Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Hey there, I need some input on how I would solve a problem that I have with my new lift install.

I built the Hewitt Cantilever boat lift at the public boat launch then floated it over and dropped it into place. When I set it in place in the water, I did not set the pins for the back legs high enough. So now, when the boat is in the lift it sits at a somewhat steep angle.

My problem is, is that I want to raise the back of the lift while it is sitting in place in the water. I need some input on how I can lift the back end so that I can raise it higher and reset the cotter pins that hold it into place. Hewitt sells some kind of winch assembly for $250.00, but that seems like a lot of money for the one time that I would use it. The water depth is about 7 or 8 feet deep, so I cannot touch the bottom. Someone suggested setting an innertube under one of the back bars and inflating it. Any help would be great.

lift pic
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-11-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Do you know anybody that has an engine hoist? If so, you may be able to place it on the dock and attach the chain to the rear of the lift and raise it that way. You could probably rent one for $50-100.
IF you don't mind me asking, I am thinking about getting a lift and was wondering what that one costs and how tough the assembly/install was? What is the lift rated at, and how easy is it to raise and lower your boat?
Thanks!
Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 10:20 PM Reply   
Tony, yea that just might work, how far does that arm extend I would probably need it to extend a good 4 feet or so.

The lift is rated at 3600 pounds. I paid about 3200 for all the options and accessories (I needed the longer legs in the back, I also needed the V-drive bunks and I got the full length carpeted guide on rails) I thought it was a pretty good deal. I live in Washington but I got a better deal from the dealer in Oregon.

As far as the assembly went, it was pretty easy, the hardest part was moving it around. The thing is basically a 10x10 square that weighs 400 pounds. I did not have room on site to build it so I had to float it in......pain in the butt.

Anyway, the lift raises and lowers manually. You have the option of adding a electric motor that runs off standard 110V. I did not order that option because I was short of cash plus, the lift is at a weekend house so I thought that it would'nt be a big deal doing it by hand but let me tell you....SPEND THE EXTRA FOR THE ELECTRIC MOTOR. Lowering the boat is no problem, but raising it takes forever and will sober you up real quick.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-11-2005, 10:30 PM Reply   
Where at in Washington? I live by Tacoma on American Lake. My dock partner had a Basta lift installed last summer. Very nice lift! But it was pretty spendy. I think around 6500 installed. I just don't have that kind of cash, but am definitely interested in the lift you have. Sounds like its a pretty good lift!

How much extra for the electric motor?

I just checked a local rental place, they rent the hoists for $32/day. Not real sure how far the arm extends, I have only used them for pulling car engines.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-11-2005, 11:25 PM Reply   
I would use a towable/innertube to do the lifting. The bouyant force is equal to the weight of the water displaced, 62lbs/cubic foot. You could use a scuba tank to do inflating duties, a standard aluminum tank holds 80 cu. ft. of air. If you are a certified diver just suit up and do it under water once it's neutrally bouyant. If not find a buddy who it and have him help.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-11-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
All you really need is two 55 gallon drums and two ratchet straps. Lower the lift so the frome is 2 or 3 feet under water, wrap the staps around the frame and the drums, pull tight and ratchet the back end up as far as you need to. Shuold be a one person job in 30 minutes or less.
Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
I live in Everett, but the boat is at our weekend place on Lake Sutherland near Port Angeles.

You can look up the lift online by doing a Google search for Hewitt Boat Lifts. If you are truly interested, you can email me at crazy4two@msn.com and I will provide you with the name and contact number for the dealer in Oregon. He gives great prices if you drive down and pick it up.

Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
If you don't have the drums available, use old styrofoam (sp?) dock floats. On our lake you can always find them in the dumpster at the marina. Put them under the boat cradle and strap them to it, then use two more rachet straps (one on each end) to pull the base up to the cradle. I too bought a motor for mine after ending a relaxing night cruise with a 5 minute arm/back workout at 1AM. It's worth the extra $$$!

Tony, when considering a lift, think about how much the lake level fluctuates. The cable lifts generally give you more travel than the cantilever style.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
How did you float it over from the marina? Whatever you did then, just do that now and only in the rear of the lift. Air compressor and a towable Tube seem like the trick to me.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-12-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
I go throught this every year. Get a long 4X4 (or a long metal pole), and use it as a lever to lift the lift. If the water is too deep to stand - use the lever from the dock. Once you do one leg, the other is easy cause it's on 3 legs.
Old    robertt            07-12-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
Just do this. Buy yourself a 14' long 4x4. Put something at the very top that you can use to tie the end of a come-along into (or any other manual winch type devise). I would just buy a 6" long eye bolt or something like that.

Anyway, put a scrap piece of 2x4 or something on the bottom of it with a few nails, then put it vertically next to the thing you want to raise. Just jack it up.

I am trained as a rescue diver, and believe me inflating something can be trouble. Those lifts are a pain, you have to get it perfect, too high and you are just as screwed as too low.

The 55 gallon drum and a big strap or two works really good too, assuming you have one.

You can use a piece of pipe in lieu of the 4x4 if you have easier access to pipe. Point is that you have a foot at the bottom of a rigid object with a winch on the top that you can use to pull up on anything.

Its really not as easy as it sounds, you are going to have to do one bolt hole at a time, the aluminum seizes very easy.

Just be patient and learn to hold your breath for a LONG time.

Have fun.
Old    ag4ever            07-12-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Can you not just fasten it to the boat, and lower the boat in the water and keep cranking untill it lifts itself up, then drop the rear legs, and then lift the boat and release the straps holding it to the boat?