Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
I just found these cracks on the back of a Tige 21V I've been thinking of buying. I have another thread going discussing the boat...but basically we agreed on a price of 26k as long as everything checked out during todays test, but today when I went to test the boat out I noticed this on the back of the boat. He said estimates to fix it are between $500-$600. He also said it's only cosmetic. Does it look like an issue to you guys? He's a little miffed and said that I looked directly at it the other day...but what I was looking at was the prop and rudder...oh well. He'd like to know where the deal stands...probably because winter is coming quick and it's time to either winterize or sell the thing. I'd probably be okay with splitting the $600 and fixing it down the road (then I'll know it's done right).

He said that he thinks it happened when he backed the swim deck into a 4x4. I don't see any damage on the swim deck...so.

Upload
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
If I were him I would have spent the 500 - 600 to fix it and not have to deal with the concern . If I were you I would be real careful about the boat and if you can find out how it happened. That is a very odd place to have spider cracks. Good luck.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
He had an appointment to fix it this week, but I came along early I guess. I don't know if I can figure out what really happened as he said that is the only thing he can remember doing.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-17-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
It does not look bad and cost of repair sounds close. I would look under the boat at the entire hull and look for similar cracks. I would negotiate a new price less cost of repairs. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
It isn't rare to see older boats with cracks, just make sure you look it over very carefully.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
So, does it seem like it's just a cosmetic only in the gel coat kind of crack? What do you think the chances are that it's structural? I've considered just saying that I'd want the boat for 26k with it fixed and ask him to knock the cost of the repair off. I considered meeting him half way since we've gone this far in the buying process.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-17-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
From the pic it looks like just gelcoat cracks. That sounds fair for him to discount the boat for 1/2 the amount of repair cost.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
Does anyone think I can get it repaired for $300 if I found someone to do it on the side...Don't fiberglass tub repair people do gelcoat repair? Seems like the last repair on a hammer dent cost me $100
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-18-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
I'd say make him discount the price the full $600 amount. You agreed on a price "if everything checks out". Well, it doesn't look like it checked out to me. Now it would be different if he had pointed the cracks out to you. You don't owe the seller anything for looking at and testing his boat. That is just part of selling something. Remember, it is a buyer's market right now.

My 2 cents,
Jman

PS: I am pretty sure that the jet boat that I owned for over 15 years had these same kind of cracks. They were just on the surface.

(Message edited by Jmanolinsky on September 18, 2006)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-18-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
I posted on your other thread, but I agree on the seller repairing it presale or knocking the full repair cost off the price. You don't owe him anything (to justify splitting the cost). It does not matter if you "looked right at it" or not if he did not point it out before you talked price.

This isn't the best time of the year to be selling anyway, and he's lucky to have someone interested in it that can afford it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-18-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
I agree that it's not a structural issue. I have small spider cracks on an 04. But I would ask the seller to either pay for the repairs or knock the cost off the price. Your under no legal obligation to purchase the boat from the seller. Remember it's business, nothing personal.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-18-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
He said he'd sell the boat for 25,500. He wants to get the deal done =)... Yea, I think he sees that this is probably his last chance to sell the boat...
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-18-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Stay away, Gel coat cracks could mean that the boat was heavily weighted down, you could have some major problems down the line.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-18-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
I would think that would be one of the last areas to get stress cracks from weight abuse, though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
"Stay away, Gel coat cracks could mean that the boat was heavily weighted down, you could have some major problems down the line."

A "heavily weighted down" wakeboard boat? No way!

Not necessarily. And not judging by the location of those cracks.

I admitt those are suspicious, but I doubt running a lot of weight; too much weight; would cause cracks there.

I had gel coat cracks before I ever launched my new boat.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-18-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
It looks to me that those cracks probably did come from that spot banging into something, but it looks like there is not any structural defect. I highly doubt it was from abuse (other than banging the boat under the swim deck). If it were my boat, I am not sure that I would fix it, but keep a close eye on it for them growing (which they probably won't).
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-18-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
For older boats thats a very common place for those types of cracks. Not that big of deal. If it were me I won't get it fixed either just watch it. You shouldn't have a problem with those there.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-19-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Looks like it might be under the platform? If you don't leave the boat in the water I wouldn't worry about it too much, just leave it alone and enjoy the last part of the season.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-19-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
I dont see any reason to worry about that, most of all if the boat will sleep on a trailer most of the time.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
doesn't Tige provide lifetime warranty of the hull? does it transfer?

definitely get the repair discount, then watch it to see if it needs repair. It may end up being something cosmetic that you don't care about once you start enjoying the boat.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-23-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Only on the newer boats and it's only transferable once.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-23-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
So, I bought the boat. We went out today for the first time and froze our asses off. I didn't get to wakeboard but did get to air chair. The wake was nice. It seemed like if the boat had one person more on the left or right, that side of the wake was clean but the other wasn't. My buddy's girlfriend tried to wakeboard. She tried going over the wake and ate it. When she came in, she said that the wake was scary enormous. =)

I really love the boat. Lots of room, nice size wake (more than I need for now). I love perfect pass.

Most of all, I loved being out on the water. We saw 4 boats today as most everyone has winterized their boats (getting down to 28 during the nights).

-Daniel
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-24-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Glad to see you got it! How about some pics!!!! If you add weight to the side that is washed out it will usually clean it up. If you have extra people in the boat have them move around to different areas to clean up the wake.