Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Hey guys I'm buying some fat sacs and a pylon this year for my I/O and have a couple questions. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks.- Greg

Will 520 lbs of sacs + about 250 lbs sand produce a decent wake on a 19 ft I/O?

I know I need a new prop with 4 blades and a certain pitch but does anyone know specifics on a good pitch, size, brand etc?

Hows the tsunami pump? Does it hook up to a cigarette lighter thing?: http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_pumps/fly_high_tsunami_pump_W709

Is the check valve filling adapter worth the extra $30? http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_fittings_hose/fly_high_pro_x_fitting_W744

Lastly has anyone ever used a "Big Air Pylon"? It's 7 feet tall which seems a little big but only $310 shipped. http://bigairpylons.com/Wakeboard_Pylons.htm

(Message edited by thedocta on February 12, 2006)
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
the tsunami pump will hook up to a cig lighter thing. I wouldnt know anything about the rest because i have not used my ballast yet or the pylon.
Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
ok thanks...my boat doesn't have one should I wire one in somehow or buy a portable on? Jus wondering whats easier
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
i dont know, if you have the money wiring one would probably be less of a hassle, but if not a portable one is not that big of a problem
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-13-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
If you just want to use the cig lighter connection for the pump, get yourself a female cig lighter plug from Radio Shack. They're less than $10 (seems like it was $5 last time I bought one) and then all you have to do is throw some large flag connectors on the end and you can just screw the cigarette lighter connector to the battery terminals when you need it. Make SURE you wire positive and negative properly if you do this. They should be labeled but I usually put a piece of red electrical tape around the + wire and use proper red and black flags just to make sure I don't reverse it.

Big Air's universal pylons are cheaper for a reason. In the back of most universal pylons there are metal support poles like the ones you find on tournament ski pylons (the 48" or so ones) and a support cable in the front to account for the extra height vs a ski pylon. Big Air uses cables in both the back AND front of the pylon. In my opinion, the two sets of cable will probably work just fine since most roll-your-own pylons use this same method. Personally though, if I were going to spend the extra bucks on a manufactured pylon instead of just using a floor jack and ratchet straps, I'd spend the extra $50 on one with actual support poles in the back.

And a little off-topic, but how on earth does the word "pylon" not register with the spell checker on a wakeboarding forum?

One other thing, I would get the sacs and pylon in place before you fool with different props. My 3 blade on the I/O pulls just fine with the 4.3L Mercruiser but if yours does not, it would be a shame for you to spend the money on a new prop and then find out that it won't cut it after adding the weight and pylon.

(Message edited by hal2814 on February 13, 2006)
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-13-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
yea i have a 3 blade prop on my boat too, its fine. 4.3 mercruisers all the way lol.
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-13-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
the fly high setup is the way to go. the tsunami pump is so much faster than the rest, you will save lots of time filling and draining. the sacks have the quick connects on them, they are made of the same material hovercrafts are, and they are square so they dont roll around. i threw out all my old sacks when i got these.