Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
Ok...I'm 19, will be riding in the womens division and this is my first real comp and I'm kind of lost on how they work. Should I plan out my run before I go, or just throw what's workin that day or what feels good? Alright guys, here's my small, but simple list of things I can do. These are all W2W unless otherwise noted...

1. HS FS 180
2. Indy Grab
3. Shifty's (is that what their called?)
4. Tail Grab

And some other grabs like a method (i've done a few times), roastbeef and nose grab. I don't have a lot of technical tricks that are consistent right now but here are of few pics of some of my best air last season. I'll be riding with a broken foot, but shouldn't slow me down too much. I've tried a backroll a few times, but haven't landed yet. Should I throw it at the end just to throw it or not?

And one last thing. What are the judges looking for as far as style of riding, technical tricks and things? Any tips or ideas?

Anything is going to help me out a ton. If anyone has the time, it would help out a lot to maybe draw out, or give me an idea of an outline on my run and which tricks I should do/try.

Thanks for all your help!! I'll let you know how the comp goes this saturday!

Jamie

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Nice "poke" on that first photo!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
hs indy (take it big! it's your opening trick!)
ts indy
hs fs 180
halfcab
hs method
ts grab

hs nosegrab (take it big! it's the opening trick of your 2nd pass!)
ts nosegrab
hs grab 180
grab halfcab
hs indy shifty
ts roastbeef

judges are looking for execution, style and amplitude. do your tricks cleanly. do it with style. do it big. don't do a hs trick, then cross the wake to do another hs trick. it not only wastes your water time, but doesn't look good to judges.

most importantly, have fun. judges like to see riders having fun and not looking pissed off.

(Message edited by dakid on June 19, 2007)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
btw, in the first pic, grab that shizz!!! if you had grabbed stalefish w/ your back leg poked out, not only would it have been technically correct, it would've looked sick!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
sick riding.

and Joe put on a good list.

go practice it a few times before the tournament and memorize it so you dont get nervous and forget.

have fun with it too! dont forget that!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
First of all, you are going bigger than any girl I have ever seen on this website(that isn't pro). Just like Joe said, do a big indy grab first trick. Judges like to see intensity and style. Do all of your dialed tricks at the beginning. Save your 50/50 trick till the end of your first pass (if you fall its ok, you still have your second pass. if you land, sweet!). For your second pass, do some different tricks that you are comfortable with. Save your 2 hardest tricks for the last part of your second pass.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Oh...forgot to mention my TS is very weak. If I get out riding before saturday, that's what I'm gonna work on...
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
that would be a very good idea. judges are looking for variety, they dont like an all hs pass or an all ts pass, you have to mix it up.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-19-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
first of all, i agree with leo for sure...you would win just about any ametuer (sp?) womens' division in south-central US with that w2w air....very nice! but i noticed all your pics are hs...and joe assumed (unless he knows you) that your ts is as strong as your hs. if it's not...don't let that stop you...just go out and have fun...even if you have to one wake your ts. and you probably don't need to get in a hurry to throw all your good stuff up front. you may want to take an easy w2w just to get used to the boat as it may not be the boat you typically ride behind. also, i tend to start a little slower and let my pass build up...rather than come out with a big trick up front and then not have anything left for the end. finally, you definitely need to have a plan, but don't get stressed if you miss one...or if you fall....just remember what you have landed and try not to repeat. i think that's the key after a fall...don't repeat a landed trick. oh...and have fun!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
What is that on your arm in those pics? Are you rockin a mp3 while you are riding?
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2007, 12:39 AM Reply   
Yep I've got a waterproof ipod shuffle in. It's freakin amazing I love that thing!

Thanks for all your help guys. Its really gonna help me a bunch. I really really hope I can get in a ride before saturday. It's been about a week or longer since I have rode.

