Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
I'm looking to spend under 30k for a V drive wakeboarding boat. I'm an entry level rider. There is a 2001 Tige nearby that I can get for 26k even. It's got perfect pass pro, depth finder, heater, bimini, bow cover, full boat cover, sirius, decent stereo, two batteries, hot shower, extra prop, taps, EFI mercruiser. The interior is a little dirty with about 5 small nicks. 360 hours, the owner purchased the boat in 01 with 25 hours. They've just upgraded to an X-Star.

The other boat is a 2004 moomba with heater, shower, 3 bag ballast, wake plate, nice stereo, depth finder, no perfect pass, 170 hours, owner says in very good condition and the pictures agree. I can get this for 28,000.

Does anyone have comments about what seems like the better direction. I know I'm opening up a can of worms, but I don't know anything about either of these boats.

-Daniel
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
definately go with the moomba, it has 'taps' too, but two hydralics (sp?) instead of one
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-12-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Yikes. Sometimes i wish there was a license of some sort- one that you need to obtain before you can post. Offering advice like "definitely the moomba because it has two hydraulic rams" instead of one is crazy. Why not offer this poster information about the two boats, and if you really dont have any (info) why not save that post for one that you are knowledgeable on.

This may be helpful advice, take a look (in person) of the two boats, definitely DRIVE them, and pay the extra $$$ to have a pre-purchase inspection on the one you want to buy.

(AND FYI- i believe that year Tige did have 2 rams on the plate, not that it matters.)
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
I'm leaning towards the moomba. Lower hours, cleaner, in my opinion a better looking boat. I've never heard a moomba owner complain about their boats, but then again I've never heard a tige owner complain of theirs. From what I can gather the tige was a more expensive boat new than the moomba, maybe a higher class boat?

I'd appreciate any input.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-12-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
I have an 03' tige with 450 hours on it. The wake is nice especially with 2000 pounds. If you are buying a boat because it has TAPS, well woooooo hoooooo. I don't use it, don't like it and if mine broke well who cares. I however do like the Tige(personal opinion) and am satisfied with it.

Now Moomba on the other hand. This is my opinion of the boat I rode in. Buddy in Cali bought a new Mobius. The boat didn't feel roomy, the wake was not big, not even with an extra 1000 pounds of sacs. Personally I am not a fan of it. That's just me and well my next boat will not be a tige either but will be a Wakesetter.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
This tige doesn't have a ballast system. When I was reading about it, it said that this boat throws a big wake without a ballast. I wonder how the Moomba w/ 3 bag ballast compares to the tige. The other thing I noticed is that the tige is wider and longer than the moomba. The tige is 102 inches wide and the moomba is closer to 95 I think.

-Daniel
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2006, 12:05 AM Reply   
I would chose the tige. We've got the exact same boat. With about 300 to 350 lbs in the skilocker and 400 to 500 lbs on each side in the rear, less when more peoble are in the boat, this boat throws a really good wake.
Only downside the vinyl isn't the best and is thorn pretty fast. For the rest we got over 1500 hrs on it and it's still running strong.

I had only one experience with an older moomba. I didn't like the wake at all. But can't say to much about the newer models.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
Is 360 hours a lot on an 01?

-daniel
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-13-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
360 is nothing on an 01. That's coming up on 7 years old. ~100 hrs/ year is high average. 360 is less than 52 hrs/ year (Low average). Actually, that may be too few. I would have the motor looked at.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
I owned an 03 LSV and have been in '01 Tiges up to the present '06. I now own an '06 22V.

The LSV is a good reliable boat, but freeboard is low, and doesn't handle chop nearly as well. IMO the Tige has much more potential because it's physically a much larger boat. Perfect Pass is a must on both of these, so you're looking at an extra $1200 to add it to the Moomba. As an entry level boarder you don't need ballast, but you'll want it down the road. (Surfing will quickly become one of your past times if the water gets too rough to board, and you'll need some extra weight to accomplish this).

Here's what I am using in mine
http://www.rivalindustries.com/Download%20brochure.htm

or you can add steel shot

www.pop-products.com

If you test drive both of them you will definately notice a difference in the two. To me, the LSV handled more like a Direct Drive.

