Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-31-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 5.7L Mercury Black Scorpion with around 15 hours on it, I noticed a few weeks ago that my oil pressure gauge was running at about 50-60psi at idle(600)-2000 rpm and around 90-100psi at 3K-WOT.
I read my owners manual this evening and it said normal oil pressure is 15-60psi, so I guess I have been running it with high oil pressure? I checked the oil level and it looks ok, maybe just a little low, anyone got any ideas? Have I done damage to the engine? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-31-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
I would hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage where the sender comes off the engine to get a 100% accurate reading. My guess is a bad sender or guage. I believe they work on ground, so if the wire is picking up ground somewhere it will read high so check for that as well.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-01-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
Sparky's got the right idea. Verify if it's correct. You have not damaged anything with the high pressure but it robs Hp and puts stress on the pump drive shaft so that could fail at some point.
The only way to get high pressure like that is to have recently done an oil change and put in something to viscous, or to have a sending unit failure.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I'm sure how long you had been running your boat when you took the readings, but even if the engine is up to normal operating temp the oil may not be. Until the oil reaches normal operating temp it can read high. Just a thought.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-01-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Thanks fellas, Sparky's probably right it's a gauge or sending unit. I will look into it more next weekend, guess I was just trippin out.
Greg, the motor was warmed up and running at 175 degrees and Art, the oil is the original oil put in at the factory, I hadn't put any oil in the motor yet.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-01-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Every engine is a by-pass filtration system. What that means is there is an overpressure valve that blows off. This is something that happens all the time. When they stick oil filters go pop! A high quality oil filter also has a by-pass valve built in.

Yes, Sparky is right, you need to verify it with a secondary gauge.
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       04-02-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
I changed my oil this weekend. I have a 2003 X2 with the Preditor engine. I put in 5 1/2 quarts of oil. Started up the engine with the fake-a-lake connected and let it warm up. Turned it off and checked the oil and it was about a half inch beyond the operating area. I guess I over filled it. Will this damage anything?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-02-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
No.
You can such a bit out with a suction gun, or just take the filter off with a good filter wrench, drain it, and put it back on.

If there is too much oil it might froth and aerate more because the crank is hitting it. That cuts power and heats the oil more. The biggest risk would be getting some aerated oil through to your bearings and not getting good enough lube.
It's worth taking some out but nothing is damaged.
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       04-02-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
Thanks Art.