Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    malibu_nut            04-05-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
Just a stupid random question. What is the purpose of having 2 speedometers?? I know it has something to do with skiing but i'm not sure exactly what there for.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-05-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
It dates back to competitive slalom skiing to ensure that the slalom course was run at the same speed every time. Do the current competition ski boats have two since Perfect Pass and other speed control devices are out there?
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-05-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
I always thought it was for when you were turning
Old    malibu_nut            04-05-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
Thanks, I am not sure about the new ski boats either.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
I think it is so you can go twice as fast!

Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-05-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
It is from the competition ski days and 2 speedos was required in the event one malfunctioned during a pass.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Twice the odds of having one actually work.

The pitot tubes clog fairly easily and have other temporary failure modes. Lots of things will make them read low so you pick whichever one reads highest or at least looks more reasonable.

Newer boats still have dual pitot tubes but they both feed into a single display unit, which converts to digital and then it decides which one to use (although I am not impressed with the job it does).
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-06-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
I thought most new boats had a paddle wheel for there speedos.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
To fill the hole where PerfectPass belongs
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-06-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
95% of new ski boats will have perfectpass w/ 1 speedo. PerfectPass was designed for skiing the course (A slalom skier takes his "pass" through the course - hence PerfectPass). The speedo's are actually useless and not even used by slalom skiers. PerfectPass is much more complex for 3 event skiing, it really has taken away the need for a speedo at all.

Someone should think of something else to put in its place.