Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-05-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
I finally get to bring the boat home this weekend to get it all cleaned and waxed for the summer. I went to 3 different auto part stores and all they sell are car waxes.

I've heard that you shouldnt use a car wax on the boat but don't know if thats true or not. I used it on my old boat but if there is something better I'd rather use that.

Any input?

Thanks
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-05-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
Don't use a car wax... pick up some Meguiar's products. All products in their line are good. I use the high-gloss marine wax. You can pick it up at Boater's World or West Marine or any place like that. If you can't find one, cruise around online.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-05-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/168657.html

Or do a search on "wax"
Old    leggester            05-05-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Walmart, Kmart, Target... ... all have boat wax. Carneuba (sp) is a standard type.

Don't really know whay an auto parts store would though.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Use 303 - works just a well, easier, and has better UV protection.

Old    swass            05-05-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
Don't be a victim, Mark!
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-05-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Swass- not everything is a conspiracy...there is a difference between car and marine products. Tell any professional you use car products on your boat and they'll laugh at you.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I do listen to them every once in a while.
Old    swass            05-05-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Who said anything of a conspiracy? OK - I'm listening: Please describe the difference between "car" and "marine" wax.

Was this "professional" in the marine business, per chance?
Old    sandman            05-05-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
Karl,
303 if for vinyl, not fiberglass
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-05-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
I live in Seattle. Lots of yachts and yacht detailers in Seattle -- so those are the "professionals" I was referring to. And I said in my post -- I don't claim to be an expert...I DON'T know the difference. They do.

I do know that the surface of a car is much different than the surface of a boat...and imagine that might play into it.

Old    sandman            05-05-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
3M makes a great line of boat waxes and compounds that you can purchase online or at most local boat shops. They are pricey though
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
303 works on any cross linked polymer including vinyl, gel coat, and some paints. It also works on glass, even though it is mineral. I really don't enjoy waxing my boat. 303 does the job a lot easier and adds the UV protection. Try it.

There are some manufacturers who do formulate car and marine differently, but most are similar. The big difference is not in the wax, but the carrier.
Old    oldschool            05-05-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Cal, wax is wax bro. You can put it on anything. I put it on chrome, glass, powder coating, aluminum, paint, gelcoat, etc. You should laugh at those professionals that waste their money on something that says "marine" on it. If it beads water off, keep the sun from fading, and keeps dirt off then it works.

Carnauba is a natural material produced in various plant leaves. If you have ever seen leaves that look thick and shiny, it probably has carnauba in it. I learned me this on the cable TV, from a professieonnallll.
Old    wakeupdude            05-06-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
ACTUALLY, good marine wax's do not have cleaners in them that can really harm your gel coat, and over time dull it dratically.
Old    sprucie            05-06-2004, 10:07 PM Reply   
I use what ever kind I can get my wife to apply.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2004, 5:11 AM Reply   
Well I am not a profesional, But I have used car wax, marine wax, and 303. So far I like the 303 best. you wipe it on, and wipe it off. No buffing, and letting dry. You get the water beading, color resteration, and sun screen. It is not cheap though. My vote spend a little extra money and go for the 303. Try one bottle and you will see. It also does very well for the other stuff like vinyl. it puts a nice protective coat on it.
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-07-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
where do you get the 303?
I know I can get it online, but what about a place to get some before theis weekend, like today?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-07-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
drunk money, I have only found it at boat dealerships and marine stores like West Marine. Wal Mart or something similiar does NOT carry it. Its pricey, I wish can find it cheaper somewhere.
Old    oldschool            05-07-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Be aware that 303 only protects, it does not clean. So if you have those yellow water stains you'll have to use the elbow grease with some cleaner wax or polishing compound to get it out. Then use the 303.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
anyone tried waxing after 303? would it be a waste of time?

i tried 303 on the gel last year and it didn't last very long. it's expensive stuff to keep washing off in the lake. i was thinking that wax over the 303 might lock it in longer but it might also dull over time.