Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
first of all i'm new on here so Hi! secondly i am stuck between the decision of buying a carryover '06 malibu VLX or a MC '07 X1. any thoughts on quality differences? and what are you experiences with these boats?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-19-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
I almost bought an X-1 I think they are great boats just very small especially when compared to VLX. Drive both imo you can't go wrong with either.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-19-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
If they are equivalently priced, the BU will be more bang for the buck, IMO. If not, then it will boil down to how each performs during your demo. The X-1 is a utilitarian wakeboat, with a superb wake and not much storage. The BU also has a great wake and will have more storage.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            01-19-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
I would rather have the 07 X1, But then again I prefer Mastercraft over Malibu.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-19-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
X1. Plus, it's an 07 and not as date for re-sell purposes. Yes, I am biased as well...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-19-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
Those are both awesome boats. It is a tough decision. I think a lot will depend on price, since both have really nice wakes and will be great for wakeboarding. Also, how many people do you normally bring wakeboarding. Under 7-8, I would say the x-1. Over that I would say the malibu.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
thanks guys... my buddy ski's down at cypress gardens, and sea world in florida and drives the new malibus every day. he says that they are junk (has problems with them). has anyone experienced (or know someone) who has any issues with them? i have 3 vlx's to choose from. all 3 are identical in features (except one has a black powder coat tower & the other two are the polished crome). one has 0 hrs, one 6 hrs, and one has 75. they are asking $47k for them. where as a loaded X1 is going to be about $54k.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
i'm not sure how many people will be going with me...had to hang up the board for the last 5 years (played ball in college and didn't want to risk getting hurt)...i'm thinking during the week it'll be probably like 3 or 4 of us. but on the weekends it'll probably be like 8, 9, or 10.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-19-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I have ridden the VLX and it is an awesome boat. I have only ridden one about 6-7 times, but they seem just as well made as any other company. I own a malibu, and besides the engine corroding from brackish water and the rear main seal leaking (second issue was under warranty), we havent had many problems. The engine problems dont have anything to do with malibu. We have put 960 hours on our malibu all wakeboarding. I think your friend is saying that malibu's are crap because they are new and havent been broken in yet. A lot of new engines have problems. Also, Sea world beats the hell out of boats. Has he used any other brands to compare to at Sea World? 10 people in an X-1 will get a little crowded, but you can manage it. We fit 10 people in our ski boat. 10 people in the VLX will be a lot more comfortable though.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-19-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
I would take the VLX over the X1 every day of the week. That being said, I'd never turn down a ride behind either boat.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-19-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
both are aewsome boats. In fact I was just sitting in a 07 X-1 2 weeks ago. The Boat is Sharp!! But it is also very small.
The VLX is also a great boat and I would get one of those over the X-1. I love the look and handling of the VLX. It puts out an awesome wake ( as does the x-1) . Storage would be a big issue for me personally, so I would get the VLX.
Also do not forget about the service department. Make sure both dealers have a good rep. when it comes to warranty and service issues.
You can not go worng with either boat , but I think you will get more boat with the VLX and you will have $8k left over for gassing the thing up.
Good luck
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
i'm not sure about anyother boats at Sea World (i'm guessing they only use malibu). his buddy has an X1, he used to live with Parks about 5 years ago (they had an XStar) and his pops owns a ProStar190, i know he has had a lot of experience with BU's at Tommy Bartlett's in the Dells i would rather go with the vlx (because of the room and price), plus they all have 340 monsoons as well as bow ballast. i'm just worried about any issues with them. you are probably right about the breaking in issue.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-19-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Between the 2 Id go with the X1 for the wake. VLX for the extra space and size. Like Tim said Id NEVER turn down ar ride behind either. I disagree with JAY none of the two are junk.}

I promo for Supra and suggest you take a look at the 21V for BOTH size and wake.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
i was at the boat show yesterday and talked to the guys from supra. though i'll mostly be wakeboarding, i like to barefoot as well and he (the supra dealer) said then i probably wouldn't be happy with a supra due to the deep v hull. once again thanks for all of your guys input!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-19-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
This is my 2nd Malibu VLX for me and I never had any problems with mine. MC x-1 is also a sweet ride. For the price of a new 06 VLX with no hours, I would go with Malibu. I am also Bias.

