Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-25-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
So, this it the first winter in my lakehouse and the first winter with my xstar. I'd like to keep the boat on the lift all winter and ride when possible (im in texas), but we do get freezes every now and then.

so, what do yall recommend I do every time.

Drain ballasts, thats for sure.
Drain the block every time?
get some sort of heater for the engine compartment?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-25-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
I'm in TX as well and ride year round, though we don't keep our boat on a lift. After every outing starting here pretty soon it's top off the tank, drain ballast and bilge, drain manifolds and block. It's a bit of a chore and even though we rarely ever dip below freezing for more than a couple of hours, better safe than sorry.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-25-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
hmm..these may be worth it to me
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM000
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-25-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
Texas is big up in th epanhandle you'd proabbly need to winterize, btu if your down wher I'm at (houston) it's more than liekly overkill. I've never "winterized" a boat in 4 years. DJ, I think your in Austin, you'd Probably be ok, to be on the safe side you could put a low wattage drop light in your engine compartment on cold days or just stuff towels around the motor. IS your x-star the one with the decals off of it? Black and white
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-25-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
A standard safety light w/ 150 Watt bulb in the engine compartment will keep everything above freezing. I live on a lake in NE Texas and have friends that do this. The problem is, what if you have an ice storm and the power is off for 2 days? If you don't live there, then I wouldn't trust the heater setup.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-25-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
Fill gas tank, use Stabil, pull drain plug for rain outlet, and place air dryers around your amps. Your biggest enemy will be the mildew.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-25-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
I'm in Austin, so typically we will get 1 hard freeze a year. 1 out of 10 it will stay < 32 for several days. So normally, its no big deal, but it only takes 1 time...

Adam: No, I had the green/white xstar with the old school tower.

Machew: good thinking about the mildew, I hadnt considered that.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
I would not use any kind of light bulb for heat. Install a block heater. There is fuel in the engine compartment that can ignite if there was to be a spark from the bulb. Very unsafe, I have seen it happen... For a 40 pluse dollar boat that is a huge gamble to take.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-26-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
Why should we fill up the gas tank in the winter? What can happen with an empty tank when it gets below freezin? Thanks.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
Condensation = water in gas tank.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-26-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
Stanfield...makes sense, thanks for the answer. I now will fill up the tank as part of the winterization process. Thanks.