Since my toe side isn't very strong and I haven't actually cleared the wake TS, what do you guys suggest I do for that? Just go for it or...I really don't know. I know I don't want to go HS everytime and then just cut back over to do it again. Any surface things or small yet stylish things to do to cover the fact that I need to learn my toe side before the next comp...

Thanks!

Jamie
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
do 1-wake ts jumps. try to get a grab in if you can. it's better than just crossing the wake to do another hs trick. try a lipslide to 180, then do 1-wake halfcab. try 1-wake ts180. try anything you can on your ts on your next ride, then you'll have an idea of what you need to do on saturday.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2007, 1:21 AM Reply   
an equal amount of small toeside stuff and alright heelside stuff is better than a bunch of huge heelside stuff.

but it looks like you have the huge heelside stuff down haha
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-20-2007, 3:53 AM Reply   
Sounds like you'll be competing in intermediate. Don't be afraid to repeat tricks in your return pass. Most leagues will not penalize you for this. For example in INT, you could do the same pass up and back with no penalty, except maybe losing a few style points. It is better to repeat your solid tricks (not in the same pass) and stand up your run, than to throw in sketchy tricks and fall. If you want to do your harder tricks that maybe aren't as solid, do them at the end of a pass, so if you fall, you don't waste half of the course getting back up. DON'T SCOOCH. i.e. do toeside tricks even if you have to do them 1 wake.
Go thru your run mentally and have it down.
Have fun!

(Message edited by deltawake on June 20, 2007)
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Jamie,

R U coming up for the Dukes of Hauser comp? If so I can fill you in on what we look for at our comps.

jjakober
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
J Jakober, yep thats exactly where I'm going. Never done a comp but had a friend do it last summer and she said it was awesome. The riding, riders, and just the environment in general.

But yea if you could give me a few tips on what your lookin for that would be awesome! And also some info bout it. All I know is the date and where it's at, not exactly, but in general.

Thanks!

Jamie
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see you ride. If you go as big as you are going in those pics you will do well.

Things we look for:

aggressive riding...looks like you have that covered
variation of tricks
use both sides of the wake
have fun!!!

You will get 4 minutes to ride and show us your stuff. Falls wont be counted but they eat into your riding time so less falls=more tricks so more points.

Do you have a crew coming up with you?

Hope to meet you and your crew.

Here is a link with info about the comp:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/464866.html?1182278130

Also check this site for info about our other events:
http://www.imgxsport.com

Have a safe trip,
Jason
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Thats awesome thanks!

I'm actually driving up there myself but I should have a couple friends driving down from Blackfoot, Idaho to watch me ride. I don't really have any friends interested in competiting or are that serious about wakebaording, besides my neighbor that has the boat but he won't be able to make it unfortunately. Sucks, but thats how it is. I need someone down here that knows what they are doing and can help my riding.

But yea, anyway I'll be there cause I already got the day off. You'll probably be the only one there wearing a boot on my leg...lol

See ya there! Anyone else from WW gonna be there??

Jamie
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
Uh Oh!

If you're gonna ride like Jakober you better invest in a couple of knee braces.I don't think he's seen the other side of a wake's transition in years.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Cliff...

My back and knees let me know the next day every time!!!

jjakober
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 1:37 AM Reply   
AND JAMIE DON"T FORGET TO HAVE FUN
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
How bout mixin a nuclear grab in there? that'd be pretty sweet
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-21-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
Yeah Jason - break out the Nuclear Tantrum!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-21-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Not that I'm good enough to compete but I heard someone say write your trick list on your arm so you don't get nervous and froget what you are doing next.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
The way I get nervous...I'd probably forget to look at my arm. Or use non-permanemt marker..lol

Which one is the nuclear grab??

I think I'm going out friday to work on my TS and grabs so hopefully I'll get those down a little better.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
Jamie,

Good idea, also work on your switch heelside. If you use both sides of the wake you will be in good shape, if it's toeside or sw-heelside.

I wouldn't worry about a set trick run, just go big and have fun.

