Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-23-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Ok I know I have a Mastercraft but I am thinking about the next boat being a Malibu. My friend has an 05 VLX (07 Vride). I love it, great boat. I understand the differences between the boats and the options (I can read a website). However, I would like to know if you load both down with factory ballast and wedge how do the wakes compare. Thanks in advance.

Preston
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure a 05 VLX is the same as a 07 VLX. I believe you have to go back to 04 VLX for it to be a V-Ride.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-23-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Thats it. It is an 04 that my friend has. Thanks for clearing that up
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
With full factory ballast and Wedge they both ride pretty well. The VLX will have the bow tank which helps immensely. If you get a V-Ride you will want a sac or lead in the nose right off the bat. From there they can stack weight like crazy and the wake just gets bigger & bigger.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-23-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
i gues i mean wha is the difference in shape of the two wakes. Which one is more rampy, wider, etc

thanks
Phall
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
The new vlx wake is great stock. It is rampier and wider, and is huge. The v-ride does not compare stock. However, if you weight the v-ride it will throw a great wake as well. They are both great boats, the new vlx is a little bigger and a little nicer, you just have to decide if it is worth the extra money.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-23-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Wow what a great thread I can't wait until Billy(woreout) see's this.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-23-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Please Stand By...
gathering intel.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-23-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
The V-Ride is a entry level boat on a proven hull design that puts out a good wake, the VLX is on the new Wake hull that creates a much better wake but, no matter which you decide on make sure and get the hydraulic wedge, with it you can shape the wake just the way you like it.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-23-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
I am not sure I would say "entry level boat". In its day it was the boat Malibu sponsered riders road behind... so if that is entry level...

I think the ballast issue is the biggest difference. Having weight in the nose actually helps deifne the shape of wake... so you shouldn't discard that point. Having a belly ballast tank already in place makes your job of getting weight in the nose that much easier.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
Today it is an entry level Malibu, but that doesn't mean it is no good. It is still a 04 VLX with a few bells and whistles removed. Chrome has been replaced with black rubber siding, but none the less I would buy one if I couldn't spend as much as I did.
That hull is great when you put weight in it, but it still isn't the same of the 05+ VLX wake. The newer hull gives off a bigger and more of a ramp to the wake. Either way both good chocies. Make sure you at least get the center ballast option. You can always add sacks to the rear locker of your chosing, but if you can get the rear ballast as well. For the VLX get all the ballast front/center/rear.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-24-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
I've ridden in both, and from a pure wake perspective, the old hull has more vert, less distance wake to wake, and is every bit as hard as the new hull's wake.

The new hull produces a nicer wake stock, but to get it to grow, you need quite a bit of weight. Also I don't like the fact that it needs so much weight in the nose to shape the wake. When you do this the nose has a tendancy to take water over the bow.

I like both boats, and both put out a nice wake, I just think the older hull has the upper hand in wake producing ability.