Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
....okay so who rides more than one board?

and if you do why and what for?

do you prefer a certain board on smooth water...another in rough?

do you sometimes use a different board to go wake to wake?...and other times to go more into the flats?

or do you just love boards and have more than one or even collect them?

I guess with all the different charactaristics of boards these days it makes sense to have different boards for different stuff.

For me I ride the marius more wake to wake....but am getting the lyman so I can go into the flats easier and ride with a little speed...so I will just switch between boards depending on what I want to do.( now I just need a roam or something just for those real mellow days)

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on March 12, 2008)
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-12-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I switch boards every couple of months because for me I seem to ride better on a different board whenever I stop landing tricks consistently. It might just be that it's a new feel or maybe it's just mental, but I have found it's good to switch every so often.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
you can't go out in the flats w/ the marius?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-12-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
I ride 2 different style boards. The O'brien R5 for Jibs and the Player for wakeriding. I do have a player bunch of Players that are set up for different things, jibbing, choppy conditions, etc.

Seems like if you ride 2 different style boards for wake riding you would have a hard time getting the muscle memory down for each board. Muscle memory is HUGE in this sport. I, personally, would stick to one style and ride it all the time.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-12-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Don't fool yourself. Find a board you like and stay on it. If you keep switching boards your only going to hurt your riding.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
I'm going to use my old board for my slider when I get it built, since if I break the Watson on that thing, I'm SOL, since slider damage isn't covered under warranty...

But that's about it for riding more than one board.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
....I can but I find to be more consistent It is better for me to come in crouched and arms closer in. If I really crank it to go out there it is harder to time. A quicker board just means (hopefully) I wont have to crank as hard. But who knows now with my real wake ....I am sure it will be much easier on the marius too.

But then have you seen my age?

I also just love boards ..so any excuse to get another one !
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
my age isn't far behind yours michael.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-12-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
When you ride a Transcend, you only need one board.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-12-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
did Squid really just say that? I dont know him personally, but from all the threads I have read, he goes through boards like they are going out of style.

I use two boards. My 3DS is my main board, and if my riding becomes a little stagnant, I will go to my GB Caddy for a few sets. change my style up a bit.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I was on a Roam for wake/rail/everything unless it was super choppy, then I used a Byerly... got rid of both, pucked up an Ibex, then sold it, got a slingshot...that little goes just about everyhing.

Over the years I've had a ton of boards, I just always feel like there is one I will enjoy a little bit more than the last.... i get antsy

but besides when I used the Roam I only ride 1
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
i gotta SS for rail sets and a LS for hittin the wake
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-12-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Squid you will never ride the same aboard for more than a month, 2 max.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-12-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
I have a Roam that I use for the quick jetski trips to the lake, and had a 3DS for all W2W riding. I picked up my first CWB, an '07 Transcend, last month, so I'll see if what J-Rod says is true. :-)
Old    alanp            03-12-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
ive ridden the same board shape for about 3 years now(premier/era/apex). and if i ever find out the shape is gonna be discontinued im going to stock up
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
I feel yah alan, I have a spare Du lidberg sitting in my room for that very reason
Old    walt            03-12-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   

quote:

did Squid really just say that?

That's what I was thinking too.
Old     (jd5150)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
J-ROD yeah! Transcend 138!!! fast, carries speed when you land, great pop
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-12-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
I've got 2 boards, 06 LF Stance 138 and an 07 Watson 134. I usually switch between them depending on how I feel on the day and what the other guys on the boat have been riding the set before since they don't have their own boards. It's nice to ride the old board sometimes. The Stance is a pretty cruisy board, the Watson is a bit faster and gets a bit more pop, it's a pig in the rough stuff though.

(Message edited by jtnz on March 12, 2008)
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
integrity skate, roam jib board, Marius wakeboard
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
i own about 4 boars and all of them sevre different purposes...

fish - normal riding with big wakes
balance - rails and normal riding on small wakes (the beast)
roam - freestylin and chillen, also the small boat board
the tank (prodigy) - retired beater small wake board with stretched out bindings used for the big baggy dry-suit.

and yet im still in need of a new normal riding board since i want to ride something a little larger and something that has a little more pop than the fish, something liek a shane or a one.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-12-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
J-rod is right on, Transcend and nothing else. I foolishly fought it, but had to admit that board does everything right and lives up to it's inflated reputation. Anybody want to by an Absolute 141, I am not a 2 board kind of rider.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
well i ride the ronix one most of the time but not on sliders but when i feel like sliding it up i strap on the parks
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-12-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
I have 2, my main one is a B-side and looking to get a roam for some fun and edge practice.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   

quote:

By Machew (mbrown) on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:44 pm:

J-rod is right on, Transcend and nothing else.

nothing else? really? my marius had soft landings. my shane lands pretty soft, too.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
I still like to bust out my Liquid Force Balance for rough water.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
One board unless a friend has a new board on the boat the I may try it out.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-13-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
I pretty much stick with one board for at least a year and often longer. I like whatever I'm used to (muscle memory) and lately the only reason I would consider switching is to get a softer landing board to help protect the old dude knees.

I'm on a PS3 now, but am tempted to try a slingshot for that reason. I just wish last years models didn't require a binding upgrade too.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
...a binding upgrade isn't a bad thing....I like to get a new binding every couple of seasons. I find that for me after that time they just arn't 100%. ...and being over 40 I like to stack the odds in my favour by having gear that always performs at its peak. Likewise with the board I am always looking for a board that can do what my old board can but better.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yep I really said that. I stayed on the 3ds all season long. Started this one out on a tribute. Which is a tweaked out verson of the 3ds. My whoring days are over. I learned my lesson when my riding stop progressing due to changing boards so much.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-13-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
i'm sure my rippin' on you everytime you tried a new board had nothing to do with it.

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nope haha. I was snow boarding last season. My friend forced me to try his board. When I did I was lost on it. Couldn't edge well at all. Then the lights came on and knew I was screwing myself up by changing boards all the time.

Yep I hate when that Umali is right.

(Message edited by twakess on March 13, 2008)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-13-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Oh... Two boards for sure...

138 Transcend for the rails and a 138 Transcend Platinum for the wake.

Ha, ha, ha... When you ride a Trascend you don't need to ride anything else.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-13-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Squid you will never stay on the same board for more then one month
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-14-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
Marius I like him very much but he no hit curve ball!
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
I am currently riding a 137 Tribute, but still deciding between my 138 Watson and the Tribute. Both have a similar feel, the Tribute seems a bit softer on the landing, although I am probably not riding as hard with the restrictions of the drysuit to get/give a good comparison. I am a one board guy so my "dilemma" is only temporary.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
switching boards screws me up. i really get into a board when i ride it and i like to learn all of the subtlies of my board. so switching to a different board seems so foreign to me for the first set or two.

im a one board rider.

if a board doesnt cover all your bases its not the board for you.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-15-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
WBM says # boards; 1] Brand new board for this season specifically for what you want to accomplish. 2] old beater board for rails. 3] Wakeskate.