Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-20-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone has been to this lake and how the water is for wakeboarding. It looks nice in pictures but wanted some opinions...Thanks!
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-20-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
I cannot actually say I have boarded there but I have been there quite a few times and to say they are strict is an understatement. If you don't live on the water I hear it is hard to get on the lake. The restraunt right at thr ramp is awsome though.
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-20-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Ive ben there early morning riding tubing water by noon but it depends on the time of year. I went early spring not to bad
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-20-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
I'm 44, and have gone to Bass Lake since I was 9. When I met my wife at 15, we started coming here together as well. We've since taken our kids here while they were growing up, and now we take our grand-kids.

I've missed maybe 5 years in the last 31 years.

Anyway, riding during the summer months is a disaster. The swells and chop are worse than being in the open sea.

The lake requires a special "Madera County" boat registration and inspection, costing $65. Also, there are 2 sheriff boats on patrol, and they are very strict about the counter-clockwise traffic, but mostly harrass jet-skiers because they cut-off boats. There are 3 rental business there, and the lake is full of 1st time wally's.

There is a lake restriction that does not allow any boat planing until 8:00am, and no later than dusk (around 8pm in August, but sooner as the summer wanes).

At 8:00am every morning, you'll hear all the boats take off pulling skiers and a few boarders.

This is a lake that TIME forgot, because you will see a ton of old jet boats, some pontoons and run-abouts. People still ride skurfer's, knee boards, and double skis.

The serious WB boats are few, and mostly rentals from Miller's and the Pines (resort/marina's).

The reason we keep going back is because of tradition. We camp there 10 days a year, in August. We are up at 6:30 to make the lake by 8:00am, and we all take turns for first ride.

After 9:30, it's too rough for even tubing, so its beach and beer time.

It is a fun place for hanging out. Miller's Landing (by the dam) is where we camp. Has a store/diner that's very busy, and nice cabins if your not a camper. On the other side of the lake is the Pines resort. Rather pricy, but plenty of things there. A couple of bars, restaurants, pizza, etc.

Did you ever see a movie called "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Akroyd? The whole thing was filmed on this lake.

It's also just 15 miles from the south entrance to Yosemite, and so we take day trips there for hikes, etc.

The word from the guys who work at the marina is that after Labor Day, the place empties out, and the locals reclaim the waters. Although we've never witnessed it, they say the riding is good off-season.

Here's a few misc pics.

Upload
Camping is pretty good. Flush bathrooms with sinks.

Upload
Our tent. It's 20 yrs old, made of canvas, and includes wall-to-wall carpeting, ceiling fan, heating, nightstands and lamps. You can stand up anywhere inside.

Upload
The water may look tame, but its an illusion. These swells are typical during the day. The sheriff tower is in this picture.

Upload
Me and my grand-daughter, over at the pines for pizza.

Upload
The Marina at Miller's Landing. The store/cafe is at the end of the dock, and you can even boat up, dock and have lunch.

Dave

(Message edited by awf_axis on September 20, 2006)
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Dave nailed it down, what more can you say!!! I go there every Oct. 1st for a cycling rally, 100 miles into the mountains and back. We always camp and there are never any boats on the water then. Post Labor Day is where its at, if you don't mind the $65 inspection and being watched closely since your the only boat on the lake then! Great place to visit and boat just to say you did it. But better placees to board are in the area.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Real Choppy, been there for a couple of days and there are alot of people that send rollers down the lake!
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-22-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info--thatjust wondering about the better places to board int he area--any reco's? Thanks!