Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-13-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
i was wondering if i put my boat in a garage that's not climate controlled, should i winterized. Our temps stay in the 30's for a low. That's average....I live in Tn if that helps
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-13-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
Keep lights on in the garage and get some Christmas lights and put around engine. Or just take a few minutes and drain the water out of the block and water pump. I live in Texas and drain the block, water pump and heater after each use prior to putting it in storage.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-13-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
There are 3 concerns with winterizing, first (most important) is freeze protection. I'm in TN also and have a non-heated garage. I drain the engine and heater to be safe. We had a couple days in the teens and that might lower the temp in the garage to freeze.

The second concern with winterizing is engine rust, winterizing includes fogging the cylinders with oil to provide extra protection from condensation causing rust in the cylinders. This should be done anytime the boat will be stored for several weeks (months) without starting.

The third concern is fuel system. Gasoline degrades when sitting and will harm filters, injectors or carguretors. Winterizing includes adding fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and running long enough to disperse throughout the system.

Last year we winterized our boat in November then took it out in January. After going out in January I drained water but didn't fog or add stabilizer because we planned on going out every warm sunny day. Did't sit more that 2 weeks.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-18-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
how do you drain the water out of the block and where do i get that fogging spray
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-18-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
You can get fogging oil from Marine Outfitters. They can also winterize for you, or you can just ask Joyce at the store where the plugs are and do it yourself. I live in TN and always winterize my boats, but I know plenty of people that don't, and they've not had a problem. However, there garages are attached to the house, so they are somewhat heated.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-18-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
You can get fogging spray at Wal-mart, any marina, and most auto parts stores. There are drain plugs on both sides of the block under the exhaust manifolds. On one side it may be the knock sensor. You also have to drain the exhaust manifolds, v-drive, sea-water pump, and heater if you have one. If your boat has been outside since October I would be very concerned about damage from the December cold spell.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-18-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
You should be OK as long as the average 24 hour temperature stays above freezing.

Here are some charts from my boat sitting outside under a sunbrella boat cover.

Upload
Upload