Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
I don't understand why every lake in Northern California is on the rise and the Bureau of Reclamation feels it is necessary to let more water out of Folsom Lake than is going in. Check out the link

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?FOL

What the hell is going on?

Shasta and Oroville are up 10 ft in 11 days and Folsom is essentially unchanged. They need to let the lake fill up a bit so we don't run in to the same situation as last year, an empty lake.
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
I believe the reason they're doing this is becasue the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada is huge still and they're anticipating a massive snow melt and subsequent spring river flows. Most reservoirs in the west peak in water level between mid-may and mid-june. If they're still letting more water out than is flowing in in a month and a half, then i'd start to worry.
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
On the website to which your post links, look at the TOC STO column. That stands for Top Conservation Storage level. Most reservoirs in CA are for both flood control and water supply. The TOC level is as high as they want the reservoir to be for this time of year because between the snow in the mountains and the average amount rain we usually get before the rainy season ends, they need the rest of the storage to soak up potential high runoffs and prevent floods. So when the reservoir reaches the TOC number, they release water. As the rainy season progresses, the TOC number keeps going up until it about reaches the actual reservoir capacity.

Irksome to watch them let the water go out. Occasionally, like last year at Shasta, they let out water earlier in the year because the TOC was reached, but then it stops raining early and the reservoir never gets filled. But the folks downstream along the river say "Thanks." Can you tell I'm one? I'm always looking at how close the actual reservoir level is to the TOC because that's when big reservoir releases might be coming. Then its time to get the boat trailer out of the yard before the river arrives.

Resetting to lurk.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-22-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
What a bunch of bozos. They completely choked last year, and they're about to do it again. Mindless, spineless, beurocrats.

Who can we complain to? Anyone know?
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-22-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
K.J., John,

Remember that the main reason for these reservoirs is flood control, not recreation. The BLM wont risk flooding and deaths so we can wake board. While I agree that a full lake/reservoir is more appealing to boat in, there are plenty of lakes near Folsom where you can board. And we should have a great spring/summer season.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-22-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
John,

You need to check out Lake Clemintine. I've been there a couple times with my cousin who lives over in Granite Bay... Very nice lake.

Old    murrayair            02-22-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
Bruce- While it is true that Folsom's main purpose is as a reservoir, the same is true of Shasta. However, Shasta, being the biggest reservoir in Cali, provides water to millions more people than Folsom ever will, yet they are letting Shasta fill up instead of draining it.

They did this exact same thing last year and by the end of the summer there was barley a south fork left. This sucks.

(Message edited by murrayair on February 22, 2005)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-22-2005, 11:48 PM Reply   
Regarding Shasta, if you remember a few years back during El Nino they screwed up and kept the water level up then unexpectedly had a large snowfall followed by a heavy rain. They were forced to release water above flood stage in order to keep it from going over the top of the dam, and causing even more flood damage.

When you can predict the weather...
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Matt:

I've been to Clementine. When it's not crowded it's great. But it's really small too. They've got 40 vertical feet to go before it reaches the top of the dam. I just think they're pulling the trigger too early.... again. They don't use common sense, they simply reach their pre-determined figure and pull the trigger. All I ask is that they THINK a little. BTW: No rain predicted for the next 7 days.