Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    jay_23            06-23-2006, 1:59 AM Reply   
i've been looking for a cheaper new boat and was wondering if anyone has ridden behind the moomba outback v and the mobius lsv???? what are the differences between them,wake wise??? plus, what options do you owners recommend??? i'll probably wait and order a 2007 at the boat show this year. thanks
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2006, 5:17 AM Reply   
I've ridden behind both. The Outback V is last years (05) Mobius LSV. The '06 LSV is a totally new boat.
IMO, they both put out good wakes, witht the LSV having the edge in size. The LSV is also a bigger boat, with immense storage capacity and great styling.
The Outback V is a great bargain and gets the job done. Some say it's a bit too shallow for them, but it's all personal preference. Tower, ballast and all the wb goodies are options on the Outback V.
I would try and test drive them both if you could and decide if the few extra grand is worth it for the LSV.

I'd recommend at least the Performance Package on any Moomba.

Good luck!!
Old    jay_23            06-23-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
well does'nt the mobius come with pretty much everything you need, besides efi. i think that is part of the performance package though. i've just heard moomba uses cheaper material to build there boats??? thanks for the help!!!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
The Mobius LSV comes with the tower, etc and is ready to ride out of the box.

Yes, the 325 is part of the performance package.

No, they are not made with 'cheaper' materials. The vinyl, fiberglass, gelcoat and construction methods are identical to Supra's. Same engines and other mechanicals too.

They just don't come with all the bells and whistles or as many options, standard.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
NAW is correct, Moomba makes a great boat for the money, and both of those hulls are good ones. The Outback V (old LSV) is nice if you weight it properly. NAW is correct that all the materials are the same, except I believe for the vinyl, which I thought I understood was not the same.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
I thought the vinyl was the same but the padding was better on supra's?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
From my understanding, they use a 22 ounce carpet in Moombas (40 oz in Supras), but you can upgrade.

I also understand that the vinyl is the same, but stitching is a single french seam, and Supra uses a double french seam (or something like that! lol)

Just going off memory here, though.

Oh yeah, and there is some difference in padding. Supra uses the same padding on all horizontal and vertical surfaces where as Moomba uses different paddings on it's horizontal and vertical surfaces....again, just going by memory here.

(Message edited by ripr on June 23, 2006)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-23-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
We have a Mobius XLV which is the biggest model, I love it. I am not sure if the wakes are the same but my wake is SICK (even with the ballast empty)
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-23-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
for 06' the vinyl in the LSV is the exact same as the supra, nit sure about the padding though. We have an 06 LSV and love it...especially with extra weight.

Pictures of ours.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ryanryan5102/album?.dir=mail&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http% 3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
Old    jay_23            06-23-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
hey ryan, thats a sweet looking boat you got. if you guys dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your lsv???? i was wondering if the price from state to state are pretty much the same!!! i'm not really concern about the construction of the little stuff, mainly the mechanical stuff!!! thanks
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-23-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
all the mechanical stuff is basicly the same in most boats...they all use the same parts from the same suppliers. Only thing Moomba and Supra do that's different from everyone else is they use a drive by wire system for the throttle...not bad, just different from everyone else.

Mine was 41k plus TT&L...right about 46 out the door. It's loaded with basicly everything but the heater. That's with the 3 yr. warranty...even custom wheels for the trailer.