Take a magic eraser with you and rub it on the Tige vinyl and see if it cleans up. If it does, leave it with the owner and tell him to get to work if he wants to sell it :-)

Good luck
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
One thing I noticed with the tige vinyl was that the drivers seat vinyl seemed clammy and rubbery versus normal vinyl I'm used to. I couldn't understand how it felt rubbery.

So you think the tige has more potential then?
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
It sounds like as a beginner (friend is beginner to intermediate) that we'd be happy with either boat.

If I purchased this tige for 26k, does it seem like I'd lose my ass if I decided to sell it at the begining of 2008 wake boarding season? It's a good looking boat, yellow and white.

When I'm looking at boats I'm also looking at resale since I'll probably keep a boat 2-3 years.

I don't mind spending some time cleaning the boat and saving some money...
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Here's a buddy of mine surfing his 21V wake... you decideUpload
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-13-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
You won't lose your ass. Depreciation has already happened. If you make improvements to the boat (Perfect Pass, stereo... ect) you may even get more than you paid.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Luck275, how does your buddy like his boat? How is it to wakeboard behind and how much ballast do you use? What kind of riders are you? Have you driven his boat and do you like it?

Thanks,
daniel
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I've ridden behind that boat since it was new. Another friend owned it B4 that. The wake is good, the guys we ride with are anywhere from intermediate to advanced riders. Don't quote me on this, but I think that boat has 2 x 450s in the rear and 500 up front. Yes I like the boat, as of now I own a '06 22v which was the replacement for the 21v.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
The current set up is 2-350s in the rear and
300 in lead up front. I have ben too cheap to get the bow sac and have it wired into my ballast system. That surf pic was the left rear filled and four or so people in the boat. Definately a good day.
The wakeboarding wake is nice. I have actually gotten so spoiled to the steepness of it that it is hard to switch to other boats sometimes. With all ballast filled and four people on board, about 23 mph is nice to keep it from curling over, taps on 5 or 6. With 5 people, speed around 21 and Taps at 4-5 the wake is pretty good without ballast for starters.

Overall, I love the boat. The only weakness was the 2001 metcraft tower. It has some spots prone to cracking (check the H bar across the top if it has the factory tower). I had mine swapped to a 2005 Tige tower and could not be happier. I have considered a new boat simply to have a new boat, but so far can not justify the price increase when mine fulfills every need I have.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-14-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Its all up to you and how each boat is/was cared for. Its funny how people want you to choose there boat. Without seeing both boats and driving/riding behind them its useless. No 2 used boats are the same. People with tiges and people with moombas say theres are the better boat.

Point being check them both out and post us pictures of your new rig. Good luck.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
Our 2001 Tige 21v has over 1500 hrs by now. Only real downside is the vinyl has been torn on many places and the tower had some cracks that were welded. Otherwise just the usual parts replacement (Teleflex etc.) and maintenance.
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-15-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
Daniel,

I own a 2000 21V and have a buddy with an 04 Mobius, The wakes are pretty close to the same, the mobius might be a little bigger but with 2000 lbs of ballast the mobuis is a TANK on the water (no offense Kraig!) I run about 2000 lbs in my Tige' (350 each side rear, 350 each side front and about 300 lbs dead weight in the front) Alot of the people that I ride with (beginners, and semi-intermediate) are intimidated by the wake of the Tige'. It's a good rampy wake just shy of my knees. Most times when people wanna ride and have a DD or i/o I just tell them I will bring my boat. I love the wake of the Tige', and for handling choppy water I don't think the hull can be beat. Plus, the boat weights almost 4000 lbs empty. Take that into consideration before you buy, this boat needs a decent sized truck to tow it around (04 Ram 3500) You don't need a diesel to tow this boat but it sure helps. Just my 2 cents, take it as you will.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       09-15-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
Have an '00 21V limited with similar hours and bot from orig owner about 3 years ago. Have ridden behind most boats and never felt the need to buy up to another brand or newer model. Guest riders always have positive things to say about the wake. Keep in mind: that ppass, battery setup, bimini, etc. would cost you at least a couple grand to add on another boat and a tech can put a monitor on the EFI engine to confirm hours. One other thing: the 102" beam means tons of comfort but a wider wake at slower speeds(tougher w2w moves until you advance or speed it up above 21mph). Either choice is going to be a good looking boat you can feel good about for new and advanced riders. Good luck
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
I had the motor checked out for compression and whatnot. Things look good. The mechanic said the boat was in great shape.

