Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
I am tired of carrying (6) 5 gallon cans down 50 flights of stairs to my boat and then spending half an hour fueling my boat. Is there a better way? Also, has anyone used those quick fill cans. I saw a 11 gallon can that they say empties in 15-20 seconds.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
I just pull my boat up to the gas pump, everyone seems to do that around here. That or we fill up on the lake at the Marina, but it's more expensive. Can you not just pull it up to the pump? Maybe that's a southern thing, heh.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
i heard good things about the quick fills, i do the same thing you do scott, i was thinking of getting one of those gas caddies that holds like 20 some gallons and has a pump, but they cost like $300 thats close to a month of riding.

your 5 gallon cans DO NOT buy ventless cans they take forever to empty, i poked a hole in the top of mine they are faster then they were but still slow. the best can i've ever used i bought at NAPA i forgot the brand name of them you could probably look it up on there site, its like $9 a can but worth it, empties in about 20-30 seconds, flow is awesome on them.

i saw a quick scene on a vid once where they took a hose for something, and ran it from the cans and got it flowing pretty good, but dont know how they did it.

(Message edited by mmobius2001 on July 11, 2005)
Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 10:09 PM Reply   
Phil, you are right, the cans I have are ventless and they take forever and they are really sloppy. By the time I am done, I probably lost a gallon or so down the side of the boat.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 11:12 PM Reply   
got to love the non-spill cans.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2005, 5:16 AM Reply   
I have the 28 Gallon Gas Caddy and love it. I you decide to get one make sure you buy the pump also. It makes it alot easier.

I don't know how it would do down your stairs, but the tank is set on hand trucks and it is pretty rigid.
Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
I also have the ventless cans with holes poked in them after a frustrating 30 minute episode of emtying cans. I read about this trick that helps a bunch. Buy 4 feet of 1" plastic tube, take the nozzle off the can and stick one end in there, the other 10" or so into the fill tube on your boat. Put your hand around the tube in the can to seal it and blow into the can. Once you see the gas get all the way through the tube your set. (this takes a little practice, but you'll get it) Keep the can higher than the fill tube on the boat and let the magic of siphoning do it's thing. It's the best method I've found yet.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-12-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
I have one of those Hunsaker cans - holds 14 gallons. The thing is beatch to carry - I usually just transfer some of the gas to a six gallon can. Pretty much negates having the can in the first place - but I want to use it cause it cost $70 bucks!
Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
I thought about my post as I was filling my boat last night. I used a rag to help seal the opening of the can as I blew into it, that was a lot easier, empties the cans much quicker with no mess.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
How big our your tank in the boat?
I have a 04 Tige with a 38g tank. so i never need to fill on the water.

Can you add a second tank in the boat?( like they do on trucks, my ford now holds 98g 28 stock and 70 second tank)
Old    robertt            07-13-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
I would love to have a tank in lieu of the stock ballast tank on my boat, my home lake does not allow ballast to be used...but they couldn't say much about a fuel tank:-)

Say, 400 gallons:-)
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-13-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
thats expensive ballast...
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-13-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
hey scott, your post has got me wanting to try that, now my ? is how do you "blow" into the can, like blow through the vent? or what, im not understanding that part.
Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
The idea is to blow air into the can so it forces the gas through the tube into the boat. Close the vent if your can has one, unscrew the fill nozzle and put the end of your 4' tube in the can. Put a rag in your hand and wrap it around the tube, leave a little opening for you to blow into. When you blow air into the can, the added pressure forces gas through the tube. The can has to be above the fill tube on the boat. (I just sit the can on top of the boat just forward of the windshield on my Nautique. Once the gas starts flowing, it sucks all the gas out of the can. (At this point you can take your hand off) Caution: the gas won't stop when the tank is full, when you are getting close to full use the traditional method.
Old    hyp3rl1t3            07-13-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
We use Jaz-Jugs, they are about 6 gallons but they empty in about 15 seconds or so. We just throw them on our ATVs and that does the work carrying them.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
I just use a $6 siphon pump. Stick one end into can, the other into boat (added a little extra tubing), give it a couple squeezes to prime, then let it siphon out. As mentioned above, can has to be higher than boat tank.
Old    fun9c1            07-14-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Call me crazy, but I just take my boat into town and fill it up. Don't know your situation, but we have a TON of stairs down to the boat, and the ramp is about 1/4 mile across the lake, 5-10 minute drive to the ramp by car and 5 minutes to town. I figure I have to go to town to get the gas anyway, so I might as well bring the boat! :-)
I figure that's gotta save time and it's definitely easier. And unless I had more than one 11 gallon can, I'm making one trip to town instead of three to fill the tank. And no messing with stairs and spilling gas into the lake. But I'm lucky the ramp and gas station is so close. I'm also lucky that the ramp is free, almost always empty, and I usually have someone around that is comfortable driving the boat and/or trailer.

(Message edited by fun9c1 on July 14, 2005)
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-14-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
you're crazy!!!!