Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 11:23 PM Reply   
Lets start out by saying that i am relatively new to the sport, well, getting back into it after a 4 year lay off.

I am obviously looking for new gear and i am well aware that all things are relative with board choice, etc... I am also aware that it is more than necessary for me to demo multiple set ups in order to reach a consenses on what board is best for me.

BUT, i need to know which boards to even demo, i am a total newb.

I snowboard religiously, typically get 40+ days a season. That being said i would like a board that would cater to this, that is, a board that rides fairly "loose" i suppose. (already ordered a ronix covenant for those glassy days but need a day-to-day stick as well)

I have heard good things about shane's LF model, as well as the 3 upper end ronix decks (one, covin, frontier). I have been told that a continious rocker would be more beneficial to my snowboarding influenced roots... yet, i really have no idea.

So, i would appreciate any guidance that you guys could provide for me on which boards to consider to demo (sizes as well).

vitals:
height: 6'1''
weight: 185
shoe: 11
boat: x-30
style: snowboard influenced
skill level: meh. landed a few 3s, that is about it. want something that will not hold me back as a begin to progress.

thanks guys.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Try to demo a CWB Transcend, probably a 142 considering your size. That board will not hold you back.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-21-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yep. Another vote for the Transcend. Smooth board. Best I have I ridden. It have to be an 07 though.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-21-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
143 Hyperlite 3DS. This board is great for all levels. Try to get some smaller fins than the stock ones. To me I would stay away from aggressive 3-stage boards like the One for now. Not that you can't ride it but you might be better off in the beginning with something more forgiving.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
thanks for the advice. havent heard much about the transcend, will def check it out.

now, is the covin similar to the 3DS, isnt the 3DS chad's old board? the local shop kid said i should def check out the covin, would you guys agree?

grazi.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-21-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Demo an 07 CWB Transcend for sure.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-21-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
ummm...OBRIEN NATURAL
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Yea the 3DS is chads old board.

I also snowboard am going to look at the Liquid Force Shane. Fast, big pop, loose feel, wider than most wakeboards. Those are the reasons I'm going to check it out.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-21-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
As Colin said, yes. I would think the Covin would ride similar to the 3DS and I know the 3DS is a wonderful board.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-21-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
a board to be on the lookout for is the Hyperlite Imperial. This board offers the speed and edge hold of a 3ds, but has an incredible amount of pop.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
so i just got off the phone with the ronix guys.

they hold true to the statement that the One board is more versatile, that is, much more forgiving with the rounded middle while still more than capable of setting an edge when weight is transitioned from the middle to the tail. Basically saying that they would put the One under anyone, from Danny's talent down to a newbie, while the covin requires a bit more skill.

that being said, the covin requires much more edge to edge pressure and is far from as forgiving on landings, compared to the One (according to the guys up at square one)

interesting.

def gonna demo the One, Covin, Shane, and Transcend and see which one fits my needs / riding style.

also, they just shipped 300 covenants this week.

i guess i will wait and see, taking the new x30 out for the first time in 2 weeks. STOKED! i will for sure report back after demoing the boards.

thanks for the help kids.
Old    alanp            02-21-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
i ride an era, the board tracks well when you dump it into the wake but you dont feel glued to the water when youre not on edge. the pop is subtle enough to be rideable but wont hold you back for going a little bigger, plus its real predictable. that being said only you will be able to determine what ride fits your style best. if it were me, i'd ride something pretty neutral until i developed more of a taste for what i liked, then id get that board. i changed a lot during my years and you will too, finding a blade you'll like for a long time right off the bat is pretty unlikely good luck
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-21-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
after you demo the One & the Covin please post your opinion!
take a look at the "our take" at this link.
http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/ronix_coven_wakeboards_07

(Message edited by redracer2003 on February 21, 2007)

(Message edited by redracer2003 on February 21, 2007)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-21-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
MAKE SURE YOU TRY A FEW DIFFERENT BINDINGS TOO!!!!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-22-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Sean
I see that you are in Orange County---a bit of a drive, I'm in Bakersfield and have quite a few CWB boards you could demo(Absolute, Transcend, Marius and the new Faction). Hook up with me and come out for a day of riding and fun---you won't regret it, may even land something new.
Same offer for anyone else!!!!

Good luc

Chuck
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-22-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Don't forget about me Chuck!!!! I'll be the one doing the driving, and riding.