Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
I just bought a bunch of gas cans for my boat and with the new saftey spouts they are using the cans are a total pain in the @ss to pour. Has anyone here come up with their own DIY replacements that are more like the older style nozzles or even something with an on/off valve? i spent some time roaming the aisles of home depot today but couldnt seem to come up with anything. thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-08-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
are they ra ce jugs. 5 gallon jugs??? what type of jugs are they
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
they are just regular 5 gallon red plasic cube/regtangle jugs. sorry i cant think of a better way to explain it but they are basically like a big version of a jug you would fill up your lawn mower with.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Don't use those. Thats the key. Get 5 gallon jugs from jegs.com and make your own tops....the caps come with plugs you can remove to fit a hose. Just to to the hardware store and figure out a good sealed hose setup. Done.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-08-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
dh said it. Get good jugs. Mine are from a race shop like jegs. i put the hose and a valve at beginning of the hose. way easier to use. tip the jug , hold and open valve, fills up awsome
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
Here is what I do:

Buy some clear vinyl hose from the hardware store. Get the hose that is just about the size of the opening to the gas can. Cut is about 3-4 ft in length.
Put the gas can on top of your engine cover, or somewhere where the bottom of the gas can is higher than your boats gas cap/input.
Stick one end of the hose in gas can so it goes all the way to the bottom of the can.

Stick the other end in your boat's gas tank/input.
Make sure the vent is closed on the gas can.
Place a rag around the hose that goes into the gas can, to seal off the gap between the hose and the gas can opening. Make it air tight.
Squeeze the gas can.
Watch the gas go up the hose, then down into your boat.
Once the gas is flowing, take away the rag and undo the air vent.

The can will drain in about 30 seconds and you won't spill a drop of gas.
If you do it right, you will be able to syphon about 90% of the gas. The rest you will have to pour the old fashon way using your ghetto spouts. Since it will be just a small amount of gas, your spouts won't bug you.

I have done this for years.
It works awesome.
I have a Malibu.
Some boat's gas input is not large enough for the size of hose you need to make this work well.

When you do this, make sure you are not close to being full.
The gas comes out really fast, and it will back up if your tank is too close to being full.

You can buy gadgets to do this - but the home grown method works best.
My buddy learned this from guys in Hong Kong who bought gas on the black market.
I figured I would pass onthe type.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
thanks for the help guys. looks like i should have just gone for the better quality jugs but now that im stuck with these im going to have to find a way to make them work. thats a pretty good idea dave, and will be cheaper than making custom spouts for all 6 cans.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-08-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
Dave...bingo
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2008, 11:35 PM Reply   
I had two of the old style vented cans till about middle of this year. One of them got too old & cracked. So I've been dealing with one of the POS self venting cans the last couple of months. What a PITA.

I'd be tempted to do something like what Dave suggests, but then I have to deal with a gas soaked rag somehow. Can't leave that in the boat & I certainly don't want it in my Avalanche.

I thought about one of those gas caddys but can't figure out how I'm going to unload a 200+ lb gas can from the back of the truck, much less wheel it across 30' of sandy beach.

I checked out the Jegs cans. Plus I looked on Ebay for "gas jugs". Lots of options available, many of which don't have a 2nd handle to hold while it's pouring. And most of which are over $20 or $30 each, plus caps & hoses are extra?

What a PITA they have made it get a friggin descent gas can that doesn't blow all over.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-09-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
This is what I do. (similar to dave)

I have a 3ft piece of clear hose. Looks like the stuff for a fat sac pump. I put it over the can nozzle and the other end in the boat. Tip the tank it pours in fast, and no spills.

(Message edited by ethan31 on September 09, 2008)
Old    walt            09-09-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
Problem solved. http://store.coolcoolerparts.com/simajisi.html?gclid=CNKf9bDdzpUCFRIcawodTEpxhw

I use it all the time and it works great. It's fast too.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2008, 6:06 AM Reply   
I use the 15/30 gallon gas caddy's along with the 13 gallon racing jugs. The gas caddy's are expensive and slow but IMO are the easiest way to transport fuel.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-09-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
Walt got it. The jiggle syphons empty the can in under 2 minutes with no spills or hassle.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
+1 on the jiggler that walt posted. You ABSOLUTELY do not need to use race jugs or special spouts. We have a race jug and we still use the jiggler on it.

Harbor Freight for the jiggler, well under $10. Hold the jug up at waist level and shake a few times then forget about it.