Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
So I hooked my boat up to the fake a lake (plunger type) this morning so I could warm up the boat to change the oil. After I started it I noticed there wasnt any water coming out of the exhaust so for some reason water wasnt getting through the system. After messing with it for awhile I took the hose off the thru hull and connected it directly to the water hose. This set up worked great and water would flow out of the exhaust when the boat was running. So my question is will I have any problems priming the system when the boat is in the water or was it just not working because of the bad seal between the fake a lake and the hull? I also just changed the impellar so I was concerned that maybe I didnt get back in right but everything appears to be in order there.

(Message edited by maxx_wake on March 14, 2009)

(Message edited by maxx_wake on March 14, 2009)
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-14-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
If you did not huck it back up Right i will do that to. Fake a lake will not cose it not to pick up. Hope you did not mess up your impeller
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
HUH^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ www.spellcheck.com

Make sure you did not hook it up to the ballast intake...
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
It is for sure hooked up to the right through hull. My ballast through hull is a lot farther forward on my boat so it would be tough to get them mixed up. I took the outlet hose of the water pump and looked at the impeller and it still appears to be fine. The only thing I can think of was that the water hose was not getting enough pressure to prime the system up to the impeller because of the bad seal at the fake a lake because when I created a better seal(clamping the hose straight into the transmission cooler) it worked fine. I guess I will just have to go back it into the water and let it run while keeping an eye on the temp gauge.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Ok, now I am really confused. So far have taken the new impeller out and looked at it just to make sure it wasnt damaged. I put it back in and tried adjusting the fake a lake every which way but still no luck. After that I decided it might be that the new impeller wasnt exactly right so I put the old one back in and still nothing. I havent made it out to the lake yet for for a test but at this point I am not optimistic.

(Message edited by maxx_wake on March 19, 2009)
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
What RPM's are you running at? Mine doesn't come out of the exhaust unless I get it up to about 1000rpm with a fake-a-lake.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-19-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Mine takes a few seconds before it starts coming out of the exhaust. I was told not to rev the engine when hooked to the fake-a-lake because it could suck the water hose flat.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
So I am thinking that I must have reinstalled the water pump incorrectly. The only problem is I can only see 1 way how it goes back on with the outlet facing in the right direction. Tonight I took the hose off the through hull and stuck it in a bucket of water and it blew bubbles instead of sucking water.

(Message edited by maxx_wake on March 19, 2009)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
mine usually takes a good 5 seconds before it starts coming out of the exhaust. The 1st time I changed my thermostat and impeller I had the same problem so I shot some silicone spray on the impeller to lube it up and it worked perfectly after that
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
Chris, I thought you sold your Sunsport
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
I will have to give the silicone spray a try. My exhaust manifolds are getting hotter than they should even after just 30 seconds or so of running so I think that there is definitely something wrong.

Montgomery,

I am actually on my third SunSport. Well technically my first boat was a Supra Beast but that is basiclly the same boat as the pre 89 SunSport, then I had the 90 for a couple of years and now I have a 97. They are great boats.
Old     (huskykr)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-20-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
"So I am thinking that I must have reinstalled the water pump incorrectly."

This has got to be your answer. I've actually re-installed my water pump upside down and had the same problem you're describing. When hooked directly to the hose, there is enough pressure from the hose to force water through the engine.

Post up some pics if you can. BTW, what engine are we talking about?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
Sounds like the pump hoses may be reversed, (on backwards) if its blowing out rather than sucking in.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-20-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
I think you guys are right. I took the pump off in the fall when I winterized the boat and just put a plug in the hoses so they wouldnt get anything in them. I knew I would forget which way it goes back on when I put it back on 4 months later so I marked the outlet with a piece of tape but I think I still managed to screw it up. I finally found a picture online of a similar pump and it was installed oposite of the way I have it. I will flip it around tonight and hopefully that will solve the problem. The engine is a PCM 351 Pro Boss.