Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (kyle945)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Im looking at adding a FAE on my 01 supra 22 ssv, but had a few questions. it looks like almost everyone who gets one has nothing bad to say about them, and im getting it mostly to lower engine noise. i bought a new amp for my tower speakers but turns out its a little weaker than my last, and i can barely hear the music while riding. is there a BIG difference with the fae installed while riding, or mostly just in the boat? also, it seems like simply pulling the plug would be difficult with the fae installed..?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-08-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
tons of threads from earlier on this topic, i'm sure someone will dig them up for you..
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-08-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Sure, why not:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/607480.html
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/538956.html
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/581403.html
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/588144.html

I finished the install on my Supra a couple weeks ago, very smooth. I have to remove the platform and FAE when parking the boat in the garage, so I ordered it with the quick release. It only added about 2 minutes to my setup time, loosen 4 hose clamps and remove the quick release. As you'll read in the other threads, Larry is great to deal with.

Kyle - Pulling the plug is a little more difficult with the FAE installed, however, when the wake plate is all the way down, it really isn't that bad. I haven't boarded behind the boat enough since the install to tell if there is a noise level difference, although, I would image there is a pretty big difference. I mostly got it for the benefits while surfing.
Old    lakeside5_10            09-08-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
my moomba xlv is verrrrrrrrry quite after install and no CO smell when surfing or boarding
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
I agree engine noise coming out the back is considerably reduced. While surfing the guy on the sun deck can barely her anything coming from the exhaust and lets not mention the CO reduction.

This thing is worth every penny if you ask me.
Will put it on every boat I own from here on out.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       09-08-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
I asked my dealer about something to quiet the engine noise and they said they couldn't do anything. I had already decided to buy an FAE and I have, I still need to install, never enough time. Anyway why wouldn't a dealer know about these sort of things and offer them as an option or an add-on or something like that. Seems like they could make some $$ installing this.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-08-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
I can carry on a conversation with a surfer, The boat is quieter all the time. There is a BIG difference when at speed and a small difference at idle. The plug is a harder to get at and the platform is harder to take off.
It's the best stereo upgrade you can add. It's the best surfing upgrade other than sacks. It's the best option to improve family enjoyment of the boat.
The only problem is, once you have it, you get annoyed at the guy in the loud boat that you hear will you're underway.
Old     (sotx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-08-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Art said "I can carry on a conversation with a surfer, The boat is quieter all the time. There is a BIG difference when at speed and a small difference at idle. The plug is a harder to get at and the platform is harder to take off.
It's the best stereo upgrade you can add. It's the best surfing upgrade other than sacks. It's the best option to improve family enjoyment of the boat.
The only problem is, once you have it, you get annoyed at the guy in the loud boat that you hear will you're underway."

And I could not agree more
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
We have it on our new Epic and it sure quiets the 8.1 litre down a ton. Not sure about the way it effects the wake at speed yet. It seems to split the prop wash so that it sprays to the top of the wake and makes it look washy. It is not but it does take a little getting used to. We removed the FAE and the prop wash did not do that and then we put it back on and it did so we know it is the FAE. But for surfing it is great.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
I wonder if the Epic with the dual rudders would throw a wrench in the FAE concept.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-09-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
Unfortunately there has been a slight price increase to keep up with cost of materials in the last month. But Larry is good to deal with - this is a very custom project as the exact dimensions are different on almost EVERY model and year of boat!

My 87 Supra SunSport has pipes that are almost DOUBLE the width of many boats. So my FAE is big. My exhausts are also covered by a baffle and indented into the boat!

Larry had to custom make many parts for my build and he came through great. I now have everything on my living room ready to be installed tomorrow! I sized all the parts up and they are perfect. I'll take pics!
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-09-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
We had a FAE put on our RZ4 when we picked it up from the dealer. They came out with us for the test drive and were blown away by the difference it makes. They said they were going to look into ordering some to add as options for those iterested. Don't know if they did but we couldn't be happier.
Old     (idahotige)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-09-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
I put a FAE on my Tige 20V this summer and it greatly reduces the noise both in and behind the boat. All passengers and riders have noted the difference and commented positively. I say go for it, you will not regret it.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
EvilOne not sure but that is what we are thinking as well. Because it does seem to effect the way the rooster tail comes out the back. But as far as noise it makes a huge difference
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-10-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Why would it make a difference? The propellor is in the same place. In fact many Epic boats come from the factory with FAE if I am not mistaken.