Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    joeboat_79            03-31-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
I'm interested in getting info on if installing a tower on my seadoo will really make that much difference in getting AIR or should I focus on adding balast?
I have a 1998 16 foot SeaDoo Speedster and love it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
IMO, not a good wakeboarding boat. Keep it the way it is and enjoy it for what it is. If you want to really get a better wake look at channing to an inboard v-drive.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-31-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Trade it in. The wake can't be fixed.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-31-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Well, the tower will give you more room, that is for sure. You can get your boards out of the way which would be nice on a 16 footer. It will also give you a little more air... but not much.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
Ballast will give you more air than a tower. But it's kind of a catch-22. I'd start out by adding lead. And a lot of it. Then I'd be looking at towers pretty hard.

You do have *one* advantage over these wakeboard boats. Your 16' SeaDoo has much less under-side surface area than a wakeboard boat. Thus, 100 pounds will give you a larger percentage of increase in wake size than adding 100 pounds to a wakeboard boat.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-01-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
Listen to Ed. Save your money, you won't see a large difference with a tower and/or ballast in that boat. Enjoy it for what it is and if you want to get serious about wakeboarding trade it in for an inboard.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
I know that most people on this site are not fans of these "seadoo" boats (including me).

So, do you all know that the wake sucks with proper ballast from real experience (or is this just your bias showing through)?

For some reason, I feel repulsed by these boats even though I have never been in one.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-01-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
Never ridden behind one, would if the opportunity presented it's self. But there is a reasonable set of facts to go off of.

1) 12-inch draft
2) Jet thrust - not good for the wake
3) Low weight 1700 lbs dry
4) April 2006 Boating World review of the 20 foot Seadoo, make an effort to avoid the wake quality question

http://www.seadoo.com/NR/rdonlyres/42E7AD36-83ED-43E3-9538-CFAA517A8A6B/0/BOMSeaDoo.pdf

"Megan prefers the boat over her PWC
— these have also become popular towing
machines — because it can hold a
crowd (as opposed to two on a watercraft).
She’s also only into wakeskating
these days (despite having placed sixth in
the Pro Wakeboard nationals two years
ago) and foresees a time when wakeskating
will overtake wakeboarding in terms
of popularity — partly because of cost
(wakeskates tend to be cheaper than most
wakeboards and don’t require bindings),
and partly because it can be done with a
less substantial wake than wakeboarding."

"...LESS SUBSTANTIAL WAKE..."

I sure it's a great boat and has it's place in the boating market. If you want to really get air think about switching tow vehicles.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Seadoo Challenger X with 1400lbs. not that big for the weight added but its all I have for now.Upload
Old     (wakeair1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-03-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
Hey Joe we have built several towers for Sea Do's here is one we built last yearUpload