Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Does anyone else have the Proline Delta (or Militia) Carbon Handle?

My boyfriend bought me one for our anniversary and we took it out for the first time yesterday on Hayden Lake, ID. It's already starting to fall apart. Keep in mind that I'm only around 120 Lbs and my boyfriend is around 170.

The knot inside the handle is popping the rubberized metallic sticker seal off on one side (the triangular portion), the plastic casing on the rope where it attaches to the handle has severed and now the exposed rope is starting to get cut by the handle as well. Also, one of the velcro ends that holds the grip on is now floating around somewhere on Hayden Lake (which I found a bit amusing since the shop I bought it from assured me that the velcro ends wouldn't come off when I questioned this before purchase...ah...irony).

The shop we purchased it from is planning on making things right but I wanted to know if this was just a freak occurrence or should I purchase a different handle if given the choice. I really liked this handle before it started to fall apart.

Please let me know what you think I should do (get the same handle and give it another try or get a different one). Thanks.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-26-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Pics?

And if you want to stick with a carbon handle, get the Straightline Eclipse. All I can say is, "wow".
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Aden,

Haven't taken any pics yet (didn't think of it actually...so thanks for the idea) and I'm stuck at work without the handle right now. I'll be sure to get some pics before I take it to the shop this afternoon.

Funny you should mention the Straightline Eclipse...that was my boyfriend's first choice but it wasn't available locally for me to try out the handle (since I have small hands).

Hopefully this is just a one in a million defective handle since weren't any Straightline Eclipse handles at that shop the last time we were there and I have a feeling they'll just swap out my Delta. We'll see.
Old    awsnow            06-26-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
I have the Militia handle. The rope is exposed on mine where the rubber casing should be. It it also severed from when we tied the rope a little shorter. The tennis wrap on my handle is already torn. I have several chips on it. We've only been riding with this handle for about a month. I'm not too happy with ours. The smaller diameter hurts my hands.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Amanda,

Sorry to hear about yours. Did you get yours early this year too? Are you going to send yours back?

My boyfriend said his hands hurt because of the smaller diameter too. I actually liked the smaller diameter because it would fit with my wrist brace I am supposed to wear this season so that's why we found the Delta to be a good fit...but I must admit, my hands did hurt a bit more than they did with last year's handle (which was a lower end handle). Hard to tell though when you're already injured so I figured it was my injury/brace more than the handle.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
some of those handles were recalled. The factory will replace it. sounds like you got one of the bad ones.
Old    awsnow            06-26-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
We got our handle last month. My husband didn't seem concerned about the problems we have had attributing them to "normal wear and tear". I really didn't give much thought about taking it back, until reading your post. The guys at the pro shop are awesome. They would probably trade with us. Keep me updated with what happens with yours. Good luck.
Old    awsnow            06-26-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thane, where did you find that information?
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Thane Dogg...good to hear the shop won't get stuck with it (I didn't think they would anyway...Proline's a good company and so's the shop I'm working with). I was wondering if I should pursue a different handle but if the problem's been fixed...no worries.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Amanda - I'll be sure to keep you updated on what happens. I'm thinking you might want to consider swapping yours out (now that we know our local shops most likely won't get stuck with our stuff). Best of luck to you.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
I work in a shop.

You guys should check out the LG handle too. It has a smaller grip, and it's tacky.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
The guys at Proline with 100% take care of you. Go to their website and send and E-mail to Justin Nix. They are killer with customer service.

Thane is right as usual. There were some early handles that had some problems. Both the Delta and the LG were totally new handle technology for this year and took a bit to work the kinks out. They have both been updated. IMO I like the LG better anyway. You may consider looking into that. I'm just not at all into carbon handles, although I do like the bent shape.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Is the LG the one with the leather-ish chamois like grip on it? Wait a sec...going to feel silly if the LG is short for "leather grip." Go ahead...make me fell silly...is it that one?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Yes LG stands for Leather Grip. I just figured this out the other day so don't feel bad.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
I bought a LG1 and it sinks like a rock. I called Proline and they were very helpful and said that if I sent it back they would send me a new one. My problem is that I dont want to be without it for a couple of weeks. I think I am just going to keep it and deal with it sinking.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
Thanks Thane Dogg...and to think I thought I left you an open opportunity!

BTW...My boyfriend & I enjoy reading your posts. You are very helpful and we also enjoy the posts where you go off on people...makes for a better day at work...too funny. Thanks.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Jon - Did it sink right away or develop this over a period of time? I'm wondering if I should go check out the shop's restroom and give it a floaty-float-float test (the sink...not the toilet) before trading out my Delta for the LG. Either way, Proline will take care of it I suppose. I hear ya' on not wanting to be without a handle.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
M - I try to help out when I can.

The LG with the wrap handle comes with floats on it. The straight one, with no wrap doesn't have floats.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Guido - Justin from Proline emailed me before I could contact him (since he was on wakeworld.com and read my postings). Now that's customer service! If the shop doesn't have the ability to provide a good fast solution...I'll have Justin help out. I have to admit I'm starting to sway towards the LG though...
Old    awsnow            06-26-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Just got off the phone with Justin Nix...Absolutely kick-a@@ customer service. I said it once and I will say it again, WakeWorld and it's members are awesome!!! Thanks for the response from everyone and M, contact Justin, he is a super nice guy.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
Great news to hear things are going well for you Amanda. So, what are they going to do for you and how long will you be without a handle?

I agree with you that Justin is super nice and he managed to email me before I could email him about my handle. If the shop isn't able to help, I'll be sure to call him.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
Glad to hear you ladies are getting the help you need.

WakeWorld is most definitely an amazing resource and people like Justin are a huge asset to a company like Proline.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
Mine doesn't have any floats on it. I was told by someone on here that it should float without them. The one I have floats when it is dry but as the day goes on it starts sinking.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Here's the latest update. My Delta was one of the few that had the problems it had. I forgot to take pics before going to the shop last night since I had to race home to pick it up and get to the shop before it closed (got there with only 10 minutes before closing). Sorry about that...I really wish I'd remembered to take the pics. Oh well, it's probably better this way since everything is being taken care of anyway.

So, our local shop was confused as to why my Delta fell apart in one day since most of the shop riders use the same handle. They were more than happy to take care of the situation. Only problem, they told me that the Delta's are out of stock and that they only have the Militia's left. There is a chance that their next order that is coming in on Wednesday will have a Delta in it. At this point, I'd rather have the LG1 with floats. I let them know this and to not stress it. I won't get to ride any earlier than Thursday or Friday this week anyway. So, the story continues but in a positive light. Proline and our local shop are taking care of everything so I'm a happy (yet handle-less) girl.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-29-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
And the ending to my Proline Delta story...

Our local shop got their shipment of handles in from Proline yesterday and I chose the LG1 and a wakeboard DVD instead another Proline Delta. Love the LG1's grip and am hoping to use it this weekend or before. Thanks local shop and thank you Justin at Proline for taking care of this so quickly.