Watch out for weak floors in Malibu boats, I fell through mine twice and once more on Sunday.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-19-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
That is way too high for the x-1. I had one last year, and paid a whole lot less. The x-1 is a solid boat though. I don't think the two boats really compare. The vlx is much larger, and is a lot more plush than the x-1. When you think about it the x-1 is an entry level boat, and the vlx is the flagship of Malibu, so I don't think it is comparing apples to apples.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-19-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
you can fit like 5 other peeps in the VLX and the wake will be bigger by then.

Weighted both wakes are supreme. VLX is not as narrow of a wake as an X1, and not as much plastic inside the boat. More bling for the buck with the bu as well.

Demo both wakes weighted if you're allowed, and bring friends.

based on your price you have to do with the VLX its not that hard of a decision. actually its an easy one. Post pics when you get it

(Message edited by slipknot on January 19, 2007)
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
X1 is comparable to a V-Ride.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Get the chrome Titan tower, the powder coat one scratches very easily and overall I am not impressed with its ability to avoid scratches. I have dealt with tons of powder coated products and am very displeased with this tower powder coating. In fact next year I plan to take the tower off and have it chromed.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
Hmmmm Both great boat but I love the wake not to mention the VLX has an incredible surf wake...have not surfed behind an X-1 yet. I personaly would go with the VLX not saying it is a better boat just my preference
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
I'M all for the VLX, far superior boat IMHO...
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-20-2007, 12:36 AM Reply   
thanks for the input guys...i'm going back to the boat show tomorrow and am going to see i can't finnagle (sp?) both down a bit more...maybe i'll try and get them to put one of the crome towers on the bu with 0 hours.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-20-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
Apples to Oranges kinda. I looked at both and bought the MC but price, size (VLX was kinda large for me) and regular crew size took me towards the 04 X2 (now X1) I bought. Actually for me the VRide, X2 and SAN210 were my finalists.

I would get the VLX for the prices you have been quoted if the MC folks really are asking $54K for a loaded X1. Run away from that deal and go towards the BU.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-20-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:10 pm:

quote:

Between the 2 Id go with the X1 for the wake. VLX for the extra space and size. Like Tim said Id NEVER turn down ar ride behind either. I disagree with JAY none of the two are junk.

}

I would say the most correct post on here IMO.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
I have an o6 vlx and havn't had a single problem with 75 hours on it. I love the wake as well. You don't need to add extra ballast to it which was a good selling point to me. I still add a little more though, but def not needed.
Old     (shoulin)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-20-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
FLip a coin either boat is going to be fun and have its ups and downs. YOu cant go wrong!!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-20-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
well after going to the boat show for the second time and actually seeing a side by side cross section comparision of how the malibu is constructed compared the MC, i don't think i will be buying a malibu. it was a definate eye opener of seeing how thick the bu hull is compared to the mc. also, how the engine is mounted...malibu is mounted straight into the fiberglass where as mc is mounted to metal plates. the construction of the floor on the malibu was pretty weak too, as well as how the seats were molded. and i don't think i could deal with how small the X1 is. so the search continues...atleast it's narrowed down a little. i did run into a lead on a good deal for an '04 xstar...hopefully that works out, can't wait to go check it out.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            01-20-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Hey Jay, Heres a great deal on an 04 Mastercraft:X30 23"

2004 Mastercraft X-30 2004 MASTERCRAFT X-30, 23' with 175 hours. Original Owner, purchased from and maintained by Texas MasterCraft (Fort Worth, Texas). Transferable warranty good through 2010. Equipment and accessories include: 4 tower speakers with amp, Clarion AM/FM CD stereo system, transom stereo remote, bow filler cushion, fire extinguisher, bimini top, tower cover, fiberglass platform, depthfinder, perfect pass cruise control, MCX 5.7L 350 hp engine, Zero Flex tower, Triple internal ballast system and matching MasterCraft tandem trailer equipped with MasterCraft wheels and spare. PRICED REDUCED!! $49,000

Its for sale on this site, here is the link if you want to look at the picture:
http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=46
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-20-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
Jeff- 75 hours on a boat is equivalent to about 3000 miles on a car. I hope you wouldnt have any problems with it.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-20-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
The price is way off for the X-1 so shop around.

