Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
so i have a couple of good grab guides:
Upload
Upload
But i was hoping to get some details or a diagram of the more "technical" grabs like slob, roastbeef, suitcase, nuclear, etc... Thanks
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-07-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Did you add the do not grab here for the tindy spot? If so thats pretty funny, if not that's still funny they put that there.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
sorry dan that was there when i got it. it is very funny because that was the main grab i was doing before i knew what it was. then i get that trying to find out what it is called and all i see is "do not grab here"
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-07-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Where did these quides come from? Do you have a link? What's up with the Tindy anyway? Why is that uncool?
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-07-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
thats a tindy grab which is between indy and tail grab. It doesn't count as an official grab.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-07-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
thats from wakeboardingmag.com I think.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-07-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
The second pic can be found on WW under the trick tip section but the first one not sure but funny.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
i thought lein was tailfish.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
so what other grabs are out there?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
right hand on nose (across body) = seatbelt?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
what about roast beef and chicken salad grabs?
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
I'm not sure about the Lien air moniker. From skateboarding (and snowboarding) I always thought it was a front hand, heelside grab done in a half pipe frontside. Is there something different WRT wake?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-07-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
grabs shouldn't have names.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-07-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
I have never heard of lein? tindy's rock! especially when they are poked. I think Murray used to do a poked tindy tantrum. back in like 96 or so.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
maybe it shouldn't, but it does, so live with it.

hi thane.
Old    funkytown            09-07-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
of all the board sports, wakeboarders are the only people who say tindy is cool. weird!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
Joe, Seatbelt grab is front hand to the tail.

I think a Lein is like a method but with your back hand? but i could be wrong.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-07-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
back hand, through the legs grabbing indy = Canadian Bacon

front hand, through the legs grabbing indy = Tai Pan

My fave trick EVER? HS Tai Pan 360, done with maginificent style by Jeff Thomas.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-07-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
"talefish" Thats pretty funny Joe.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
speaking of grabs, is anyone else burnt out on the nuclear grab?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   

quote:

is anyone else burnt out on the nuclear grab?

nope...grabs never burn me out.
Old    walt            09-07-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   

quote:

front hand, through the legs grabbing indy = Tai Pan

I've got to try that one.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-07-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
I've allways wondered what a front hand roast beef grab would be? I just call it a "cornish pasty" but there has to be a real name for it.

Wasn't there an article by schweene on grabs a while back?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-07-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
here you go, the basics: http://www.wakeworld.com/tricklist/tricktip023.asp
Old    walt            09-07-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Lets get some actual riding pics going on this thread.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
grabs as whole dont burn me out either. But the nuclear grab which made a huge comeback about 3 years ago for whatever reason stuck and now it's pretty excessive. I wouldn't mind seeing it on a new trick but it's usually the same 3: nuclear glides, tantrums, and ts backrolls. I guess after seeing 10 million of these it got kind of old.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-07-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
I invented a new grab, it's called a Negative Nancy, you let go with both hands, front hand under front leg grab toeside edge of board, back hand between legs grabbing heel edge of board. it's BITCHEN!!!
Old     (wakedjs679)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-07-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
wut about goofy riders?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-07-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
I like it Thane, that would be just soooo sweet!!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-07-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
for goofy riders, simply put your computer up facing a mirror.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
bg is correct on the seatbelt
a lien air is a stalefish with the front leg boned out and the upper body leaning over the tail ( it is a halfpipe trick)
Chicken salad is a roast beef grab ,but turn your hand in the opposite direction to grab. doing this forces you to poke out the board to even get the grab

Kristian, adam got nominated for 2 awards this year
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-07-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
Woah! good going for Adam!! What were they? Adam has just been killing it!
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
brinks, I have to disagree... a lien air is front hand on heelside edge with the BACK leg boned out, at least as far as its roots from skateboarding would indicate. Thats what I was asking before, is it that wakeboarders call a boned out stalefish a lien instead?
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
If a Slob with a frontside spin is legit, why wouldn't a Tindy with a backside spin be?

Overall, this grab purism seems odd. Why not just grab every part of the board? If it looks sweet, why the heck not?
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
oh, yeah, wakeboardingmag.com got a link to a nice Flash grab guide:

http://wakeboardingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=1008175
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
I think the idea was that a tindy was somehow "sloppy". but Alain is right. if someone is riding switch, and they do a switch slob, is that okay? it doesnt really make sense. if it looks good....

i see the flash guide also has lien as back hand, heelside behind the back foot, at one time, I thought this was a sloppy stalefish, tail grab which is what I had always heard called a "talefish" as joe noted. same thing, why is this okay but not "tindy"?

where do I file a complaint about the lien title?

here are lien airs..

http://skatealabama.com/brickyard/byard16.htm

http://www.skatepunk.net/skateboardingphotos/hagop/
(scroll down to the fourth photo.. Blender was the man back in the day!)
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-07-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
"back hand, through the legs grabbing indy = Canadian Bacon"

With a stiffy it's a Canadian Bacon, without it's a roast beef.

