Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-12-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
So, how is El Capitan anyway? I guess that's the only local fresh-water riding spot left after this year, right? Will there be a bunch of used boats for sale at the end of the summer?

http://www.sdcwa.org/infra/esp-sanvicentedamraise.phtml#waterskisub

Q: "What city of San Diego reservoir will be the main water-ski substitute for recreation while San Vicente is closed?"

A: "The city of San Diego has identified El Capitan Reservoir as a substitute. The city has determined that Lake Hodges is not a good option because it is too small for water skiing and because noise pollution is a problem for the nearby neighbors. No other city of San Diego reservoirs are being considered at this time. The Water Authority does not own or operate any viable reservoirs to offer as a recreational alternative."
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
I was not real excited about El Cap when San V was closed a while back. Only good water is on the north arm, and it is only open to boarding occasionally. The lake is only open to water contact Fri and Sun, at least a couple months ago. Not sure if they added any more days for the summer. One of the dock workers told me that would be the schedule all summer, but every time I ask one of the workers something, I get a different answer.

The other problem with El Cap being the ONLY lake after San V closes is that they have a 35 boat limit, where San V has a 100 boat limit. Once San V closes, that's a crap-load of boats that all want one of those 35 spots.

Really a sad situation for a county of just over 3 million people. I was interviewed by the county water authority recently, and they pretty much said there are really no other lakes that are being considered. Maybe time to finally move out of So Cal and go north where they have lakes, Delta, etc.
Old     (wake_swede)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
el crap or someitmes i like to refer to it as el crapitan
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-12-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
Tim great to see you here again.

You don't put your boat on the Lagoon anymore?
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
Buzz, it's time to create "The San Diego Wakeboard Association".
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-12-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
Hey Randy,

Yup, we ride in the lagoon still, but lately, I've also been riding a bit with a friend who bought a new 23 foot wakesetter. He likes San V, so I've been there a few times this summer. I'm getting used to the rough water, and kinda liking being a 3rd for a change.

The truth is though, I'm in the market for a new boat. It's time to upgrade, so I'm more curious to know if there will be any deals out there as a result of San V closing. I'll be taking my time, and seeing where the deals are... possibly spending a few months boatless after I sell the Malibu.

Do you know anyone who might be interested in a deal on a '97 Sunsetter I should have it cleaned up and ready to sell by August.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-13-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
Christian Cowan, What's up?
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
Tim

Glade you started this thread. I grew up in San Diego and for most of my time growing up the city never shared the lakes for boating. We would make the trip to Martinez or Havasu. Damm, that sucked. Then El Cap opened for Jet Skiing, Then San V. for boating.
Now you all (Wakeboarder and Skiers) will have nothing again.
I do applaud your idea on a Wakeboard Association in San Diego but this will do nothing. Why? Because most wakeboarder/waterskiers dont vote. And the Politician know that. (actually this a quote from one of your city leaders who is retired).

If you were to do something grass roots, you need the fisherman. The Bass Clubs, every fishing club in San Diego. Make an agreement with the clubs on what lakes you will share and what times. Then present it to the City Counsol. Who will tell you to go to the Director of Park and Rec. Now the director hates Fisherman and Wakeboarders/waterskiers. My Opioin, based on information researching this topic.
You need the Fisherman, because they have way more political clout then the Wakeboarders/Waterskiers.

The key is letting the City leaders know that you are united as a group.

Remember that the city give it and the city takes away.

I wished I still live down there to help. But we have our own problems on the Delta.

I hope all of you work together, otherwise San Diego will be lake less for Boating.

Whats the alternative. Making the trip to Martinez or Havaus, or LA region lakes. Which means more gas money then boating time.

(Message edited by wkbdtime on July 15, 2007)