Other than that, these are both good boats and if the price is right, you can't go wrong either way. I've owned 3 X-Star's (basically the X-1 now) and I currently own the VLX. I switch between my buddies X star, a CC210, and my VLX, all summer.

The major differences that stand out in the wakes are that the X-1 is not as thick or long (thickness of the actual wave, and the ramp length, going up to the peak) as the VLX but it is super easy to get used to and ride. The X-1 wake-to-wake is more narrow. I tend to ride a longer rope behind the X-1 over the VLX. Either way, you can adjust and will not have any issues.

The wedge on the VLX is nice to have. It's a quick change for different riding levels and it's like having an extra (approximately) 1000 lbs in the boat.

Other major differences are in the quality / layout of the interior. I've always disliked the one-piece design of the X-1 back seat, and the lack of a cooler, but in the same breath, the VLX interior marks up easily. It's a give and take and your call to make.

Another thought that comes to mind is the convenience of placing extra weight in the boat. You will need to add weight to both to be happy. The VLX is larger inside and will allow you to hide the weight so it doesn't take up interior space. The X-1 is a little tighter inside but not so much you’ll notice or care.

MasterCraft's boat buddy when used correctly is a great tool to have on the trailer and they make a super solid trailer.

After considering what you will be using it for (wake, surf, skate, etc.), how many people you usually take, and the convenient options in the boat, it really comes down to riding behind each one (loaded the way you would ride it) and whomever gives you the better deal on the model you select.

Good luck
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-20-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
Jay your on crack
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Jay, I don’t really understand you post. It sounds like you have access to some of the top people in water sports but you still made a post on line to ask your question. You ended up, or nearly started off, slamming one brand you claim to be considering. In all I a little skeptical about your post.

I’ve ridden behind a VLX, but never behind a MC. The VLX wake seems really good but I’d want to ride it more to firm up an opinion. Like everyone else, I’d agree that the VLX is nice and roomy, though I could do with less carpet.

I’ve ridden behind Chris’s 21V a couple of times. Of the few boats that I’ve ridden behind I’d say I like the 21V wakeboarding wake best.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-20-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
My buddy has a 2002 X-star I believe the same as the X-1. Way to small but well thought out use of the space. I prefer the comfort of more carpet, it is a little more work to clean but so worth it to me. The wake on his MC is solid as it gets but is very small with just stock ballast. He uses it in salt water and it's held up well. In my opinion the VLX is a better boat in every way period. Not bashing MC I might own one someday just stating my experience with the particular boats mentioned.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-20-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
I agree with Edward I think this post was a setup to bash Malibu. Trying to ride dirty....
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
edward & daman, i was considering both brands...buying my first boat so i'm asking as many questions as possible. and i did not want to make my decision soley based on my buddy's experiences (however, i do value his input quite a bit on this subject). that being said, i guess i should be fair to malibu and say that i do love the size, comfort, and price of the bu's. also, a malibu rep was at the show and made a good point as to why my friend has probably had some bad experiences with them. i guess that they give the ski teams some of the first boats off of the line and they are kinda of the guinee pigs... but, i also had another friend with me who is a mechanical engineer and when we went and talked to the technical/mechanical guys from mastercraft he explained how both companies boats were constructed...and the above posted differences were shown. i guess the guys from mc go out and purchase a boat from each of there major competetors and literally cut the boat in half and take apart everthing to see how it is constructed. and after seeing the differences i decided that i would rather get an mc. no one in this thread has posted anything about owning malibu for 5-10 years and that it is still in great shape. also edward, the mc guy pointed out the reason why the bu is carpeted from head to toe. the seat / floor molding on the bu is is not all molded in one piece not as strong i guess (i'm not the expert, this is based on my engineering friend). also i should mention that the engines of the bu are totally fine (same company that mc uses)...the issues are just in the construction of the boat.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-21-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
You tell the KID he is on CRACK and then you post this

