Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (shanemulleryahoocom)      Join Date: May 2007       07-19-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
I just recieved my new handle and rope. I got the proline lg combo and the rope that came with it says coated Spectra mainline, but nothing about no-stretch. So i guess i still don't have a no stretch line!!! so is this rope not good then?
Old     (cadethockey10)      Join Date: May 2006       07-19-2007, 5:19 AM Reply   
No, spectra line is the "no-stretch" line.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-19-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
Spectra and Dyneema are no-stretch.
Old     (shanemulleryahoocom)      Join Date: May 2007       07-19-2007, 5:40 AM Reply   
funny because the little warning tabs on the on the line say the it will stretch during use and on the proline box it calls out different lines that are named "no-stretch" spectra mainline??? I guess I was just curious if there was a difference.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-19-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
Semantics.

Spectra and Dyneema will set the weave. That elongates the rope. We call that "stretch."

Spectra and Dyneema will "creep." That is a elongation of the rope over time without a recoil. We call that "stretch."

Actual stretch is an elongation followed by a recoil to the orignal rope length. Spectra and Dyneema do not do that. Ski ropes made out of PolyPropylene do (essential for slalom skiing). PolyEthylene ropes do stretch just a bit, but very little and the recoil is very slow - it takes more time than PolyPro lines to recover the length.

Spectra and Dyneema are made from PolyEthylene. The extrusion is different. Spectra is the same kind of extrusion process as a grocery bag. Experiment with a bag and you can see and feel the properties described above.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-19-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
It think that is one of the most intelligent, articulate, knowledge filled posts I've read in months :-) Congrats!!
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
The labels that are put on spectra and dyneema ropes that warn of stretch are there for product liability reasons. However, both spectra and dyneema stretch, but we are talking like an inch in a 75' rope.

FYI: There is not very much difference between Spectra or Dyneema. Both products are HMPE (high modulus polyethlene) materials, and both products are brand name HMPE fibers for different companies. For example: Dyneema is a brand name for a HMPE fiber made and patented by DSM.

There are some slight differences in the two products, Spectra and Dyneema, which really do not effect the performance as wakeboard ropes: These would be the number of filaments and the actual makeup of the yarn.

The main benefits of Spectra and Dyneema over other fibers previously used in wakeboard / water ski ropes are their extremely high strength and durability. The high strength results in very low creep (stretch).

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
www.wakeboarding-winch.com