I assume you are going to ride in the Ladies division?

jjakober
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
the nuke's w/ ur back hand grabbin the heelside edge of the board ahead of ur front food. takes a lil stretchin', does for me anyway haha
Old     (m1tanker)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
uhhh wow jamie u can def. boost it. WE NEED some girls like u in the south
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
Well looks like I'm goin out tomorrow morning at 6:30 to get a run or two in. This is what I'm working on..

TS W2W
switch halfcab
Pokin out my grabs
consistent on the things I can already do.

Havent riden in a few weeks, doctors orders, but this is an emergency. I gotta get a run in before the comp. Jjakober do we get a warm-up run??
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 11:03 PM Reply   
Well looks like I'm goin out tomorrow morning at 6:30 to get a run or two in. This is what I'm working on..

TS W2W
switch halfcab
Pokin out my grabs
consistent on the things I can already do.

Havent riden in a few weeks, doctors orders, but this is an emergency. I gotta get a run in before the comp. Jjakober do we get a warm-up run??
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Jamie,

Sorry, no warm up.....

How did your set go today?

jjakober
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
It went alright. I face planted hardcore working on my TS so I was kind of hesitant the rest of the morning but I took a long set...My hands hurt after that! But It'll be worth it if I get a good run in tomorrow. I have trouble grabing the board. I'm bending down instead of bringing the board to me and I get off balance. So hopefully everything goes good tomorrow! I'm leavin the tri-cities about 6 so should be there around 830. Just me and a friend. Hope to see you there. Remember.. I'm in the boot! lol

Thanks for all your guy's help!
I'll post pics and let you know how I do tomorrow.

Jamie
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
good luck Jamie.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Thanks Ron!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
Well...kind of embarassing to say what happened today at the comp. I was the last of 6 girls to ride which is what I wanted so that I could see what everyone else was throwing. The water had some wind chop and wasn't the best but not too bad. The wake was way bigger than I'm used to and tried to go too big too quick. My first HS jump I was thinking..."When the hell am I gonna come down!" But I thought I had it after that, but aparently not. I cut in harder than I usually do actually, trying to impress the judges and pull off a huge shifty. But I got off balance up in the air and landed on the back of my head once I caught an edge when I landed. Then...my time was out so I was done. Needless to say I was pretty dissapointed with the way I rode. This is going to sound bad, but I think I could have taken that comp. if I would have slowed down a little, wasn't so freakin nervous, and uh...landed a W2W jump. But the comp was awesome, I had a ton of fun watching other riders and just being there. It was very well organized and am planning on doing the rest of the series and hopefully work my way back to the top. Maybe practice on a bigger wake occasionally so those Mobius's don't surprise me so much next time!

Don't get me wrong I had a TON of fun, but this is how I felt after i fell the second time...
Upload

Thanks for all your help Jason! I'll be back to prove myself!! :-)
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-23-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
..."When the hell am I gonna come down!"

I've been there before!
Jamie, always spend the first pass throwing grabs to get used to the wake...
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-23-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
dang...at least you did your best you go bigger than alot of guys i know!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-24-2007, 5:41 AM Reply   
I'm impressed you went to the comp and participated. I've wanted to, but felt like I wasn't good enough to really compete, so figured its a waste of mine/everyone else's time. So I got a good camera and sit in the towboat and take pics of everyone else. Way to get out there and put yourself in a situation that forces you to grow. I'm sure you'll be more confident next time.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Jamie,

You have nothing to be embarrassed about. It was your first comp. You went out there and went for it, broken foot and all!! Everyone was talking about how much bigger you went then the other girls. Now just get that toeside or switch heelside down so you can flow from jump to jump and you will be ready. The stand out tricks for the girl who won were a heelside w2w 180 and a toeside w2w jump. Other then that all the rest of the tricks were pretty much the same for the girls. Except for the fact that you went huge compared to them!!

See you in IONE!?!?

