Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-20-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
To power 4 Infinity Kappa 3-way 6x9's, which is better/delivers more power?

D3 400.2 or D3 400.4

The 2-channel should be better since it would be running at 2 ohms, am I correct?

Anyway, just really unhappy since this will be the third Diamond amp... The first was the 4-channel and seemed plenty loud, but one of the banks/set of channels stopped working, so I brought it in to where I bought it. They exchanged it for a 2-channel (they didn't have any 4-channels in stock, plus they said it would be louder). Now it seems this amp's left channel has pooped out, grrr. Getting frustrated with Diamond. Thanks for any input :-)
Old     (ridnlow)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
you are going to get the same power with both of them.. The 4 channel will let you run the speakers at 4ohm which means the amp will run cooler, than if you were to run the speakers at 2ohm.. Diamond Audio is really good, however if they have a weak spot their d3 amps are it.. The insides look a lot like clarion amps. The higher end Diamond amps however, are in the elite class of car stereo..

(Message edited by ridnlow on October 20, 2005)
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-21-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
From my experience youd be better off just running the 2 channel and here is why: You can run it bridged at 4 ohms which is plenty inside the amps capabilities. You would then only need one set of wires to run to your speakers. Put the left two in series and the right two in series = 8 ohms each, then put those two in parrallel = 4 ohm load. You wont be able to tell its in stereo anyway so running in mono is fine. If you run the 4 channel your going to need to run 8 count them, 8 wires to the tower versus 2 larger wires (i used 12 gauge). Even still the stereo wont be as loud as if you run it like im saying since your output would be half when you run the 4 channel at half capacity IE: you could probably run the 4 channel with each channel at 2 ohms but youll be at 4 with those 6 X 9's.