"Get the chrome Titan tower, the powder coat one scratches very easily and overall I am not impressed with its ability to avoid scratches. I have dealt with tons of powder coated products and am very displeased with this tower powder coating. In fact next year I plan to take the tower off and have it chromed"

sounds like you are having problems with your own boat. Jay seems to have done some pretty serious investigation on his boat of choice.

He speaks the truth about the BUs at the Gardens. last weekend alone a platfrom FELL off again during a show and the KEY way stripped out causing a boat to be towed in again.

By the way...good luck getting your tower covered under warr from BU...they will send you direct to TITAN and tell you ITS NOT THERE PROBLEM

Jay knows his stuff.

It take a CRACKHEAD to KNOW ONE
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-21-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
TK as you said Titan is not Malibu so what is your point. Next your going to tell me that the three piece MC tower is the greatest tower in the world. I have had minimal problems with my boat, and personally know an individual with a X1. He has only put 30hours on it and it has been at the dealer five times. I have 80hours and mine has been at the shop a total of two times. Every boat has its problems no matter who the manufacture is.

I have been a heavy equipment technician for the past eight years and have seen some very interesting things. I have seen machines that came out of the factory right next to each other built on the same day with one number difference in the serial number have two totally different outcomes. One machine had three warranty claims in one year and the other had 15 warranty claims in a year. From what I have seen with boats and people I know, it seems no different.

All we are saying is that it seemed that Jay was getting information mainly from MC guys who were bashing rather than informing. Which led me to believe that this thread was a hater thread not a thread to inform. So I was trying to help Jay out by giving him some useful information from what I have experienced not ammo.

"It take a CRACKHEAD to KNOW ONE"

With that kind of language I guess you are right.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
IMO ANY boat you get that you like the wake..you will be happy period.

Not trying to throw fuel on the fire but why does almost every Malibu owner get their panties in a bunch when the construction of the two are mentioned???

IT IS ALL FACTS so don't get mad or try to cover ish up.This is a informative website and when facts are mentioned,nobody should get mad!!

That being said,they are both constructed well and you most likely won't know the difference as the original owner.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-21-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
You won't know the difference as the original owner, the second, third, or fourth owner. I have owned a malibu that was five years old and had zero problems. Both are good boats, it just comes down to personal preference.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-21-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Jay- I pm'ed you yesterday. If you want a bigger boat I have a 2007 X2 for sale with only 8 (eight) hours on it that I could sell you for the price they are asking for the X1. It has twr spkrs ppass heater mcx and much more if you would be interested in an X2
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-21-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Wow, this post seems to be a bit testy and I certainly don't want to jinx the Bu but it's been the best boat I've owned, period.

Keeping focused on the facts instead of getting heated, it's going on 3 years now with no engine or mechanical issues at all with the Bu. (The wedge died a few times though.)This is the longest I've owned a boat and I'm having a hard time wanting to upgrade because I have it so dialed in.

I can't say the same for MC. I never owned one for more than a year or two, and I've had WAY TOO MANY problems with them. And I mean major items that take weeks to fix, right in the middle of my summer. If it had happened once, or even twice, I would shrug it off, but EVERY boat had some sort of major issue. Hmmm....

I've had 5 MC's, 3 Nautiques, and this Bu. Without bashing MC because I ride behind one a couple times a week, and it doesn't have any issues, I will say that I used to be an MC guy, and will most likely never consider owning another one. In all honesty, if I was given one, I wouldn't keep it. I'm that bitter after owning 5 that all had unnecessary problems.

