Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-18-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
My thought for the day on this topic

"We should all treat our relationships with the same passion and care as we do our wakeboarding, if we do we'll have alot less headaches and alot more care"
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-18-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
Yep, ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-18-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
very good comment stephan... i live by that.... lol that cracks me up
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2006, 1:11 AM Reply   
Lube em up to get in a tight fits best.
Old     (raddad)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-19-2006, 2:05 AM Reply   
but we ALLways need to go out and get this years models..
hahahahaha
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
I think he is comparing relationships to the passion of RIDING and not the EQUIPMENT for Riding. Good jokes however guys, love'm. But as for the deeper thought posed by Jeffrey, i would have to totally agree, especially when it comes to those moments when your in the water with your best friend giving him/ her personal instruction on wakeboarding, or from the boat, cheering them on and remembering all the feelings you had as you did your first wake jump or first......... as they too do it and remenising in all that is wakeboarding (minus the treatment of the gear, though it is a NECISSARY PART OF LIFE, as trials are too.)

Been wakeboarding for about 10 years or less and still loving it

Been married a little more than 6 months and still loving her (Charity, my wife)
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-19-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Got my new board and loving it, wife okay too.
Funny stuff Big Heavy, funny stuff
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Deep Thoughts by Jeremy Byrom...
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-19-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Jeremy that's exactly where I was going. Although I do apprechiate the humor that's rolled up in this thread!

A bad day on the lake is better than a good day at work, apply that to our relationships and we can look forward to the bad days with much of the enjoyment of the good days.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-20-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Uhhh.... The ability for me to take out my frustration on my board is what allows me to stay married.

Is that what you're talking about?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-20-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHA Nicely put Evan. There's that as well.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-20-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
The thing is... wakeboarding doesnt speak OR have PMS. true story.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-21-2006, 5:17 AM Reply   
I don't know about that John, haven't you ever flipped out over a really bad set?
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-22-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is far more rewarding than women. Always remember that. Women are a dime a dozen, wakeboarding is forever...

(Message edited by kevin_garduno on November 22, 2006)
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-23-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
I'd like to think I can find a woman that's forever, and when my body decides it's too beat up to get out and ride, she'll be there to help me out of bed in the mornings.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-24-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
i guess you'll be blind anyway, so it really won't matter
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-27-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
Does anyone have problems with wife/girlfriend not supporting wakeboarding? Do you get into arguments? Do they put it down and write it off as immature? My girlfriend can not understand my passion for the sport. I often think she is jealous and she will basically have nothing to do with it.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-27-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Duffy, does she go out on the boat with you, or just stay behind and do something else?

I think it's important to find a girl with similar interests as you. Girlfriends can always be replaced!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-27-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
*** But not so similar that you're dating the same person as yourself!!

Understand that if you are always talking about wakeboarding, watching videos, talking on forums, and wanting to go out on the boat you're going to burn her out unless she's EXTREMELY hardcore. A relationship requires serious dedication, and your fervor for the sport might make it look like you aren't being serious.

It can be immature if it takes priority over more important things in your life... to her, it may look like you are putting things on hold for wakeboarding and she sees that as weak and immature.

She probably is hurt/jealous because your passion for wakeboarding seems greater than your passion for her... If your passion for wakeboarding IS greater, it's probably time to check your priorities or get a new girlfriend. If your passion for her is greater, you need to work hard to show her that. I know it sucks to cut back on wakeboarding, but sometimes it's necessary. Life is all about balance, right??

So key to relationship is communication and compromise... you need to figure out what is required to strike a happy balance and, once you have figured that out, if you are willing to make the changes necessary. Maybe she goes. Maybe you cut back on your wakeboarding. There is always a solution.

You may already know everything I just said, I just wanted to open up and let people know how I have approached my issues in the same department (girlfriend -vs- wakeboarding/a passion).
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-28-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Wow! I'm impressed by your view on the subject.
You must have some experience in this matter.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head. Good advise, anodyne!
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       11-28-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
What Anodyne is saying in 6 words......

She doesn't like being 2nd best...
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-30-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
unless she's hardcore she isnt coming....wakeboarding is a lifestyle IMHO
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Me and my boyf both Love wakeboarding... so thats never been a problem, ever since he taught me how to wakeboard we've been riding together as much as we can... and we both know that wakeboarding is above everything except each other
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
I have a new, great relationship with every new, great woman I bring out on my boat.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-30-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
This works for me:

Went wakeboarding on Friday from 1 to 5.

Got home at 6 and jumped in the shower.

Got to my girlfriend's house at 7 and gave her 2 dozen roses.

Went to see a musical at 7:30.

I haven't ever heard her complain about wakeboarding.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-01-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
lovin the funny side of this thread, but not so keen on the emotional stuff, i agree, its great to have a gal who loves to ride....

anyway, if you could trade in your gal the minute she gets cracks, scratches, delams, colour fade, it looses its stiffness......you would never wakeboard!

keep the funny stuff comin, don't get emotional (save that for when the gal next has a dig at you cause you're always riding that other thing
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
How about wakeboarding and the work relationship? All I can think about is getting back on my boat and my board. The job pays the bills, but damn its like a crappy relationship! How many of you you have put up with a crappy relationship for some type of reward? Example:
Girlfriend at the time nagging about some ridicuous topic that you barely care about - all the while you are drifting off thinking about her friend...
Weird Deja Vu twist:
Sitting in a boring meeting listening to some old farts drone on and on about how good they are at their jobs - all the while you are dreaming about getting on that boat and just living the life - and then they ask you a question.
Same reply in both instances:
huh? pardon me, I wasnt paying attention...
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-01-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
WANTED:A girlfriend who likes to ride...year round, snowboard, play poker. One who is intelligent, funny, sexy and likes to ride. A girl with an opinion, a concept of religion, politics and morals... oh, and did I mention ONE WHO LIKES TO RIDE!!!!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       12-01-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Just marry some girl. Sell you board and boat and become a Celine Dion groupie, traveling the country staying in Bed and Breakfasts while spending every moment of your life either shopping or serving the wonams every need. That is what marrige is all about.

Wakeboarding is overrated anyways.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-01-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Nice Chuck!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-01-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
i'd love to have a b/f who rides. i just want him to have his own crew. that way we can ride together when we want, but WHEN we break up, we don't have to fight over my crew - LOL!
Old    walt            12-01-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Way to think ahead Kylie.