Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    h20nautique            03-04-2006, 5:07 AM Reply   
I'm relocating to Denver this spring and wondering if many people in the area ride? Is Chatfield the best bet or is there somewhere I haven't found yet.

If anybody has any info I'd appreciate it. If you want to hook up and ride or need a pull...let me know.

Scott
Old    durangopprboy            03-09-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Scott.
Good luck, you can also try Cherry Creek, Boyd, Pueblo but all of them get crowded. Last time I was up there my brother and I went to Boyd and in October it was crowded. There is a private wakeboard lake off c-470 and Morrison rd. A lot of front range people go to the eastern plains lakes, Sterling, Jackson etc.
I an going to stick to Navajo.
Here are a couple of shops they can probably help you out. The guys at S&W are real cool. I haven't been to the other yet

S & W Performance Marine
2450 West 63rd Court, Denver, CO 80221

Wakeboard & Waterski Specialty
6851 Pecos Street, Denver, CO 80221
(303) 430-0202

Old    swass            03-09-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
I think The Evil Empire owns the lake off of C470.

Tommy's Slalom Shop
3740 N. Sheridan Blvd.
Denver, Co 80212
(303) 455-3091
www.tommysslalomshop.com

(Message edited by swass on March 09, 2006)
Old    low_key_wake            03-09-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
that lake has a slider, but I have NEVER EVEN ONCE sceen a wakeboarder on that lake. only skiers.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-09-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
The lake at the Morrison exit is S & W's lake now. Tommy's lake is at the Bowles exit on C470 on the west side. It's tough to see from the road.
Scott, the best bet for the local lakes is weekdays at Chatfield, Cherry Creek, or Boyd. You can try for a permit at Sloans or Standley but not for certain. As Greg said, check with the dealers and try to get your name on a private lake waitng list. Good luck.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
the empire owns bergan which is off of belview. but that is not an option. the lake on 470 i believe is run by s&w but not sure.
if you want a pull this summer let me know we are on a private lake in ft collins. it opens on april 1st. let me know if you are interested
Old    durangopprboy            03-09-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
I feel sorry for you front range guys. Crowds, waiting lists. When I lived up there I didn't own a boat. My only experience was getting 17 stiches in my foot when someone wanted to teach me to ski at Cherry Creek.
I just can't help pimping Navajo. No crowds and for the most part everyone is cool. The water gets warm (for colorado). Last summer I blew up my getto ski boat. The last few times out we ended up boarding behind my toon. Soon enough we we hanging out with other riders and getting pulls and partying on my toon. My brother in Broomfield loves the place so much he came down 4 times last year. We run into a lot of people from Denver and the Springs. If anyone decides to come this way let me know so we can try to hook up.
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-10-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
I went to navajo for the first time last May, awesome lake and wasnt busy on Memorial Day weekend. Only problem that early in the year is the water is a little cold.

Greg, how long does it take you to get down there from Denver, took us like 6-7hours is there a shorter/better route?

dc
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Whats up guys, I too am a Coloradoan! Heres my lake run down. First off, Standley lake sold out of passes in aprrox. 4 hours. Chatfield is a zoo on the weekends, usually at least one person get killed there every year! I ride Chatfield after work sometimes. Usually I ride Horsetooth Res. above Fort Collins early season before it gets too crowded. After that then it's up to Green Mountain Res. The best kept secret in Colorado. cold but it's barren. My wife and I will probably have a pass to Sloan's lake this year since we only work about 3 miles away. Thats about it.

PS: We are looking to ride behind some different boats this year also, so if you wanna swap tows hit me up!

Late
Dave
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
The more I hear about the Denver lake scene the better I feel about my decision not to relocate there after college. I've skied on the Morrison lake (Little Soda) a couple times. It is nothing special, let me tell you.
Old    durangopprboy            03-11-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
DC the shortest route is highway 285.( 325 miles) It about 50 miles shorter than 1-25 through Walsenburg. Sounds like you made about the right time. Easy for me to say I’m in the water there in 40 minutes. No doubt it’s a long drive but like you said no crowds.
We were there last Memorial Day too, where did you camp?
The water did seem a little cold last Memorial Day. It could be the lake went up 70 feet last spring. We usually suit up in April, May and June. The water did get up into the 70’s in July, August and September.

Upload
My son enjoying a late day cruise at Navajo
Old    low_key_wake            03-12-2006, 1:47 AM Reply   
there are some great lakes in colorado, just be ready to drive or freze...
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-12-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Actually Greg we stayed in one of the cabins the state parks own, we had a new Crownline 21' and a Yamaha PWC.

dc
Old    durangopprboy            03-12-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
We were in Rosa. We usually try to stay at windsurf beach. It has a pretty good night life and you can access your boat all day long without having to climb up those cliffs.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-12-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey everyone! Mike Oakman, long time no talk man! We never hooked up last summer like we talked about. We definitely need to hook up this summer. Maybe do another "MileHigh Meet & Greet" at the beginning of the summer again. And maybe somewhere else as well.

As for the lakes in Colorado.....this state does not have alot of lakes. We all make due with what we have. Scott, everyone has already given you the complete run down of lakes that are available. One that hasn't been mentioned is Lake McConnehey in Nebraska. It's an option. One that we hit up a few times each summer. We have a house up there on the lake. Makes it a great three day weekend. Mountain lakes are heaven with their glass and butta, but they are very cold! Like said before, drive and/or freeze.

One thing to consider though is to board with other crews. We're always looking for a few new people. We hit it every weekend and at least a time or two during the week.

Also, anyone else wanting to ride swap drop me an email. Always looking for others.

Nick Heckerson- If you're ever out this way look me up, I'd be more than happy to give you a pull. Also, I might be in Manhattan at some point this summer to ride. I'm planning on bringing the boat.

Spring is right around the corner........ We should be on the water within the next three weeks or so.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-12-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Kraig,

I'll definately drop you an e-mail if I'm ever out there over the summer. I'm moving to St. Louis in 3 weeks, so I probably won't hit up Tuttle Creek much, but shoot me an e-mail when you are out there, might make the trip back. I'm thinking about going out there on Friday and doing a little riding.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-12-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
I have lived in the Denver area for a long time... the lake scene is obscene, but if you have the flexibility to ride during the week, it is pretty good. We usually hit Chatfield Friday mornings just as the sun is coming up. Aside from some fishing-boat obstructions, it is a nice lake that time of day. Don't even think about getting a good set in at any time on the weekends. I have seen wakeboarders trying to ride through the crowds and it looks punishing. Like Dave said, one person, at least, will die there every summer. The weekend boaters in Denver are, IMO, rude, obnoxious, and just trying to show off their toys. Why else would you float a 30+ cigarette boat on that small lake? Go early and leave early. If you ever want a pull, send me an e-mail jamin_h@yahoo.com
Thanks for the good info on Navajo, we are going to try it out this summer.
Old    h20nautique            03-13-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all of the info and for the offers of hooking up for a few pulls. Sounds like the weekdays are the best bet. I'll be living near Chatfield and am usually off work by about 3 so I'll be trying to get out in the afternoons.

I like to have a few crews to ride with and am always up for putting my boat on the water... I'll post on here when I get to town in a few weeks and see if it's warm enough to get out.

The cold factor will take a little getting used to but I think I'll adjust. We were out yesterday here in N.C. with 58 degree water and 85 degree air... not bad for early March.

Thanks again for all of the info..