The only changes we have made are adding new sacs to the rear and some under the seats in the bow, had to rewire the amp...SC had it backwards, so I had bass in the tower speakers and not the sub...now it jams pretty hard, and had the windshield tinted. The only thing I wish was an option was some kind of interior lighting. All in all, I'm very happy with it, and this is coming from someone who came from a Nautique and almost bought another one.
Old    jay_23            06-25-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
thanks everyone for your 2-cents. t think am going to order a '07, mobius lsv at this years boat show!!!! with the upgraded 325 efi motor
Old     (chefwong)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-25-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
I have a moomba mobius LSV 04 witch is now the same as the 06 outback and I love it you can suprizly enough get a great shaped wake from weighing it down and add a wakeplate. I've ridden on 2006 malibu's and everything and I like the wake better. Nothing however compares to the supra 24ssv wake.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-26-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Hey Bro let me break it down for you, the mobius LSV is only 4500$ more than the V because you get more boat. More boat more ballast bigger wake. mobius,moomba and supra are all the same boats. They all have Indmar engines just like malibu. Very strong very reliable.Now the reason these boats are so cheap is because your not getting great upolstry,carpet or the bells and whistles but that doesnt make it a bad boat just cheaper. My first boat was an 04 Moomba outback. I think it was a great starter boat and properly weighted the wake was nice. I had no problems what so ever. I will say Ive recently upgraded to a 06 VLX but only because I wanted the bells and whistles and got sick of sacks And no perfect pass.But I think there great boats for the money and they hold there value.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Jason, make sure I get a pull when it gets here!
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-26-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
We just got a 06 Moomba Mobius LSV and we absolutely love it. Got the ballast system in it and the wake is really good with it. I have had all levels of riders ride behind it and they all love it. The wake is super clean and comparable to any boat that I have ever ridden behind.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
Arun, are you running any extra whight, do you have the upgraded ballast 2 500 in back plus 800 up front.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-26-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
Randy, I have the smaller sacs in the back and the 800 in front. I actually just picked up an extra sac that I am going to put in the middle.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Arun, thanks, I'm debating if we might be running to much wight in ours. Even at 23.5 mph the the wake wants to curl over at 80 ft line. Running 1250 up front, 2 500's in the back, plus another 150 in lead and a 500 in the middle. If we have 6 or more peeps in the boat we don't run the middle 500. You having any problems with the wake washing over & what do you set your trim plate at? Trying to convince my son that we might have to much wight and I get the "what are you thinking look" The wake is BIG with a hard ramp but not as consistent as I would like.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-27-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Randy...having that much weight in the front seems like it would be bound to wash out any wake...
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-27-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Randy, I think you definitely need to go about 25 to 26 with that weight. We ride at about 25 or a little more and we are not running as much weight. Also we keep the trim plate at 3/4 maybe a tiny bit less.
Old    jay_23            06-27-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
i have one more question to ask you all. does the factory wakeplate work the same as a wedge??? and greg am sure i'll be calling you if i get it so we can mess with the boat!!!
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-28-2006, 4:41 AM Reply   
IMO, you'd be better off buying a one or two year old used Nautique or Master Craft, they'll hold a much better price and the original owner took the new/used price hit. Overall quality is leap and bounds ahead of moomba. If you buy a new Moomba, you'll sell it for much less than you paid for it in a year or two when you'll trade up for one of thee boats
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
Craig, have you looked at the 06 LSV or XLV? Skiers Choice has stepped up with this boat. Fit & finish, wake size & shape, tower, options, trailers. This is not the same entry level boat of 3 or 4 years ago. Check out the 06 Wake Board mag boat review for the 06 LSV rated the wake at Pro level along with big props about the boat in general. This is my 2nd LSV (had a 03 Gravity Games) and i really like this boat. For 30K less the the other 2 brands you mentioned, i can skip the lighted cup holders thank you. And about the resale loss comment, I sold my 3 year old boat with 300 plus hours on it for $2,000 less then I paid for it.
Old    jay_23            06-28-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
thanks for that info. randy, thats good to hear they hold there value well. that just helps my decision even more..
Old     (saltyoysters)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
love my 06 xlv , 43500. + taxUpload
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-28-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
Randy,
I've got 80 hours on my 06' LSV. We've moved weight around a lot. We tried 1200lbs in the back, and 1000lbs up front. It didn't produce as good a wake as 500lbs in the back lockers, 600 in front of the back seat and 1000lbs up front. The LSV seams to like the weight up front. We run the trim at 1/4 up from neutral. The wake does tend to wash out at 80ft. My son rides 80 to 85 behind SAN and 75 to 80 behind the X star. The LSV he's at 70 to 75. The wake starts off narrow but gets really wide. Han-N it is a great starter boat. By the way the vinyl in the 06' LSV is the same as the 05 Supra's.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Dave, did you mean 500 on each side or 250 for a total of 500.
Old    jay_23            06-30-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
nice ride mark!!!!
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-02-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Hey Randy,
I ment 250 in each locker for a total of 500. Thats the gravity III set up.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave, I think that's why I have to run so much up front, I'm running 500 in each side in the trunk.