Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-09-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Anyone in Santa Clara County, CA, read the SJ Mercury News on Thursday about potential boat inspection or lake closure at these lakes due to invasive mussels?

No real definitive answer in the paper but closure is one of the possibilities. Although, boat inspections are probably what will happen. Two of the things that the Santa Clara Valley Water District recommends are wait 5 days for the tanks/wells to be completely dry, and flush and dry all tanks, boat surfaces. How will that work for those with in-board ballasts?
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-09-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
From the Gilroy Dispatch:

"To facilitate recreation, the county proposes a seven day a week inspection program at power boating reservoirs: Anderson Lake, Calero Reservoir and Coyote Lake. Non-power boating reservoirs will be closed with the exception of Stevens Creek Reservoir. Out of state boaters and boats registered in San Benito County and all counties south of the Tehachapi Mountains will be banned, according to the county's proposal."
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
FYI, i was just out at Camanche in Lodi, had to pull the drain plug for inspection and also fill out a form/questions about the boat, who what where why and when. they did that for every boat that hasn't been there for the last 7 days. if you've already had the inspection within 7 days then they let you thru.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
what? im so confused. what the hell are they inspecting? my boat is flipping brand new. its not like there is crustation's growing on the hull. explain in further detail please.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-09-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
I went to Anderson about a month ago and I got the whole rundown, at least about Anderson. During the summer they are going to be doing inspections and testing of the lake, which may cause crowded launch ramps. They say that Anderson doesn't have these mussels yet, and they want to keep it that way. Apparently the mussels are a pain in the buttocks because they float around as plankton, than when they latch onto something they will start to grow. That is why it is important to flush your system, to flush the potential mussels out. If they are not flushed out, than they can grow in your system. That is why they want to do inspections, to make sure that boats that have mussels in them are not going into the water. They won't be growing on the outside of your boat. You also don't have to worry if you haven't been a body of water that has these mussels.

I don't know what this means for ballast tanks?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-09-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I would think many balast systems will be uninspectable (is that a word?) and you would not be able to launch if this is the case.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
I know at camanche if the boat is registered in Santa Clara county they will not let you in because they found a lake in SC county with the mussels. I thinks it's some bs because they cant possible think inspecting our boats will make a difference. From what I've been told, if they find anything wet, including carpet, they will not let you in. Unless you have a closed cooling system, there is going to be plenty of water in it. This is just a knee jerk reaction thats doing more harm then good.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-09-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
I was at Hogan last weekend and was given a speach about them at the shack before I launched.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Here's a link to DFG about the mussels: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/invasives/quaggamussel/docs/quagga_FAQ.pdf
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-11-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
They've been doing this for a while at the california border with all boats returning from the Parker and Havasu areas. I've been check on my last half a dozen trips down there
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-12-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
There's also an additional $7/inspection fee too!!!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
I too inquired about this on my last trip on sunday. The impression I got is that this will be a major headache and they really dont have their stuff together yet. I asked: "well what if I ONLY use my boat on lake anderson, do I have to get an inspection every single time" to which they replied "no, you will have a piece of tape attached between the eye hook and winch to signify that your boat has not been launched" which makes NO sense since once you launch that tape would rip thus negating its sole purpose! And 7 bucks is rediculous. The only good news is the guy at the shack said its only going to go on certain days, not everyday.

I did see a note saying that they may limit lake use to 5 days a week 6 months a year!

http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/parks/parksarticle?path=/v7/Parks%20and%20Recreation,%20Department%20of%20(DEP)&contentId=360f23f4a1f18110VgnVCMP230004adc4a 92____
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-12-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
This is going to be a mess on the weekend. Imagine the already long lines are going to be doubly long.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
My biggest beef with it is how "dry" to they want everything? I understand the outside of the boat and general inside... but are we talking about the bilge area? what about the ski locker? Personally I am going to be angry about an added clean up of wiping down the bilge and ski locker area plus 7 bucks.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Holly smoke, boating is now banned at these reservoirs!!!

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_9245986
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Holy crap!!! I want a refund on my season pass then!!!!

Edit: I just called santa clara county parks and was told that mercury news got it wrong (big surprise). They are banning boats, but only those registered outside the santa clara county from what I understand. How they intend on testing this is beyond me. The lady I spoke with also confirmed the current $7 fee related to boating and the clean and dry deal.

(Message edited by liquidmx on May 13, 2008)
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Wow, that's a relief. Thanks for following up. I would guess that people would have to show their boat's registration paper at the gate to verify against the registration number on the boat and county of residence.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-13-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle beat me to it...

Just got off the phone with the Lady at the Calero booth. Told me the same thing.

Got me scared for a minute. Have a salesman on his way down there with a Bu' to meet a customer for a demo.

It'll be interesting to find out how he fares at the gate considering the boat isn't registered.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Seabass, its not enacted until May 23rd from what I understand. The general consensus I have gotten is that they are flying by the seat of their pants in an area that will cause VERY negative PR if poorly handled. I think we should all stay tightly connected if things get out of control so we can voice a united opinion when(if) needed.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
All boats are banned!!!

I got an e-mail from the Santa Clara Valley Water District Public Relations Mananger (Susan Siravo) confirming that all boats are banned.

ssiravo@valleywater.org
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-13-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
kvoman,

post the email here, so we can see what Susan has to say about the subject.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-13-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
My salesman just got back from Calero.

He actually got turned away even after he explained he had just called. He went into the parking lot and was talking to the customers, then the lady came up and told him to launch. She said that all lakes are close to boats at 8am tomorrow morning (5-14-08)until further notice.

sweet. Looks like the Delta is the closest place to go for a demo now. Right on!
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Here's her latest response:

"The ban is effective immediately, it will hopefully be lifted on 5/23 when the county implements its boating inspections program."

----- Original Message -----
To: Susan Siravo
Sent: Tue May 13 14:49:52 2008
Subject: Re: Boating Ban

Hi Susan -
Is the ban effective tomorrow/immediately until 5/23 or until the Parks Department can put together an inspection plan, whenever that may be?
Thanks.

----- Original Message ----
To: kvoman@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:43:01 PM
Subject: RE: Boating Ban

The ban is for all boats right now.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:00 PM
To: Susan Siravo
Subject: Boating Ban

Hi Susan - I left you a voice mail on this question also.
The Mercury News reported that there is a boating ban on all the reservoirs in the County (http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9245986) but the County Parks & Recreation Department said the ban is only on boats registered south of Santa Clara County.
Could you verify which is accurate?
Thanks.