Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-22-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
Anyone ridden both? I am looking for a more intermediate/advanced board coming from a beginner/intermediate board. Which will give me a better transition or thoughts on how they ride one better for all around wake riding no cable parks rail rides anything like that.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-22-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
I loved Ibex but is it agressive on edge and pop. One is more mellow on both
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-22-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
the one has a faster glide speed and is smoother all around.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-22-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
You need to talk to Sam Adams, he knows everything about these two boards. And the rest of the Ronix boards.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-22-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
I may sound ignorant but who is Sam Adams other than a founding father of the country. Anyone else have input?
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-22-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
Ha-ha. Sam runs www.4wake.com, he helps me out a lot. I am surprised he is not on here yet. In my opinion, if you're an aggressive rider go with the Ibex. I would look at the Mana too some of my friends ride it and they said it is an awesome board.
Old    sdahockey21            01-22-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Ha ha, thanks a bunch for the props justin.

I think the biggest difference between the One and the Ibex would be the pop off the wake and the feel on edge. Like the what Nick and Tom said, the One has a smoother feel on edge and seems to "roll over" on edge easier than the Ibex. You do not have to "over work" (edge very hard for) the Ibex to get pop off the wake. I have found it harder to take the Ibex into the flats than other boards, mostly because it tends to pop more up than out. Even with this aggressive pop, the Ibex still lands extremely soft.

The One on the other hand does not pop as hard as the Ibex but still has great pop of the wake. The One on edge "rolls over" and sets a nice but mellow edge into the wake. It is not completely locked in but not to loose that you slip out. Basically in between the Ibex and the Covin/Viva. So if you want an all around board that performs well in all areas, go for the One.

Another thing to remember about the One is that the shape changed slightly from 08 to 09. The 09 One has new flow/side vents by the fins of the board for a stronger grip up the wake. This addresses the random slipping out that some people may have experienced on the 07 and 08 One depending on if they rode more centered or tail heavy on the board. The 09 one holds a better edge for both these styles of riding and therefore makes it a great all around freeride shape.
Old    sdahockey21            01-22-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Haha, Actually I was busy typing up my formal report on the One and the Ibex, I hope it helps.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-22-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
i felt like the ibex was faster, and the pop was pretty similar. I just hate the fin setup on both of those boards
Old    mitchp1002            01-28-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
Hey I have a question.

I have the 08 One and I was wondering if the new shape of the 09 is worth upgrading? I am planning on getting the new bindings cuz they look tons better.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
The new shape is more forgiving. They changed the rail a little bit. So some can tell a difference.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Hey luke,
If you want to change the fin setup from hate to love, change the 1 inchers with 4 shank fins. Makes the board ride loose but still lock on edge. I rode these on my covin and now on my dhv1.
THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE!!!
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Tom, I have Shank fins on my wakeskate and I want to get some for my bro's covin. Where did you get yours?
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-28-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   

quote:

By mitch poth (mitchp1002)
I have the 08 One and I was wondering if the new shape of the 09 is worth upgrading?

I've had the 07, 08, and now the 09 and from the one set I've gotten in on the new board, I can tell that I'm going to love it. There's a subtle difference. I thought it tracked smoother and harder towards the wake. I got booted unexpectedly a few times, which I welcome. Overall, I'm stoked and can't wait to ride it again.

Here's a shot of the bottom...you can see they put a slight bevel on the sides. I think the area next to the fin is cupped out a little more. Subtle changes....

Upload
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-28-2009, 10:28 PM Reply   
I would love to drill it for LF cupped fins.
Old    mitchp1002            01-29-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
Hey guys thanks for the input, I think I might have to pick up the 09