Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-21-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
So I am trying some off-axis stuff now. been reluctant b/c no ones here does them to help me out.

What is your guys best advise on starting these(heelside)?

wake approach and take off.
Is blind or normal easier.
Handle pass or over the head.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
I'm kinda in the same spot. I can take mine off a little, but am looking to boot it way off in the near future. We were talking about it last night. I'd go heelside frontside with a handlepass for your first off three. On the wake approach try riding a little heavy on your back foot and take a slight shorter approach (more like a backroll cut). A bit more of a progressive edge than usual. The key to getting off axis is to push the handle down when you take off from the wake. Ride up through the top of the wake and push down on the handle and your feet will come right up.

Good luck with it. It feels really cool when you get it right.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-21-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
everything evan said is right on. the only other thing that might help you out is when you take off the lip hold your back hand and handle in close and throw your front arm up and around you to the small of your back to grab the handle.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-21-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
hs off 3 is pretty easy actually. I use a short but fast approach. Backfoot heavy like Evan says. When I leave the wake I push up off my back foot, and try to push the handle down into the back of my rear leg. this seems to pull you off axis nicely. Pulling the handle to the same spot every time you try it will take some of the fear out of it, it will be more predictable if you do it the same. Keep the handle in as you go off axis, so its easy to grab. This one wants to come around 540 automatically so dont be suprised if you land the first few as 5s.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/319637.html?1180907643

There is a ton of info in this thread about the trick

Good luck
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
In my opinon some of the info here is a bit off. the biggest thing that will determine your success will be your approach edge and release. The rest of the trick is a result of how well you executed the first part. Evan mentioned useing a progressive edge that resembles a backroll. This will certainlt do the trick to get you off axis but your handle pass will be very difficult. the reason it will be hard is because there will be a ton of line tension. In recent years i have noticed a lot of people talking about the progressive edge and have seen it being recommended in the wrong circumstances a bunch of times. the goal of a progressive edge is to build line tension for load and release type tricks. if you turn in to the wake for a OA 3 and continue to build momentum as a proper progressive edge requires you will pop well and the load and release element of the edge will push the board behind you but the tension will pull the handle away from your hips and you wont make the pass without a whole bunch of strength. You will also note that if you do have to fight to pull the rope back into reach of your second hand you will stall the spin and land heels first in the water. not fun. so what i personally do, and reccomend, perhaps im bais, regardless, i will use the same approach edge i use for a flat spin 3. take it out a bit but not altra far. get the transition over fairly quick and come in with a knees bent approach and consitant edge, not proressive. be sure not to confuse a consistant edge strength with flattening off, you want to remain on edge but not continuously increaseing it as you move towards the wake. get on edge and hold it. this will keep the line tension minimal enough to make the pass. now where this trick does resemble a backroll is your release. as you are riding up the wake have a rear foot heavy approach and edge up and behind you when you hit the wake. what this does is turn the very last 5% of your edge into a bit of a load and release edge, but because it was done in such a short period it will not have the same line tension that a normal progressive edge has. this will release the board behind you into a nice corked position. be sure to give a strong pull when you are releasing off the wake into your rear hip with BOTH HANDS. Keep both hands on the rope pulling into your hip as long as you can. this will also help with not lettin the rope get too far from the small of your back to reach the handle pass. if you do all of this well, once you get the handle pass you are basically home free. the momentum and handle will unwind the rest of the spin and striaghten you up. if you dont edge to aggressivly up and out behind you off the wak you wont have to worry about going 5. not to mention a little handle control after the handle pass will control the overspin. this has been a lengthy post and i dont pretend to know it all and dont mean to undermind others' advice but this is what i have had success with coaching and personally. cheers
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
Sa - weet, I'm on it tomorrow! Thanks gents
Old    alanp            06-21-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
thanks josh. im gonna post that on my thread in the trick tips
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 11:31 PM Reply   
Josh, great post. I have been trying to explain that edge but it probably came out wrong. That's how I learned them as well.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yeah.... that's essentially the point I was trying to convey. What you are describing is something of a progressive edge, but without building a ton of line tension.

Regardless, I think the two keys to the trick are that last little edge up the wake (backroll style) and keeping the handle down and in tight to your body.

Thanks for the input.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
Much thanks to everyone!

No one around my neck of the woods are doing off-axis, so this has really given me an insight. NOW I can really run the trick through in my head- most important.

Headed out tomorrow to give it some tries- I'll keep you posted. THIS will be great for my tournament on Sunday! (last trick of course)
Old     (jon_roth)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-23-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Hit the wake 10" back from your normal line for a three, get ready to get pulled off axis, do your handle pass, stick it .
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-23-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
I pussed out, Played it in my mind for two days straight.

Got out to the lake today..Lake trashed to say the least and chop to go with it.
Doing about 22mph on a 65' line w/ 500-600 in the rear. The wake kept disappearing from the tuber driver's powerturns.

How do I overcome the fear of throtteling myself?
I've been doing all the raley based tricks for years but can't seem to sack it up for the pumbleage that I'll face learning this off axis trick at 29 yrs of age.

It's a sad sad world I live in...

(Message edited by zuka666 on June 23, 2007)
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Going out today- water conditions horrible past few days.(Oh yeah- did I forget to mention weighting is illegal on my lake). So you can imagine how much harder pulling tricks off is under limited wake size.

But hey- true riders can sack it up under any size wake (not the arrow - always the Indian).

good luck to all trying this trick!
R-