, worn plates, etc. can cause noise from the transmission. I would insist that the dealer fix it before something worse happens. Sounds like a dealer that wants time to pass so they do not have any financial responsibility.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
The transmission also makes a grinding/growling noise when at VERY low speeds (just off idle) I was also told this was normal on a boat with 600 hours.

I don't want to be that customer that complains about everything, but I don't want this to cause a major problem next season that causes me to miss time out on the water. Should I take it back in for repair?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I don't think it is normal. I put 700 hours on one boat and 450 on another. Neither ever made a sound from the transmission or v-drive. You might hear some gear noise, more common in reverse, at idle speed but not grinding or growling. I would be concerned if my boat was making any of those sounds that the transmission was about to fail and a big expense and downtime when it happens.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Maybe I'm over exaggerating the problem. Still, I think I'll let the dealer know and have them check it out when it is time to winterize.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-14-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
water on a belt?