I should also chime in that the Super Air's I've had, had no issues, and two of them were run in salt water. However my old neighbor, Aaron Aubrey had his engine go out. But that was probably our fault from not flushing as good as we should have, and it had a bunch of hours on it.

I have also been fortunate enough to have ridden behind several other Supra's, Tige's, Centurions, Sangers, and Bayliners. (Believe it or not the Bayliner had a solid wake. You can stop laughing now.)They all have their place and price point in our industry.

Take it easy on each other guys, we are all on this site because it's of some use to us; and I'm guessing you wouldn't turn down a ride behind someone else's boat. I certainly wouldn't.

This is not a static issue, and I would like to see this balance change in the years to come. Only 6 or 7 years ago, Malibu was hardly on the radar, now they are one of the leaders. It can happen again with a Supra, Epic, or someone else.

Tell you what though, whomever comes out with a boat that is electric or doesn't run on $3/gallon gas will have my vote right away.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-23-2007, 3:08 AM Reply   
Well put Steve. All the boats mentioned above are good boats. This bashing gets really old, but this is a discussion board, so we deal with it.

Test drive. Pick a good dealer. Have fun with your choice. They are both great boats.

OK- 520 hours on my 05 VLX. Very, very minor stuff, if anything. Floor is still rock-solid too!
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-23-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
I would go BU.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-23-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
You really gotta love how the standard MC salesman shpeil that Jay heard at the boat show addresses issue that nobody I know with a 'bu has ever had a problem with.

Either way both companies have competant engineers, and all decisions are made for a good reason.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-23-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
Just because the hull is thicker does not always make it stronger(dynamic load vs static load.) How are mastercraft's metal plates mounted...do they just float and not touch the hull? I know more bu owners are more satisfied with their purchase than mastercraft owners(at least JD power indicates so.) I have a really good friend that owns an awesome MC and has had some issues that were minor, but because the dealer is a "shlep" they became major(looong repair times.) I will be shocked if he ever buys a bu just because he honestly enjoys the status of owning a MC and the poor dealer service. I am telling you buy the boat with better dealer service if there is an issue with your boat the quicker it is in and out of the dealer the happier you will be.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-23-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I don't get the floor thing? Are people actually saying they break thru the floor now? I find that hard to believe...I'd like some photo evidence.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-23-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
It was a thread in the near past. "Malibu Floors".
I don't think there was any evidence. It of coarse turned into my boat is better than yours.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
VLX cuz the wake is better and the power wedge can make the wake super steep if u put it at half way or rampy all the way down or just not put it up its a good rampy wake and msatercraft wakes suck and the hulls can get a lot of stress craks
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       01-23-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
"msatercraft wakes suck and the hulls can get a lot of stress craks"
You truly know absolutely nothing about wakeboarding or boats for that matter.
A). Besides that guy with that crazy barbwire paint job on his X-Star, I've never seen or heard of MC hulls with stress cracks.
B). If you've done your research, you would have found that several people, including myself, believe that the X-1 has the best wake in the business. Also, if you knew anything, you would realize that if you're buying a boat from the big three (CC, Bu, MC), you are buying a boat that is very well built and has a great wake. Saying that one wake is better than another all comes down to personal preference and your riding style. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you have never been behind an X-1 saced out properly. Your just saying MC sucks b/c you are insecure about your buy or your riding ability and are taking it out on MC. I'm willing to except and welcome the opinions of people who believe that a 210, VLX, or ect.. has a better wake than a X-1. There opinion is just as, if not more valuable than mine pending on how much experience they have in the industry and around these boats. I will not take, however, that boats x's wake sucks from some idiot who doesn't have a lick of knowledge on the sport of wakeboarding. So, watch what you post next time.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-23-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Nope...there was no evidence to support the "Malibu has weak floors" claim. I've even called the MC guys out to find me some evidence to support their claims, but nobody stepped up.

Both boats are well built, and both will make a great wake. It all comes down to what will suit YOUR needs the best, and also which style of wake you prefer. The only way to really answer your question is to take boat boats out and see for yourself.