I'm going to test drive the boat this weekend. Does anyone have advice on how to stay warm when it's 65 out? We have wetsuits and the boat heater. We were thinking of blankets and sweaters...but once you are wet, you are going probably stay cold until you are dry...

-Daniel
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-15-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
You'll be fine. Take towels, fleeces, and a blanket. Dry off as you pull the wetsuit off, and a fleece & dry shorts will probably be all you need. If you're still cold, pull the heater hose out & stick it under the blanket. You'll be sweating in about 1 min.

I'd personally go with the Tige over the Moomba between these two boats. The Tige just has a better feel to me, and I don't like the low seat bases & freeboard in that model Moomba. Looks like you're getting similar feedback here as on your Tige thread, so I don't have anything to add there.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-15-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Daniel, All things considered- if both boats are in good mechanical shape and you like the wake of both boats, I would get the Tige in a minute. I have been behind and in both boats and the Moomba will feel really small with 4 people and all of their stuff in it compared to the Tige. I have an 01 21V Tige and I take very good care of it, however, the rear vinyl seats did need to be recovered last year- I also drilled two additional drain holes in the bottom of the proboard and that has helped a TON to keep them from holding water and ultimately, stretching the seams to a breaking point. I have 400+ hours on my boat ( verified by ECM- the Pilot gauge that you may see on the 01 was a piece of crap and never kept good hours) and it runs very well. I have had to replace a starter relay ($ 40), impeller( $170-you need to do this on any boat), and a bolt on the tower that broke. Other than that- just general maintenance and it's been great. I also ripped the Pilot guage out and put Wakeboard Pro in. I have had a Lot of guys that are VERY good riders behind the boat and with a 350 sack in each locker next to the V-drive the wake is outstanding. the moomba I found to be very washy- especially under 22MPH, which is where a lot of beginners are riding. My tige has a great wake from 19.5 and up ( verified by GPS). For what it's worth... good luck.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Hmm...the hours thing scares me...how off would it be you think? Is it always under (shows 350 but is more like 500?) or is it sporatic? Who can check the ECM to verify hours?

-Daniel
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-15-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Any dealer can plug into the ECM and check hours very accurately. The Pilot gauge is a multi-function gauge that Tige used for a couple of years - has hours, speed, depth, water temp, etc on it and the hours were off by 100 (aprox) when I finally pulled it out. It's always a good idea to have this checked anyway when you're looking at a boat purchase.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-15-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Daniel, my friend has a 2001 Tige 21V RE and I absolutely love that wake. He sacks it out with about 2000lbs, and we put the taps at 4. One of my favorite wakes to ride.

I ridden on different Moomba's and the only one that I was satifised with was the XLV. I wasn't satisfied at all with the LSV, even with about 1500 lbs of ballast. Maybe there were some other circumstances, but we couldn't get a wake out of that boat no matter what we did.

200 hours difference is not much between engines and boats can always get cleaned up.

The Tige 21V gets my vote.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
will5150, was your pilot gauge showing 100 less than actual?

Thanks for everyone's input. I will have to say that it felt very roomy in the Tige. I'll report back after the weekend.

-Daniel}
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-15-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
200 hrs is nothing to kill a sale over anyway. Hours really aren't an issue until you're up around 2000 if maintenance has been kept up with.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-15-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yes it was reading 100 hours light- the wakeboard Pro also has an hours meter on it, and that's been dead on.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
He says that the pilot guage got replaced at around 80 hours and it's now reading about 180. But the perfect pass pro guage which was stock is reading 352.

