Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
I have an 02 X-Star which I just recently got new skins for from Mastercraft due pinking problems on the original skins. I was wondering how hard it would be to install the new skins myself because I was quoted a price of $1500 to install them, and would rather save the money if possible.

Has anyone attempted this task themselves? If so, any instructions and tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-18-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Matt what are skins and what is pinking? Sorry for being ignorant.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-18-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
Randy, skins are new seat covers, and pinking was an issue MC had a few years back w/ their interior turning colors (if you will)

Matt, a friend of mine had the same issue, received the skins from MC, removed his old and had a local shop install, or secure the new skins -- he was out for less than 250$$$$ may want to check into that w/ your local upholstery shop...

(Message edited by showtime on February 18, 2006)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-18-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thats BS......I'd call MC customer care line and raise hell.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
Actually, I am more than happy with everything Mastercraft has done for me. They gave me all new skins even though I am the third owner of this boat, and the warranty was up. That's pretty good customer treatment if you ask me... I wouldn't think of asking them to pay for the installment of the skins after all they have alreay done. I will definitely never buy anything but a MC now. I Would just like some instructions on installing them myself if anyone could help me that...
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
So you will only buy defects.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
All boats will have problems... The important thing is having a dealer and manufacturer that will take care of you when problems arise. I think I have found that, and thus, I will stick with them. All that said, this was never intended to start another thread arguing about what boat company is better. Everyone has there own opinion and is entitled to it.

All I want to know is whether anyone has any instructions or tips for installing new skins. If anyone could speak directly to this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-19-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
This is something you may want to let your local shop take care of. You want everything to be straight and the seams to match up. I think the price you were quoted for installation was a little too high. We had six seat cushions done last year (we had the skins) and we paid $360 for the installation...
Old    robertt            02-19-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if you need to use special stainless staples, or will the standard Home Depot staples work?

I have one skin to replace, and thats the only thing that is stopping me.

Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-19-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
You can buv stainless steel staples at Home Depot. Others will rust and causing lots of problems.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-20-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
Stainless or monel
http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p30492405-k24-g4-~corrosion+resistant+staples+gun-nover?sourceid=13
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-21-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
I had my skins redone last year and the installer did it for under $300. I wouldn't want to try this myself- they are REALLY tight and an upolstery shop has all of the tools. Also- check the foam out while they're apart- you can get them treated with an agent to keep them from molding later. And yes- stainless staples.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-27-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Matt, I'd have an installer do them, that's what I did. It's a bigger job than it looks, and I'm pretty certain I would have butchered it good