Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
I'm reading specs on different audio head units and find that the pre amp volts ranges from 2-6 volts. The claim is the higher the pre amp voltage the cleaner the sound quality is to the amp. Do you think this is something noticeable or just sales hype?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
More noticeable the longer the RCA cable run is, but why not spend the extra couple of bucks and just be happy the first time.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Yes it does make a difference esp if you have a longe distance b/t head unit and amps.

In all reality 6 volts is not that high of a signal in the car/marine audio world. I am running a head unit that puts out 4v into a line driver that can boost it up to 12v...but my amps only handle 8 volts...so I have an 8 volt signal.

As long as your amps can handle a higher voltage, then go for the highest you can get. It will be louder, cleaner and your amps wont have to work as hard. If you want a stroner signal, the next step would be a line driver.

I would consider two options: a good head unit with a minimum of 4v...or if you only use an ipod, take a look at the Wetsounds WS-420( it is both a source, line driver and EQ.

It is as simple as garbage in...garbage out
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Thanks, It's a only 2 feet from the head unit to the amp so that's not a problem. I'm looking in the 200$ range for a head unit and the marine models are 2-4 volts. Clarion has a car audio head that provides 6 volts so I was trying to determine how much of a impact the voltage makes. I'm doing a very simple stereo install with one 2 channel amp and four 6.5 speakers. Just trying to have descent sound when we're hanging out in the boat.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-12-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
Gary,

A triple preamp output with high voltage (4 volts) is for real. There are several clearly audible benefits.

Higher gain at the source unit means lower gain settings at the amplifier inputs. This translates to a lower noise floor.

The difference is dynamic range, not necessarily volume but the contrast within the music is profound.

If you are adding an EQ for instance, then the inherent line driver negates the benefits of a high voltage multi-output preamp.

David E.M.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
IMO, don't waste your time with Clarion or for that matter a marine head unit unless you look at the alpine marine units but your looking around $300.

I would take a look at the Alpine CDA 9886 which is not marine but has 4v preouts and you can find it for around $230.

Search "Alpine CDA 9886" on google...this is a great H/U
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
I've read good things about the Pioneer DEH-P600UB and you can get a marine wired remote for it. I went on Crutchfield and looks like Alpine is coming out with a new RF remote for the CDA 9886M I'll have to give them a call for more details. Any suggestions for a amp that is going to drive 6.5 speakers.
Old     (sexyc4)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-12-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I have used many of the pioneer decks in cars and boats and for the most part love them. The biggest problem if you plan on getting the cdmr80 remote with LCD is that it won't display Ipod info or sat channels on the remote nor will it tell you that you are on those sources. I have called Pioneer and spoke to them about these issues and they seem to have no fix in the near future.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
I've read about those issues with the Pioneer remote. I'm not concerned about the sat and ipod but if someone were to buy my boat they might be disappointed. I'm surprised that everyone is down on Clarion. I always thought they had a good reputation.