Jason
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Jason,

Yea I plan on coming up to Ione to compete again. Now that I know exactly what to work on and the skills of the girls I'll be competing with, I shouldn't be so nervous. HS W2W 180's are my specialty so I'll be sure to throw that. :-)

I can't wait to get back in there and ride. Especially at the next comp. Hopefully my foot will be fully healed by then and the headach I still have from yesterday, will be gone too!!!

Are the same people that put this comp on, going to run all the rest of them?

Jamie
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
Oh and the wake was a Supra's wake...oops sorry. It was still huge compared to what I ride behind. Or maybe I was just seeeing stuff...
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
Jamie,

Yep, it's the same crew.

Good to here you are coming to IONE.

Jason
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-25-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
Jamie,

I think we have all had the oh Sh!! when am I going to land experience. Sounds like you got the first one out of the way and it will be easy from now on. Don't give up?

Ron
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-25-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
at least your gear looks tight son uugghhnnn!!!!
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-25-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Moomba... Supra... Same thing.. Great job both of you. JJ you killed like always, and Jamie i did feel that you went bigger then the others. Great to see that First did go to a girl with a New 2007 Malibu. ;o)
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Jamie-

Everybody who competes has had the ocassional bad run every now and again. (especially at the beginning of a season). Also, if you are riding behind a smaller wake regularly- the tournament wake will be uncomfortable at first. Just remember your out to have fun- and your riding will adjust to just that no matter what wake size your on.

NO matter what- you effort has out-shined probably every rider at the tournament (riding - let alone competing w/ a broken leg). That right there shows your love for the sport.

Good luck this year - and remember to always have fun.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
Buguru,

I wouldn't say I killed it, but I would have liked to kill someone after that pull

Oh well, maybe next time!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot for your support guys. Now I know I just need to get out there w/ some people that know waaay more about the sport and riding than I do, get some help and improve my overall riding for next time.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
It's to bad that you don't live up here. We have a small crew and get out at least 3 times a week behind an 07 SAN...and not to toot my own horn, but the current Mens I Nationals champion AJ Haynes was one of the first people I ever gave lessons to way back when he was in the 8'th grade. Way to go AJ!!
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-25-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
And i am proud to say that he rides behind a W/S 247 Bu....
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
I know I wish I had a group of peope down here that gets together like that every week. I met some people up at Hauser that lives in the same apartment complex I do, and we were all down at the hot tub one night and had no idea who each other was. And the guy that I bought my bindings from at Sporthaus knows them too. And the guy that was with them was dating my friend that wakeboards...OK I didn't even follow that, but anyway I'm hoping to get to ride with them one of these days and improve my riding.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-25-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
If you ever come to NorCal you have a spot on my boat...all chicks that rip are welcome! I rarely see girls that can even do one wake jumps let alone W2W, not saying they cant or don't, just that it seems to be a rarity.....and I just had that same feeling of "Am I ever going to come down" after hitting a monster D-up this weekend, I had been hitting them without ballast in the boat the last month or so and then I filled up the tanks on Sunday, HUGE difference!
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-25-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Jamie,

It's pretty cool of you to share your experiences with all of us. Keep us posted on your progress. I wish you the best of luck in your next comp.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2007, 2:12 AM Reply   
Thanks again guys I really appreciate it!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
Dang Barrett that's a sick set- up you got there! My neighbors got the white chevy w/ the black white and grey centurion boat. Both look absolutely amazing!
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for the words Jamie, stay cool.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2007, 11:32 PM Reply   
Hey Jamie, we go out 3-5 times a week and we have room. We ride behind a '07 Bu LSV mostly. Let me know if you're interested in a pull.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2007, 11:49 PM Reply   
Heck yes! Just PM'd you back. Oh that would be freakin amazing...Malibu's are my all time fav. boat.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-27-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
For some reason, I never got your pm. Just give me a call and we'll figure it out. Not sure if we'll have room today. I should know around 2:30 or so.