Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    phx450            06-20-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I was pulling the truck down the ramp and she hit a rock while waiting. I took the boat out for a quick spin, seemed okay. Two of the fins have a slight bend. How much of a bend is okay?

I tried to pull it off and it is stuck on. Need to find a prop puller here in phoenix. Any ideas?

fix the old or buy new?
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Always carry a spare!!!!Buy a prop puller and a new prop and get the old one fixed.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-20-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
get a prop where you can change out the fins.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-20-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   

ummmm no.
Old    phx450            06-20-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Any place to buy an aftermarket prop for a decent price.

I like the idea of having a new one and a spare.
Old    bocephus            06-20-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Change out the fins, maybe for an I/O but not for a direct or V-Drive. Get an ACME or OJ! Most marine stores have pitch blocks and can fix your old prop relatively quickly and for cheap. Personally I'm a big fan of Century Marine, but that's me.
Old    phx450            06-20-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Locations Phoenix? What about the puller?
Old    bocephus            06-20-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Bergeron Marine, West Marine, Paradise Watersports (I think), Century Marine, etc...
Old    bigrich            06-20-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Try Wakeside as well. Great place to purchase stuff. No hassle return and free shipping. I also
bent my pro on my brand new V215 on fathers day weekend. Ruined the weekend. Anybody ever seen a grown man cry on fathers day???
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-20-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
find a girlfriend that doesn't bend props!

haha j/k
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-20-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
What ever you do, don't blame the girlfriend for dinging the prop! You are lucky to have one that will drive the boat, don't screw it up! Remember, we all fall into two catagories: those of us who have messed up a prop, and those who haven't messed one up yet.

As others have said, your best bet is to go buy a brand new prop and a puller. Take the dinged prop off and send it to be repaired. When it comes back, you have a spare. Having a spare can really save your vacation!

Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-20-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
You should buy a prop puller, particularly if you're going to keep a spare on board anyways. I know one of the companies mentioned sells a kit, spare prop, puller, and spare nut and pins. It's all in a nice box that you can stash on board somewhere.

Then get that bent prop fixed.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-20-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Might also be good time to change the prop pitch. How does the boat pull out of the hole fully loaded? If sluggish then droppping pitch will make it come out of the hole faster. You could loose a mile or two off the top end but who cares how fast your boat goes. Having the RPM's higher when riding will often make the boat hold speed better. Very nice especially if you do not have Perfect Pass YET!
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
I would go to Paradice Watersports. They are the best crew in town.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
WHAT ROD SAID!!! (Don't punish your driver, especially given the relationship)

Then... Take your boat out, put it through its paces. Do not run stereo. Listen/feel for vibration coming out of the hole, at wakeboard speed, and at top speed. If you feel none, you might be OK. If you feel a little, you can try pitch blocks like Bocephus said, or i've fixed them adequately by putting a block of wood behind the blades and hitting it with a hammer enough times until the bent blades line up with the good blades (spin it and look from many angles to be sure). Hacker tactic, yes, but it saved $400. Or you could buy a new one, plus a puller, and keep the hacked repair as your emergency spare.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-20-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Check your local repair facility. They might have one that did not get picked up within the 30 days or so. If not save up the $400. BTW, I would at least make her make it up to you....LOL
Old    phx450            06-20-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
She was pretty upset about it.....But she doesn't mind us going to Bartlett every sunday! We have gone 10 straight sundays. Too bad I stink at Wakeboarding. Good at drinking beer though, a true pro.

Majority of the pullers in town are running at $150.

I checked wakeside. The prop that they have for sale for my boat is a 3 fan prop, the one that is stock is a 4 fan. Now what?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
pull the codder pin,unscrew the nut holding the prop on 3/4 off the use a block of wodd behind the prop and then with a hammer hit it hard in different locations ..this should get it off ..

if not if you have or a friend has a small torch heat the brass part of the prop all around where it is attached to the shaft fir a few minutes then repeat above direction and i guarantee it will pop off..works for me every time..

IF not buy a prop puller :-)
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-20-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
The best place I have found to buy props is www.propellersonline.com. These guys are awesome. I have bought several props from them and nothing first class service and the pricing I have found. Example of their service. I bought a new prop as a spare before last summer for my 02 Centurion and this year I bought an 06 Centurion. So I called them and asked if I could change out props for one that I could use on my 06. They said no problem as long as the prop was never used. Smooth transaction. They stock most of everything. Just because it is not on their website does not mean they don't have it. Check em out.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
Harmonic prop puller, easy to use. www.deltaprop.com also excellent service and prices