Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-20-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Just noticed this while brousing the DBW site...thought it might be of interest to anyone here that was heading to Shasta over the weekend.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08038.html

They really have mussel sniffing dogs?
Old    K.B.C.            05-20-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
they're cracking down everywhere. unfortunately we live near the stateline and have to cross the checkpoint everytime on the way back from our local spot. plug must be pulled and they take a look around the outside of the boat. damn zebra and quaggas!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-20-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Wonder how long until livewells and ballast tanks are banned. Serious.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-20-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
They also have been inspecting every boat that comes in from Reno, Nv Also. I80 west bound at the agriculture check. They have been doing it since late last year but have stepped up the inspection process more this year.
Yea the ballast tank issue scares me also if they try to ban it what then.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-20-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
They have been doing it along I-40 from Havasu back into California for a number of years. The Zebras are in the Colorado River system, and verified in Lake Mead and Lake Havasu. No doubt they are in Lake Mojave then as well.

This could get funny for sure. Realistically, all my ballast could be done with sacks and I only have a belly tank anyway. For sure my bilge retains a bit of water. It's dang hard for them to check over the whole boat, opening everything up and such. I certainly don't wanna be a problem and transport these things, but what to do??

I would hate for ballast to be outlawed to try and prevent the spread and I can't say for sure if it really could spread that way.
Old    K.B.C.            05-20-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
what's up Tim, we met out at Boca last week. thanks again for the jump.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-20-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
If they outlaw ballast, then just use lead for your weight.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-20-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Trailering 1600 lbs of lead isn't really an option for me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-20-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
I hear you that would suck, but so would riding with no weight.
Nice boat!!

(Message edited by innov8 on May 20, 2008)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-20-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
yes, a tricky situation should they become strict about ballast. My trailer is not rated to handle the extra weight and I am all about getting there safely. I am all about riding with a big fat wake too.

I am interested to see what goes on when I cross the AZ/CA line on monday dragging the boat. Could you imagine being quarantined??

Thanks for the compliment.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-20-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
If you are concerned about the mussels in your ballast tank, flush it with bleach/ Chlorine. I think the ratio is 1/10.

Here's the link: http://www.sgnis.org/publicat/managers.htm

Whats up Scott! glad I could help, that water was perfect to bad I didn't get to enjoy it. You know there is away aroung that check point.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-21-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Flux, you going to havasu for memorial? well be out there as well look for us in my white/black san
Old     (bltcollins)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-21-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
FYI...I've crossed the state line on the 10 coming into CA a couple times already. They just hand you a pamphlet about the mussels, do a quick spot check under the boat, and send you on your way. I think they check to make sure you pulled your plug(s) as well. That's about it. Took 20 seconds...but then again the Mussel inspecting dogs were off that day. I wouldn't worry about it.