Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (guitartguy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
We had a friend on the boat yesterday who would let go of the rope as soon as we started the pull. She said she wasn't sure what she was afraid of and really wants to wakeboard. She has no background of watersports, snowboarding, skiing, or skate boarding. Has anybody run into this before? Any ideas?
Old    papi            07-11-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
Mike,
Each summer we take about 400 High school kids to Lake Mead for a week on house boats and I have witnessed this before.
I have used 3 techniques (with as few observers as possible);
1st, go over it on land without and with a board helping them go through the motions with a hand grasp and then the handle.
2nd having them behind the boat with the board on and using the swim step as a lever point and physicaly pulling them up.
3rd putting someone in the water with them.
Wish I could say it was 100% but every now and then I have run across one that just can’t overcome it.
Old    cryft            07-11-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Maybe, if you have some, get her up on some skis first so that she can get the feel of being pulled then switch her over to the wakeboard. People are really intimidated by the wakeboard for some reason but shouldn't be by some skis.
Just a thought, good luck with it though...
Old    dante            07-12-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
My brother used to let go as soon as we started pulling. What I did was drop the boat just barely in gear so he would be getting pulled at a very slow pace. Once he looked comfortable, I picked up the speed for a slightly slower than average start.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-12-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
YOu could try a knee board where they lay down on it, and just get pulled a lil bit so they get used to that
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
tape her hands to the rope.....fail proof. jk