Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
so i have a dual amp install in my boat which i just finished. i also just finished making a custom sub box for under my dash. Anywho, im getting power to both my amps and before i made my enclosure i was getting signal since i tested out the speakers and they were functional. Now it seems as though im getting power, since both my power LED's on my amps are on and im not getting signal. I tested the speaker as well as another one and no signal. Then i tested it on the other amp and i am getting signal. the odd thing is that before i finished my enclosure i was getting signal and now im not. I replaced my fuse with another cuz i blew it on the amp which im not getting signal to, but i didnt replace it with an identical one. Could that be the problem? I'm all out of ideas. Im quite avid when it comes to audio install and i troubleshooted (or shot, whatever) for hours and im all out of ideas. Please help if you have any tricks of your own! Thanks guys in advance, im hoping to fix this stuff tomorrow so i can go boarding this weekend! Thanks again1
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-26-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Oh man, nobody? Alright, well im bout to go try n figure it out, let me know if ayone can help me. that be sweet. thanks!
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
I havn't installed any boat audio systems but I have installed a ton of car ones and when I'm having a problem the very very first thing I check is my ground wire. I've unhooked and taken apart entire set-ups all for a simple ground wire. So go and check the ground and make sure its getting a good enough ground and even move it to a different location, I usually switch the wire from place to place to see where has the strongest ground. Like I said I don't know much about boat audio but I assume its the same as car...so give that a shot.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I would say to check your remote wire coming from the deck to the amp.
Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
First you need to isolate the problem to ahead of or behind the amp. If you have an ipod or walkman or basically anything with a headphone jack, go pickup a stereo 1/8" to RCA cord (radioshack, walmart, whatever) and plug your walkman/ipod into the RCA's on the amp, (do this with the power off to avoid a nasty thump) power up everything and see if you hear music. (You'll have to turn the ipod volume up pretty high) If you hear music, the problem is somehwere between the headunit and the amp, if you don't hear music, you need to start troubleshooting your amp or speaker connections. Check to make sure nothing is shorted, your grounds are good and the speaker connections are tight and not shorted.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-26-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
thanks guys. Turns out i did have a blown amp, which in turn was ok since i bought a bigge better one, alpine this time instead of boss! James, great idea, never thought of that but to troubleshoot that is an awesome way of doing so and a technique which i havent yet heard of until now. Thanks!