Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Sorry for a post that could have been answered with a phone call but it is after hours here now. And, well I'm curious.

In regards to re-chroming, is it typical for the plate shop to do the prep or should I bead blast the items being re-plated?
i ask because I am starting a refit of an old SN (see keep busy thread) and want to re-plate the speedos, dash emblem and control handle.
If they need blasting I can do that over the weekend.
I am going to start stripping soon and want to ship off the bright-work Monday latest. The floor will be up and the dash prepped for paint by Sunday. We have a blown out cold front moving through so its good working weather.
Thanks.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-06-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
Go over to Correct Craft Fan, everything you could ever want to know about that boat and how to restore it is there.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
Thanks D and yeah, I am there. This was just a plating question that got chatty.
Thanks again.
Old     (dorK)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-06-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
The Platers will strip the orig chrome/nickel then prep the gear to be plated. If its diecast they will usually rough it up a bit then copper plate it, Polish it up then Nickel and chrome plate.

If you play with it there is a good chance that you will stuff it, Costing you more in the long run!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
Thanks Matt, I had a feeling that was the case.just wasn't sure. have a great weekend.