Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    supra_herman            03-01-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 24 ssv. I have the full gravity ballast and all that, but i am having trouble finding just where to put the wake plate. I dont ride so its hard to tell. My 14 year old son rides. But we cannot figure where to put this thing. Any input from u experienced guys would be nice. Also my son is an intermediate rider. Should i completely load the ballast. Or nothing untill he has done all he can with no ballast. Ive only had it out 3 times at the end of the season last year. Got it at the end of the year. But i have had boats and i ski and barefoot. Thanx for any input.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-01-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
I dont own a Supra but the plate is just a shaping device. I would suggest filling ballast to the point your son is comfortable with the wake size and then use the plate to clean up the wake for that speed and size of wake.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-01-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
i have the 22ssv and when the boat is full of weighti generaly leave it up all the way or down just a little bit. i think that it is all personal preferrence. i have other riders when the ballest is full, like it about half way. i would have him ride it in the different positions to see what he like best.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
I have read that lots of people put it between 1/2 and 3/4 up.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-01-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Start off with ballast about half full and the wakeplate 3/4 of the way up. If your son wants the wake bigger fill the ballast up all of the way and keep the plate between 3/4 and 1/2 of the way up.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
how much ballast is in the new 24 gravity games? i remember seeing somewhere it was above 2000 lbs. that might be too much wake depending on your son's skill level. i'm probably alone on this, but i'm of the mindset that, if you have a boat that produces a decent weightless wake (which the 24 ssv certainly does), you should ride without ballast until you have a few fundamental spins, inverts, and general board control down. that way, you're forced to learn proper mechanics and edge and pop properly, so, when you do start adding weight, your progression will be much quicker. i've been doing this with my vlx, and i really feel like it's paying off. i don't have to depend on a big wake for pop anymore, and my technique has really improved (although it still needs a lot more work). not to mention, the gas bill lately has been a lot more bearable
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
I don't have the Supra but do have the Moomba and it's the same plate. I ride half way up. All the way down will flatten the wake out more. All the way up will peak it out. Mine has 250lbs on either side of the engine and 550 in the ski locker. I fill them up all the way.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
I have been in lots of Supras with the wakeplate and most riders want it all the way up and the ballast full. Having it all the way up gives the best pop off the wake.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-01-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
I have a 22SSV and the normally ride with the plate 3/4 to all the way up depending on water conditions. The choppier the water the further down I put the plate.

Some people above mentioned all the plate does is shape the wake, while it does affect the shape a lot, it actually does a little more than that. With the plate down, the nose of the boat comes down (and the rear is pushed up a little) -this makes the wake much smaller with a more rampy shape, with or without weight. It's kind of pointless to run ballast and keep the plate all the way down. I would start with the plate up around 3/4 to all the way and fill the bags about half way. If it's too much wake, adjust from there. Also try filling the front bag up more instead of putting the plate down if you want a more rampy wake.
Old    supra_herman            03-02-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
u guys are a lot of help my son cant wait to get back out....all i need is some better weather. Its cold in dayton,OH
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-05-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Herman, dont have the Supra but have a Mobus LSV, uses the same plate system, I'm pulling mostly advanced riders & a lot depends on how far back you ride and boat speed. 2,200 pounds of ballest at 80 feet of rope, 23 MPH half way on the plate seems to shape the wake nice, 3/4 down makes the wake steeper & real hard, a couple of guys in our crew ride at 3/4, most like zero to half.
Old     (grampsrider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-05-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
ive got a 04ssv and i ride with full ballast and the wakeplate at about half way up.it puts out a pretty sick wake then.i would say jus fill the ballast up as much as you can but if the wake rolls over then stop right before the wake rolls over
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Keep the plate all the way up unless he is at a very long line and the wake starts to curl over, then start moving it down to shape the wake. It's a big boat and at 14 he is probably very light. He should be capable of learning his basic spins and inverts with zero to 1/2 ballast. The sky will be the limit for him with that boat-enjoy. Wish I had one at 14, heck I wish I had my own at 34.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-05-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
Schooledrider, no disrespect but I disagree, load it up, bigger wake = more hight & is easier for learning both spins & inverts.
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-05-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
hey randy did your new boat get here yet?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-05-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
Dan, what up, yeah it's still at AWS waiting for the weather to get better to bring it home to central Oregon, don't want to tow it over the pass in the snow. I stopped by and checked it out last week, stoked, I will post a pic as soon as I get it home. Might be a couple of weeks, Alex is riding on the Delta next weekend and then in Orlando for 10 days riding & filming. How many hours on yours?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-06-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I've just seen many young riders rip and go huge with smaller wakes when they have to focus on fundamentals and are not intimidated by wake size. Younger riders tend to go at slower speeds also. I'm all for bigger and better myself, but often tone down our wake when teaching beginners and smaller riders. 1/2 ballast on a 24 SSV is bigger than a Mobius LSV fully loaded-rode behind both last Summer.

(Message edited by rmcronin on March 06, 2006)