Unless you're talking reaching back to front? Then I have no clue, but roast beef and Canadian Bacon are reaching through grabbing the rear of the board.

(Message edited by EternalShadow on September 07, 2006)
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
Here is a few pics
http://www.wakeboard.com.sg/index.php?showtopic=118

cool interactive
http://www.wakeboard.com.sg/pics/tips/grabindex.htm

They've done a great job with wakeboard singapore....lots of cool stuff there.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-08-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
Jeffrey, I fare to differ. That doesnt make any sense. If you poke or even shifty a grab, it doesnt get a whole new name.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-08-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
I like thanes comment that grabs shouldn't be named. people spend way too much time and energy deciding what is 'cool'
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
hey Brinks.

Grabbing melons is my favorite.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
duncan's correct on the lein thing, except that it is one of the grabs that's direction dependent. so technically (and historically from every other boardsport), leins are done on a frontside air.

I've said this before but slobs are mute grabs on a frontside air. so historically speaking, they are not grabbed outside of the feet and they are not "switch tindys" or whatever you want to call them.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-08-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
Melanie, I know the wakeworld trick list is slightly oldschool but as it stands

a Palmer
Trick Name: Palmer

Description: Front hand heelside grab with twist

and a Canadian Bacon
Trick Name: Canadian Bacon

Description: Stiffy with heelside grab
Category: Advanced
Point Value: 525
Tip on performing this trick: The Canadian Bacon is similar to the Stiffy and Indy Stiffy... When you get the board up and forward at the 90 degree position, with your left hand (goofy footed, right hand regular footed) grab through your legs to the backside edge of the board. GRAB don't slap!!! As you get better at this trick, try pulling up on the board to get more vertical. To see the trick in action watch Gravity Sucks- Rich Goforth pulls off a nice one!! (along with a couple good Stiffys)
Old     (wakedjs679)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
"With a stiffy it's a Canadian Bacon, without it's a roast beef."

i was just goin to say that
Old     (wakedjs679)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
o and did u guys forget about goody riders? all the charts are for regular
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
read these. this gives a complete list of all the grabs and the proper way to do them.
http://www.transworldsnowboarding.com/snow/search?query=snowboard+terms
Duncan, you were right I had the wrong hand.
Snowboarding and skateboarding is where wakeboarding got all the grabs from. so this is a correct list of grabs and how to do them
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-08-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
Jeffrey, then can you please tell me what it is to grab, with your back hand, from between your legs to the front of the board? Theres a pic on the website Ryan threw up, the very first picture; http://www.wakeboard.com.sg/index.php?showtopic=118

(Message edited by Melanie on September 08, 2006)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-09-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'll tell you what that grab is melanie: here's the definition from "the SOL Lexicon: a Dictionary of Snowboard Terms"

Wack
Something that is not good. e.g. "that canadian bacon grab was pretty wack."
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-09-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
wakedjs I know it is really hard to find charts for goofy riders, it makes it hard, I've come to the conclusion that when I start grabs I'm just gonna grab whatever part of the board I can reach and not worry about what it's called.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-09-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
I dont get it Thane. Why would you say that it is not good? In my opinion, I think its kind of a technical grab that is not seen very often, snowboarding or wakeboarding. Not seen very often because you have to be rather limer, rather flexible to be able to grab in such a way.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-09-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
I think it's a pretty clean grab. :-)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-10-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
stylistically, they do look kind of weird. greg nelson had this one quote that said something like, he avoids any grab that makes him feel like he's playing twister.

obviously, do what you want, but you know...If I had to guess, that's kind of where thane is coming from.

and I don't think anyone really gives a poop, but if you really want to know where grabs are, look at skateboarding and research on your own. some of the grabs on that snowboard lexicon were adapted to a snowboard, so they're not quite the same as skating. but again, most probably don't care.
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Hey I thought that I would stop in and say thank you for the help on the grab guide. Clears up alot of confusion.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-10-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
do they not like methords or sommin
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Melanie: so because it's technical, and it's not seen very often, is that what makes it GOOD, to you? Or do you honestly think it looks good?

My opinion is I really honestly don't care how hard a trick is, or how flexible you have to be to do a certain grab, if it looks like your trying to scratch your big toe through your legs while your trying to take a peupty, then I'm not gonna say it's a good lookin' trick.

you don't do a grab just to grab. there's gotta be a reason. Look at that picture of the chick doing a canadian bacon, now if she was just doing a straight air and not grabbing, she would still look totally lame.

If you do lame straight airs, and you grab, it's gonna make you look even more lame. If you can make a straight air look cool, throwing a grab on it, is just gonna make it look that much cooler.

Don't take me the wrong way, if you're out there and you're having fun doing canadian bacons, and tai-pans, and roasy beef stiffy's, then you have my respect, because you're riding how you want to.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-19-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Thane, I think they(Tai Pan or Canadian Bacon) look good with spins. Probably look really cool with an invert too.