Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-26-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
Heres the link Whats up with that!

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/local/14185048.htm
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Why is it that some police think they are above the law?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-27-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
The headline read "and possible loss of his job"....it should read "lost his job". Dude had 44 empty beer cans in his boat. What a wanker.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-27-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
what a bastard! Hope he suffers while in jail. this is what scares me the most about being on the water. too many people like this.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-27-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Thomas, if he goes to jail, he will get what he deserves....
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-27-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Why is it that some police think they are above the law?

Ummm...I guess you're suggesting that no one else in any other line of work has done something like this before?

Go bash police somewhere else.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-27-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
That will teach those damn PWC bastards!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-27-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
thats really unfortunate. Hate to see/hear about accidents on the water. For a while, I thought being on the water and drinking just went hand in hand. Now I make sure I have a few bottles of water and some snacks instead of beer. I'll drink it, don't get me wrong. But I will have 2, not 12. Especially, if I'm driving.

Dave, you have to admit that his behavior was unacceptable
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-27-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
Dave - i think the key word is "some" (cops think they're above the law). i agree and feel they give the rest a bad name. do you disagree with that?

on a side note, we had a wakeboard club meeting last week, and one of the lake patrol was nice enough to come out for it. gotta give props to officer Wade for donating his personal time to www.360wakeboard.com and the local boarding community, and answering the high school kids all fifteen times when they asked in several different ways if they could build sliders on Lk Austin.
Old    00wakesetter            03-27-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Dave, bash police? It sounds like this guy deserves to be more then bashed. I dont think he was bashing police, just this guy that happend to be a cop and made a very bad decision.
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-27-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
My only point was that it really doesnt matter what the guy "did" for a living. The comment, "Why is it that some police think they are above the law?" isn't really appropriate here is it? I mean he got what he deserved and wasn't treated any differently because he "was" an officer. No one looked the other way in this incident, so no one was above the law.

Trace, I absolutely agree....just as in any profession there are idiots and everywhere.

No special treatment was given in this incident unless I am missing something.

Old    stillstandin            03-27-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Trust me, other police officers will be more upset with him, then the general public.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-27-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Dave. From the title, and some of the comments, it seems to be suggested that this guy expected or tried to get special treatment because he is a cop. I do not see anywhere in the article where that happened (with the exception of his lawyer. Their job seems to try and get everyone off - guilty or not). Don't get me started on that angle. This guy just made a very bad decision to drive drunk, hit someone, then made an even worse decision to haul ass and not take responsibility for his actions. You would think he should know better.

Bottom line is - cop or not, he is human, just like the rest of us. He did the same thing many "non-cops" have done many times. He gets labeled since he is a cop. Unfortunately, cops are held somewhat to a higher standard as far as "should have known better", etc. This guy made a big mistake, and he will be paying dearly for it. Unfortunately, the victim(s) in this paid even a greater price with their injuries and lifelong disabilities. Really sad.

Let's all take this as another example of how bad things can go. Stay safe out there!
Old    stillstandin            03-27-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Good post Buzz.. Not everybody will lose there job if they hit somebody drunk. This guy will, and rightfully so. Not to mention his peers will def be looking down on him.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-27-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
All too often it seems like cops do get special treatment. But yeah, glad he's going down.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-28-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
I dont agree. I think police officers need to be held to a higher standard. Maybe thats just me. But they take an oath to uphold the law, and how I interpet that, its not just while on the job.
Old     (norcalboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-03-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Buzz had a great post. In every profession there are idiots who make bad decisions. The tone in the above post "some cops think there above the law" is a negative tone somewhat directed at the law enforcement community. It might have been better said "some people think their above the law." In most police agencies, officers are held to a higher standard (for obvious reasons) than the general public ie; a minor violation/accusation of law that would be overlooked because of manpower and priority issues for the average Joe is typically blown into a full investigation when it's Officer Joe (rightfully so). So if anything, it's the other way around. The important thing in all this is the injuried party. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets back out on the water
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-04-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
I am a Correctional Officer and I am not a Police Officer, but I do carry a badge. First off what that Police Officer did was straight up wrong, regardless if he was an Officer or not. If anyone hit, ran over anyone regardless of what they do for a living they need to do whats right and admit their wrong doings and deal with the situation at hand. For him doing a hit and run especially with victims involved he deserves to do time and then some.

Being in Law enforcement is not an easy job regardless of what people think. They are the first person called to deal with situations no one else wants to deal with, yet when you are the one doing something wrong they are the enemy. That is a job I would never want to have. It is hard enough being a Correctional Officer and having people look up to me to deal with their problems while jail. I know if I do the wrong thing everyone frowns down on me, but no one really cares about all the good I have done. It can be a thankless job.

I do agree with some Police Officers and Correctional Officer that think they are above the law. I know some Parole and Probation Officer that think that as well. Hey to each there own, they will have to answer to someone, one day as well. Maybe that is the case of the Police Officer mentioned. I do not know him, but regardless he made some poor choices at his crossroad and now he must pay. I feel bad for his victims.

Brannon
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-04-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
I boat at that lake. I take my kids and friends there. I remember reading about it a week before we went last year, I talked to the girl at the marina about it. She said that his passenger ran up and got the truck and that they pulled the boat out of the water really quick. Then the police found them at the campsite. I'm really glad that idiot is off the lake for a few years, whoever he is. He screwed the victim. It may have been one of us.
Old    moombarider132            04-05-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
oink
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-05-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
That sounded intelligent.