Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-18-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Im installing new pumps, and have a long length to run from the battery( behind Judges seat ) , to the switches( next to throttle lever ) , then to the pumps in the rear of the boat( V-drive ) .
The guy at Jabsco says that 10 gauge wire should be used. due to the length.
Is that the size everyone is useing, or are you using larger diameter wire?
What would be best solid copper wire, or braided strand.

thanks for any info.

Mike
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
I just completed a detailed inquiry to this same question and came to the conclusion that 10 gauge is adequate for the application. I am going to run 2 separate power/ground for each switch and use 10 gauge for the run from battery to switches and from the switches back to the pumps.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-18-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Why not just use relays next to the pumps? Then you can use very small wire from the switch to the relays.
IMO it beats all that big wire running around less $$ too.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-18-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
12ga stranded is fine and a relay is not needed if you get a switch with the proper current rating.

Kinda funny that Jabbsco say 10ga......... the Ballast Puppy's are not shipped with 10ga that I know of.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-18-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
10 gauge all the way. It really depends on the run but why skimp. What is the cost between 10 and 12?

Relays are not needed. You would need two per pump and that would be a huge wad of wiring. It is so much cleaner to wire them straight to the switch. The switches that come with the pumps are 30amp switches so they will carry the load with not problems.

(Message edited by bchesley on March 18, 2009)
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-19-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
I tried using 12 guage because I had a bunch of it left from another project. I didnt think it would be a big deal because I had a fairly short run. On occasion when I flipped the switch the pump would not start yet the fuse didnt blow. I rewired the entire thing because I was afraid of a melt down. Havent had the problem since.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
10 FTW
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-19-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
The manual that came with my jabsco pumps had a chart for wire gauge and distance. The further you go the thicker the wire. If you want me to look this up, I can.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-19-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
I went with 12 gauge and haven't had any problems so far... but it's a short run, about 10-12 feet, and I've only had it installed for a couple months. I figure if 12 gauge isn't enough, it's easy enough to re-wire later-on with 10-gauge if needed. But the cost difference to 10 was big enough that I figured I'd give 12 a shot...

Since my install is so recent though, I don't feel comfortable endorsing 12-gauge... Ask me next year.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
thanks for the response

Greatdane I have that manual.
Old    K.B.C.            03-20-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
10, if you use anything smaller you'll be kicking yourself when you have to redo it all over again.