-Daniel
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-16-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I'd trust the Perfect pass before anything the Pilot gauge said, but regardless, if you make an offer on the boat, I would make it conditional to an inspection by a qualified dealer. Have them do a "leak-down" test, check the V-drive fluid as well as the transmission, plug into the ECM and you'll get hours and then just check stuff like the heater coil to see if it's leaking. GOOD LUCK, I would bet it's in good shape if the hours are right- which they can't be that far off.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Update. I tested the boat today. Remember, I'm a beginner. I loved the wake and so did my buddy. He's ridden behind a newer mastercraft v drive (didn't know model), and he thinks the Tige has a nicer wake. The boat was roomy and seemed to handle okay (I'm used to driving a 96 Alpina ski boat).

One snag though. On my first look at the boat the owner of the boat told me that It had a few cosmetic things that he was going to fix, but since I was interested in the boat, he would sell it to me and I could clean the boat up. He didn't point anything out but mentioned a few issues with the vinyl and it being dirty. Today while looking at the back of the boat I noticed that there is a 4 inch diameter spider crack in the gel coat about 4 inches to the right of the right exhaust. I asked the owner about it and he said that he thinks it was from when he backed the swimdeck into a 4x4 post. I don't see any damage on the swimdeck. I'm posting a picture of what the rear looks like (it's not his boat but similar). If I had seen this before I would have wanted it fixed...or maybe I'm asking to much. Does it seem like something like this can be structural? He said that he was planning on getting it fixed and that it was going to cost him $600. He seemed sort of angry today that I brought it up and even said, "You've seen that crack". I said I didn't notice that before and it sort of concerned me. I told him that I wanted to think about it tonight. He basically wants me to stick to the deal. What do you guys think?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-17-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
I wouldn't give a damn what he wants, you're the one writing the check. It may or may not be a big deal, but if it concerns you have a fiberglass shop bid repairing it. Show the seller the quote and have him knock that amount off the price.

I don't really get not detailing the boat before showing / selling it. I'm not really one, but many buyers won't even consider something that's dirty, whether it's in good shape or not.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-17-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
Find another boat. Spider cracks could split to more cracks or it could never spread. Feeling lucky?

Or you could have it repaired and wonder if its going to match the rest of the boat.

I would try to find another boat. IMO.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Wow, I'm sure getting a range of responses...Big E, can you take a look at this picture and tell me what you think?

Upload
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-17-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
Those cracks look like the result of an impact, not a stress crack. I think they are unlikely to spread. As they are in a spot where they are not very noticable I would use it as a negotiating point but not stress it if a deal is made.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2006, 6:03 AM Reply   
For what it's worth the transom on the Tige is about 3 inches thick in that spot- not likely to be structural beyond the gel coat. If you fix it- it will cost you a bunch and discolor eventually, just because it's always in the water. Great for negotiating your price, but wouldn't end the deal over it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-18-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
I agree that looks like a 1-time impact issue, and they should not spread. If the transom is really 3" thick there, though, it was a hard hit.

In my experience, fiberglass can be repaired to good as new in almost any situation except fires. That looks like about $500 max in repairs to me, probably less. I have never heard of a good 'glass shop having problems matching gelcoat or discoloration later, but will5150 & Big E obviously have... Definitely nothing to kill the sale over.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I'm not saying the gelcoat will actually discolor- sorry If I misrepresented that- It's just a tough place to keep clean with the exaust and water always staining the gel coat. I use a PTFE cleaner on my boat a couple of times a year to get the yellowing that occurs from the water off- not a major issue, just saying I wouldn't worry too much about a dead perfect color match on the lower part of the transom. Also a soft hit could easily crack the gell coat like that, but I doubt if it effected the transom strength- It really is about 3" thick across the transom, thicker toward the bottom. That's part of the reason it weighs in at 4000lbs.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Daniel, that helps alot for you to post a picture of it. I had the impression they were alot larger than that. You know that the bottom half of the cracks wont spread anymore because it runs down to the exhaust cut out, so it cant go any farther to that side.

I take back what i said before and i wouldnt let this stop me from buying the boat. Even if you have it repaired and it doesnt match up, sitting that low you would be the only one to ever notice it. I would try to negociate over that.

Good luck.
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-18-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
The transom on a tige is very thick and that is only on the top layer or two, I wouldnt let it hinder your decision.

I hope to welcome you to the family