Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-03-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
Check it out...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    DRA            01-03-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
Only one comment,

BAD A$$! Way to go Wet Sounds. I likey.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-03-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Just to clarify, these are not being produced by wetsounds. I found their Iron Cross grills to carry a little more attitude than my style so I chose to make a little change to something that follows the Polk grill styling like the rest of my boat. I designed the grills and had them machined out of plex and high grade billet aluminum then chromed. Then I added the blue leds.

Here are some of the assembly pix with the LEDs that I have sourced directly from China (still in testing).

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-04-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
Those are absolutely sweet. Clean. Professional. Not over done. A lot of LED stuff looks to 'bling-y' (if that's a word) for me. Those LED's look like they were born to be with that 485!
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-04-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
Mike-
You did a great job! They look awesome.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-04-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Mikeski,

Awesome! Great Job. Love the grille and the LED's I have been playing with some LED's for my personal boat. I did the rings for all the inside cup holders and was going to do the rings for the inside spks. And just put some SMD LED's on the inside of the grille. But I really like the look of yours. I may skip the rings on the inside of the boat and just do rings on the 485 and 80's.

Have you tried installing the LED's the other way? Curious what that would look like.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old    DRA            01-04-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Message edit from before:

Only one omment,

Bad A$$! Way to go Mikeski. I likey.
Old    mendo247            01-04-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
I WANT THAT! hahaha

Those look really good mikeski! Awesome work as usual...
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Those look great!!!! So when does the mass production start for you, because there is no way I could make anything like that.
Old    Ben Kerran            01-04-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Mikeski- That looks awesome. My boat is going in for a stereo/led lighting update in a couple weeks and I am going to be completely honest with you, I PLAN ON COPYING YOU. Or attempting something similar anyway, that looks really good. Don't forget to post some pic's once they are mounted. Great job as usual.
Old     (auerbach)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-04-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
How did you make the rings? The plex looks like it was done on a mill. Who made the grills?
Old     (getbigmatt)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-04-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Looks great. I'm interested in info on the rings as well.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-04-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Sierra Hobby machined the rings and chrome covers to my specs talk to Erik.

erik@sierrahobby.com

I just added the LED strips. They are new SMT strips with sticky tape on the back that I am sourcing from China. Even directly from China this stuff is not cheap, but I am quite happy with the end product.

Here are a couple shots with red LEDs facing in and facing out. I like them facing in much better because the reflect off the chrome grill.

Upload
Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-04-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
Mike,

Looks awesome, how did you route the LED power wire back into the Wetsounds enclosure?

(Message edited by yosquire on January 04, 2007)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-04-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
I like those covers much better than the others, and the blue looks awesome on the white.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-04-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
Craig,

Wetsounds come with a 4 wire plug but only use two of the wires. I am using the two unused wires in the factory plug to power the LEDs. I drilled a very small hole just outside the speaker to accomodate the wiring from the LEDs. All wiring is done inside the speaker housing.
Old     (speakersox)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-04-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
DAMNNNN..... that is sweet! Can you legally have red or blue lights on your tower?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-04-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
I believe that Red or Blue lights are not allowed on towers while running (legally).

But running at night is barely legal anyway. I really only plan on using them while tied up to the dock or while hanging our trailered.
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-05-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Mike,

Thanks once again for letting us work with you on your project. You were a pleasure to work with, as I find with most WakeWorlders. I'm glad you chose to chrome plate the grills. The LED's pointed inward has a cool effect reflecting on the chrome.

Erik, Sierra Precision Products, Sierra Hobby
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
sick, sick, sick.... Nicely done. Now if only I had the time/patience to work on projects like that.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       01-06-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Is there enough space in your groove to run two sets back to back? Then they could faces inside to the grill and out on to the face of the enclosure.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-06-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
It is somewhat difficult to take good pictures of LEDs (or any light). The LED tape actually shines a bit of light through the bottom as well as the top. The LED strip is actually completely hidden from view behind the speaker housing so LEDs facing outward would only shine into the speaker housing. In person I am completely satisfied with the halo of light surrounding the speaker with the LEDs facing in. I originally considered polishing the inside or the outside of the plex ring but I am pretty happy with them the way they turned out so I will probably save the extra work.
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-06-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
Great job!!
Old     (luckydevil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-17-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
It does look good, if any ones wanting some of these we produce them for many diff mfgs. even 1 offs if you have a design, www.luckydevildesigns.com
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
Mike the grill's look great. Im gonna quote you from another thread. "If the sherriff wants to be a jerk he can ticket you" LOL that suck's when your own advice to someone else comes back on you LOL.

I know your answer is gonna be somthing politicaly correct like this "I will only use these lights when parked, Bla Bla Bla: Yea right. Ill quote you again "If the sherriff wants to be a jerk he can ticket you". Hahahahahahahaaahha. I hate thoes word's
Welcome to the dark side my friend! Law breakers UNITE!
BTW how long is it gonna take Mike to go from this.
Upload
to this?
Upload
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-17-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Mikeski/ Bling it, not being electrically inclined myself...where do you hook the led wires up to once you place them in the speaker? Do they run through the tower down to your battery?
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-18-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
mikeski

looks great!
nice mill work!

I am just guessing, but you may be able to get the rings to be brighter by polishing the "inside" of the "light track".
You may be able to have your machine shop do this by "flame polishing" at a very reasonable price, (or even do it yourself).
I would guess that if you "polished" the outside it would expose the individual lights versus providing a "glow"

to achive more of a glow try having the outside glass bead blasted to a matte finish.

just some random thoughts / hopes this helps

(Message edited by mikea on January 18, 2007)