Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
I just rec'd another shipment of lead.
(The last one I put into 1 gallon luandry detergent containers and drove with them in the back of my truck, to vibrate/settle them, then added sand to fill in the gaps. covered them with duct tape to reinforce the container. and have been using them in the bow of my boat. about 80 - 100 #'s each)
any body have a good suggestion of how to make the most of this?
I rec'd 2.5 buckets (5gal. each) of used wheel weights
should I melt them down? how?
shread them (how) ?
do what I did last time? at least there is a handle to move them with.
(if I do the same thing as last i will use concrete to fill in the gaps, That way if the container breaks it will be ONE solid lump, mostly)

any ideas would be appreciated.
I would like to be able to move these (for surfing and storage-out of boat)

Thanks.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-09-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
melt them in to an old bread pan and make bricks.. a bbq will get it hot enough just dont ever use the bread pan for anything else.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-09-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
3 inch pvc, cut it to desired length, fill em and then cap it off. we also used to go to the side of the house where we had dirt, dig a small trench, then melted the lead down using a camping stove and a pot. once melted we poured it into the trenches as then pulled them out once cooled, and put them into the pvc pipe.

we also used to use old chlorine cantainers, much like your laundry detergent bottles.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
If you melt them make sure you have a good respirator the fumes are very toxic.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
sell em to china
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
so about how much does a five gallon bucket of lead weigh?
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-10-2008, 3:51 AM Reply   
five gallon bucket weighs about 100#'s
(that is a guess)

Once you guys melt it down do you cover the bricks with something (paint)?
I do not want something that will create a mess.
Or be too heavy to lift.
The laundry detregent bottle worked, but it seems as thought there is alot of air in there. For the size, it is lighter than a solid pc of steel. Although the handle and works well and it is about heavest i would want be moving around a boat, while on the water.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
5 gal = 150#

I've got a gas grill and another 150# or so and I think I'm going to melt them. Turn on the grill, put the pans on and walk away. Come back in 20 mintues and cut the gas.

Last time, I found some solid canvas zip pouches and filled them up with the weights. Been holding up for 2 yrs now. And they've been moved around quite a bit. 35-40# each and handy to adjust balance of the boat.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
who cares (liljohn) on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - melt them in to an old bread pan and make bricks.. a bbq will get it hot enough just dont ever use the bread pan for anything else.

This is exactly what I did. Measured the spaces I wanted the weight to be & made all the bricks to size. Covered them with HomeDepot outdoor carpet & Liquid Nails.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Listen to what Ben C said. You need the right kind of respirator.
I'd keep the weights small enough to move easily.
You can use a product like this to seal it an protect your fiberglass.Upload
They also sell that coating by the gallon.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Also when you melt them don't get water near the molten lead. Let's just say it will be an explosive situation.